Forums

Topic: Why not just do PC Gaming?

Posts 101 to 119 of 119

Pizzamorg

Tasuki wrote:

@Pizzamorg I tried to.get into PC gaming years ago and ran into those problems. I got a PC from Dell and tried to buy the latest games at the time which Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and Hellgate London neither would work and the computer was only 4 months old at the time. I just ended up exchanging CoD 4 for the Xbox 360 version but, I had to eat the $50 I spent on Hellgate London. So again I don't want to have to worry about is this game going to work with my PC every time I want to buy a new game.

As for building a PC I don't have the time for it either.

While I can understand why you prefer PC it's just something that doesn't fit into my time budget nor do I want to worry if X game is going to work on my PC. With consoles I don't have to worry about that.

Yeah, generally, a prebuilt from a company like Dell usually turn out to be pretty *****. You are better to go to a PC builder, rather than to HP/Lenovo or whoever are around still these days. That doesn’t mean you won’t still run into problems, I had a PC from Overclockers that was really poorly built but you’re less likely to run into the problems you have with say Dell, where they sell you a piece of crap at an absurd premium and probably use a bunch of propriety parts to lock you into their upmarked ecosystem, so you can’t even upgrade away from them.

And it is fine to prefer console to PC gaming, I won’t begrudge you that. But claims PC gaming doesn’t accommodate to budgets, or needs monthly upgrades or has compatibility problems just aren’t really true. You can dislike PC gaming because you just don’t like it, but I think it important that misinformation is dispelled.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Tasuki

@Pizzamorg It's not misinformation when it did happen. I don't mind PC gaming but it's not as simple to get into as people make it out to be. If you know how to build a PC and known what games are compatible with was parts it's simple. However for people like me who don't understand that thing you can't just walk into a store buy a PC and then by any game you want like you can with a console.

I buy a Xbox Series X and know I can play Xbox Series X games (at the very least) on it. I don't have to hope and pray that the game will work like a PC.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Pizzamorg

Tasuki wrote:

@Pizzamorg It's not misinformation when it did happen. I don't mind PC gaming but it's not as simple to get into as people make it out to be. If you know how to build a PC and known what games are compatible with was parts it's simple. However for people like me who don't understand that thing you can't just walk into a store buy a PC and then by any game you want like you can with a console.

I buy a Xbox Series X and know I can play Xbox Series X games (at the very least) on it. I don't have to hope and pray that the game will work like a PC.

It is misinformation when none of those statements are true, they all require at minimum caveats to being out and out just not correct at all.

I mean you can walk into an independent PC store and get a similar experience as to what you would get ordering from an online PC builder, but yeah, if you go into a major store you are likely to be ripped off.

And if you are having compatibility issues with every game you are trying to play on your PC, I’d take it in to be serviced and repaired, as that thing is busted.

Matt_Barber

@Tasuki It sucks that you had a bad experience, but all the major online storefronts these days offer no-quibble refunds so, if you buy a game and it doesn't work, you can get your money back straight away. I've never had to use one, but it's good to know that the facility is there.

Also, I don't think it's that hard to get your head around whether the machine you've got meets the hardware requirements. Most of them are just numbers where higher=better, and even things like CPUs and GPUs come in families and generations.

Still, as you say, it's easier with consoles where you don't have to worry about any of this.

Matt_Barber

Cotillion

Tasuki wrote:

However for people like me who don't understand that thing you can't just walk into a store buy a PC and then by any game you want like you can with a console.

You can literally do this. Maybe not the game part, since it's pretty well all digital and stores generally don't have physical copies of PC games. I walked into a store, bought a gaming laptop a couple years ago and have had no issues. Installed Steam and have played every game I wanted with no problem, up to and including Doom Eternal. Plugged an Xbox One controller in it and it just worked as it would plugging it into an Xbox. The only difference in the experience was that I had to install Steam, where on a console the digital store is already there.

Cotillion

PSVR_lover

I do PC gaming. However, no physical games and I like Switch portability.

Collecting video games is still a fun hobby.

The PSVR is the best VR system on the market today.

Tasuki

@Pizzamorg Well I don't what else to tell you but they are true and they did happen. No the PC wasn't busted either, but I am not going to convince you as you have made up your mind that PC is better and nothing is going to change that. You go and play what you like and I will stick with what I like just don't go saying I am misinforming others and saying that it didn't happen cause I know what happened, I was there and you weren't. Have a good day.

@Matt_Barber True online stores make a difference, I will admit that when I did try to return PC games in the past I bought them from a brick and mortar place and they were physical copies.

@Shadowthrone Yeah I did forget about Steam nowadays. When I last tried to game on PC I didn't use Steam, if it was even around then I truthfully don't know. I will say that Steam does make it seem to make PC gameing more user friendly.

My Backlog

Pizzamorg

Removed - flaming/arguing

skywake

Tasuki wrote:

I tried to.get into PC gaming years ago and ran into those problems. I got a PC from Dell and tried to buy the latest games at the time which Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and Hellgate London neither would work and the computer was only 4 months old at the time.

So you're saying that you brought a PC from Dell in 2007 and had some issues with it therefore you have concluded that from then and forevermore PC gaming isn't worth the effort? I mean, 2007 was a LONG time ago. Also worth remembering that console gaming and PC gaming do a little bit of a dance in terms of spec. At launch? Consoles are generally pretty good value. This was especially true when the PS3/360 launched and I'd argue it's true right now with COVID pricing. But that gap eventually swings back the other way

Secondly, 2007. I love PCs and have for a long time but even I'll agree that PC gaming in 2007 wasn't as clean as it is now. If you had a monitor in 2007 it was probably around 1080p, or even more likely 1680x1050. Consoles on the other hand were often not trying to go past 720p. So PC gaming was pretty rough if you were trying to run at native resolutions. Especially given that 2007 was a time when console ports to PC were VERY average. Also 2007 was basically just at the very start of Steam as it is today

Compare that to now. Steam is mature but also there are competing platforms like Epic and Origin. The kinds of GPUs you'd get for an "entry level gaming PC" can easily do 1440p despite the fact that a lot of people still have 1080p monitors. The high end is going above 4K now. Probably more importantly, PC ports are generally pretty good. It's really turned a corner. Thinking about it, when was the last "disaster of a PC port" release? Arkham Knight in 2015? You could argue Cyberpunk but at the same time, the console versions didn't do any better

So yeah, you're looking through **** tinted glasses my friend. PC gaming isn't anywhere near as bad that

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Pizzamorg

Removed - flaming/arguing

Sunsy

I notice the original post of this topic is old, but for what it's worth, my Wii U was my go to machine for YouTube and Netflix for years in addition to gaming. I was someone who used those features.

Seeing how recent discussion sparked PC gaming talk. Even as a long time Nintendo fan, and as someone who loves playing Nintendo games, I've also been PC gaming since the mid-2000's. Honestly, I love it. The performance games get is great, sometimes I'll even play favorites I've played on consoles just to experience them on PC. Games tend to be cheaper, and online multiplayer is free. Imagine buying a game, then not having to pay an annual fee to play it online.

Even choice of digital game stores. I use Steam like most PC gamers, but my favorite is GOG as they have games with no DRM on it. Meaning I can backup said games, and install them without Internet. If GOG were to disappear, I can still play my PC games.

Just always been a Nintendo and PC guy, and I've always loved PC gaming because of what it offers, still continue to be into PC gaming until this day.

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

Tasuki

@skywake Right, I will admit that services like Steam and such make it so much easier now then it was then, but after that experience I just stuck with consoles from.then on. Also I just stick with console because for example I have alot of games from Xbox 360, Xbox One and even original Xbox that I can still play and don't need to rebuy again. I mean to be quite honest I could just use my Xbox Live account and play those games on a PC. I guess I am just comfortable with consoles. It's what I know and it suits my needs just fine.

My Backlog

Cotillion

@Tasuki You understand why people are saying what they are, though? It's like if I bought an XBox 360 and it got the red ring of death and then forever swore off consoles because they must all be garbage that fails. One bad experience doesn't come close to representing the whole.

Cotillion

Tasuki

@Shadowthrone The problem is if you go back to my original post I never did say that. I said that consoles were easier for me. Someone asked me why I told them and then someone took it to far and started calling me a liar and such. I didn't necessarily sware off PC it's just like I said I am comfortable with consoles and they suit my needs. Why fix what's not broken?

My Backlog

PSVR_lover

Every six years I drop 2000k on a gaming PC. Done this summer since 1985. Loved them then, love them now.

I just got my latest six year PC and installed 44 games that were in my backlog waiting to be played and they all ran like a dream. They graphics are much improved over my old PC.

PSVR_lover

Every six years I drop 2000k on a gaming PC. Done this since 1985. Loved them then, love them now.

I just got my latest six year PC and installed 44 games that were in my backlog waiting to be played and they all ran like a dream. The graphics are much improved over my old PC. They just get better and better.

Pizzamorg

Removed - harassment

skywake

Yeah, the constant upgrade thing is total BS. I've fairly consistently had around a 5 year upgrade cycle. Occasionally I'll grab a laptop between cycles (once the laptop was the upgrade) or get more RAM or storage. But generally, 5 years

1Ghz AMD Duron + TNT2 -> 2001
A64 3000 + 5200 -> 2005 (not for gaming)
Core2Duo laptop -> 2009
i5 4590 + R9 285 -> 2014
AMD 3600X + 1660Ti -> 2019

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Anti-Matter

I prefer consoles / handhelds than PC.
Just insert the disc / cartridge to play the games without worrying about machine specs.

Anti-Matter

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic