Forums

Topic: What makes a game "GOTY"?

Posts 101 to 120 of 136

JaxonH

@jump
I'm merely simplifying it as far as I'm concerned. Nothing justifies taking things too far. And when an activist is left without a cause because all the major battles have been won, watch out. A witch hunt will always find a witch. And everyone always thinks they're the good guys.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

jump

@JaxonH I agree on "everyone thinks they are the good guy" which is why understanding complex issues is more important than trying to simplify things down to either good/bad or whatever terminology you'd like. The examples I used in my previous posts shows how what the believed notion of what good was then is different to what is good now making good/bad useless labels, and discussion on the actual issue more important for understanding to come between the two rather than a this or that mentality.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

JaxonH

@jump
Your point is taken. I'll consider what you've said, as I hope you will consider what I've said.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Losermagnet

"For the record, suspicion can kill, and prejudice can destroy. And a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all its own, for the children and the children yet unborn. And the pity of it is that these things cannot be confined to the Twilight Zone"
-Rod Serling

"Animal Crossing is really neat. Totes my GOTY."
-also Rod Serling, pretty sure.

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

Octane

@JaxonH TBF, I actually didn't even realise the trans character was trans until the internet spelled it out for me. Maybe I'm just incredibly dense, but the game didn't shove it in your face. And even then, I think it was an interesting character, because he was part of a cult, and didn't want to get married off, but actually fight alongside the guys; I dunno, I think it tackles the 'gender roles' in pre-modern societies well. It definitely wasn't as obvious as it was in the leaks where it was spelled out for you. And even still, most people thought Abby was the trans character, which kinda shows that it's almost impossible to tell from a couple of Reddit leaks alone.

I generally don't handle the forced characters well, and I really dislike the 'tokenism' you see in so many games and films these days; ''let's put in as many different looking people, so we can cross them off our list, and score diversity points'', because in the end it's about the characters themselves, and not about what they look like. And so often a piece of media falls flat when they do this, because they care more about have different looking characters, than actually having different characters. I personally don't think this was the case in TLOU2. I was definitely afraid they were going there, but I was pleasantly surprised.

And yes, you can put me in the camp with @ThanosReXXX, the ''dear travelers'' also annoys me as well, sometimes society goes too far for certain. Especially when there's no intent of discrimination, but people are looking for it regardless. Although I'm not entirely sure I agree, @ThanosReXXX, when you say that ''it's fine as long as they aren't put in for the sake of being there'', because you could subvert the argument, and say that so many straight people are put in media for the sake of being there. It's a difficult issue because genuine representation and forced tokenism don't always have clear borders.

As for the game itself, it definitely subverts expectations, and that's what a game should do IMO, the end result is better than another adventure game starring Joel and Ellie because people wanted more of the same. I've always said that TLOU doesn't need a sequel, because it achieved everything it needed to do. So I was never on board with a straight up sequel. IMO I think this is the right way to tackle a sequel to a game like TLOU; by doing something completely different.

Octane

JaxonH

@Octane
I'm glad you enjoyed the game so much.

Eventually I'll get around to beating it, as I did the first (the gyro aiming will help a LOT, because now the gameplay is actually super fun, and that can make up for shortcomings in other areas). And maybe my opinion will change by then. But I doubt it. I just dont like the character, and frankly, I don't even really like Ellie's character that much anymore either.

I'm not against different btw. Different is fine. I just dont like the direction they chose. Being different just for the sake of being different, subverting expectations just for the sake of it... that isn't good enough imo. I don't care if it's predictable or off the rails crazy, just so long as the characters you play as are likeable on some level and relatable, and as long as the story feels satisfying. I dont think the game succeeded in either.

Not to say it's a bad game. Far from it. Just... not the amazing masterpiece the first was (which I've always regarded as the pinnacle of the survival horror genre, better than Resident Evil). There's still a ton to like. High quality writing and voice work, top notch production values, solid gameplay with gyro... ya, there's a lot to like.

ThanosReXXX

JaxonH wrote:

Because now, apparently you’re not allowed to wear certain hairstyles if you don’t have the “correct” skin color. And if you violate this edict, you will be ruthlessly crushed by the authoritarian hate mob.

Yeah, I've seen something similar with a woman posting a picture of herself wearing a Sioux Indian's feather headdress, also being branded a racist and accused of bad taste and what not. All she wanted to do was make a nice selfie. Now, I'm not at all on board with modern day's society need and search for self-importance and glorification through social media, but other than that, I don't see the harm in those kinds of pictures at all.

I don't know how it is in the States currently, but over here we even have something that's jokingly/sarcastically called the "Mummy Mafia", women who berate/accuse other women when they post a picture or video online in which, according to these idiots, they're doing something wrong in regards to how they handle or raise their children.

And it doesn't end there. I do enjoy my time online on forums or web sites such as NLife, but I most definitely stay the hell away from anything social media. It's an open sewer, far as I'm concerned, where the bad outweighs the good, in my view essentially because being online gave a voice/outlet to certain people that probably should have stayed hidden in their basements or bedroom, because it's most definitely not to the benefit of society as a whole...

Anyway, good discussion, and although I can't speak for anyone but myself, I'm definitely not offended by your views. I feel that even though people may not always agree on all points or views, it should still always be possible between sensible adults to have a normal discussion, and in a worst case scenario to simply agree to disagree. It's only the lesser individuals that run or shy away from an adult discussion that may not always go their way... (which, just to be clear, was not a slight on you, but just an observation in general, because I see it happen so often in online discussions)

On a side note: I forgot to mention that I watched the videos you posted earlier. I enjoyed them, and they're all good reviewers, so I'll certainly keep an eye on them from now on. I now also understand why you like Monster Hunter so much, even though it's probably not for me. As mentioned before, it's not that I didn't like the games, it's just that I don't have the time to invest in them, nor do I want to.

As for those video reviews: do you own all these games? I'm definitely interested in Hades, so that goes on the to buy list, but I'm not quite sure about Need for Speed, because of the lack of analog triggers on the Switch, so if you have anything constructive/helpful to say about that, then that would be very welcome. Seeing as I already own the game on Xbox 360, I wouldn't want to double-dip on a lesser experience, regardless of the fact of now being able to play it on the go.

@Octane No offense, but you seem to contradict yourself a bit there. First you say that you don't handle forced characters well and that you don't like tokenism, and a couple of sentences later you say you don't agree with me if I say the same thing, except in my own words, because when I made the comment about characters being put in any kind of media for the sake of it, that is exactly what tokenism is. In the 70s and 80s it was the token black or Asian guy, nowadays it's the token gay, and pretty soon it will probably become the token gender-neutral or non-binary person.

I even gave examples of that: the sitcom Will & Grace as an example of where it fits and works perfectly, and the action series Quantico as an example of where there was absolutely no need for a gay character, and where it only made the whole intertwining story arc more complicated and messy than it should have been.

Now, I'll stress this again, just to make myself absolutely clear: I don't mind people being their own self and doing whatever they feel is good for them, which obviously includes them being whatever gender or of whatever orientation, but in media it should be logical and natural to include them, NOT because the creators of that media feel like they need to check the boxes of some kind of imaginary "let's not insult these kinds of groups/people" list, which is basically also what you said, so it would seem to me that we actually agree on most if not all the points I made earlier.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Anti-Matter

Since ThanosReXXX is not here anymore, I can say my GOTY is something that exceeding my expectations, not what are peoples labeled on.
My GOTY 2022 was Epic Chef.
It wasn't really met my expectation but the hype I spent for the gameplay until looking for the best ingredients combination to win the cooking competition was really exceeding my expectations. I gave the score 7.5 / 10 for Epic Chef PS4

Don't care with other people's opinion, don't care with what ThanosReXXX said. He's not here anymore. 😝
I have my opinion and I can disagree something that didn't qualify my standard.

Anti-Matter

Snatcher

@Anti-Matter What the heck do they have to do with people not agree with your opinion? You were always able to say that, they just never agreed with you, just how you don’t agree with with half of the games gamers play.
And you still don’t understand because that wasn’t even what the conversation was about.
I don’t even know what happened to them, they just vanished, I hope life is treating them well.

Edited on by Snatcher

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

StarPoint

@Anti-Matter How was that person stopping you from posting your opinion? Basically everyone on this site always disagrees with you; what difference does one person make?

"Science compels us to explode the sun!"

Currently playing:

Persona 5 Royal (PC)
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy (PC)

jump

I remember this thread, there was paranoia that the big media picked The Last Of Us 2 to win GOTY as it was part of the big media conspiracy to promote their gay agenda and real gamers wanted Hades to win even though The Last Of Us won the fan vote and Hades won the big media GOTY award. lol

Thank the god there was never talk of rigged wins in the year after 2020 and if there was everyone accepted the decision respectfully...oh wait.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Anti-Matter

@StarPoint
I am always different since I have my own life experiences that shaped who I am.
If everybody are cookie cutter, the universe we live just a whole of boredom.

Anti-Matter

Snatcher

@Anti-Matter Okkkkk? So what does that have to do with thanos and you somehow not being able to voice your opinion on this thread?

Edited on by Snatcher

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

Anti-Matter

@Snatcher
He said this to me
"it's not about what YOU think a GOTY is, it's about games that are OFFICIALLY labeled by the professional media (journalists, media, industry) as being that, and then the question is if we agree with that or not and what and/or how we feel a GOTY should be determined.

If you can't understand that, then no offense, but you will not be able to make any useful contribution to this specific thread."

I mean who the heck cares what peoples said.
If I claimed my games choice as GOTY that means it was exceeding my expectations, not what are peoples labeled on.
The GOTY games by other peoples are probably the games that I will throw to dumpster / sold (cough... cough... Botw...cough...cough...some adult AAA games I hate most)

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

Snatcher

But @Anti-Matter He was right, that’s not what this thread was about, it was about official gofy games, not whatever people think there’s are. So it isn’t about who cares, it’s about what the threads topic is, and your talking about something different, that was opposed of the threads Purpose.

Anti-Matter

@Snatcher
I have my definition what games that being called GOTY.
The games that exceeding my expectations I will call it GOTY. Period.
I judged the games from my point of view since this thread asking about what makes a game GOTY.
So I used my definition to tell a GOTY game.
Of course I will disagree to accept BOTW as GOTY as for me, it was the game that I will never want to play after several minutes I tried and get frustrated then I completely neglected the game. Then peoples said it was a GOTY, are you freaking kidding me ? I really disagree.
For me, the games that being labeled as GOTY by other peoples are probably the games that I will never like or I will throw to dumpster.
One thing, I will never admit something that being called good by other peoples from the things that I already experienced and it was bad from my experience.

Anti-Matter

Rambler

@Snatcher you say 'tomato', I say 'piece of paper'

Only read the first and last pages - it's been two years since LOU2???

Rambler

Snatcher

@Anti-Matter Your definition, your definition, what does your definition, the things that personal to you, with a current conversation not about personal opinion, about something that just exist.

They were talking about the official labeling of goty, doesn’t matter personal opinion, you don’t even have to agree, but fact is that such and such games get labeled gofy, officially, nothing you or me say can change that. People say all the time that this game is my gofy my goty, not goty, so thanos was right, you talking about your personal opinion about your gofy, contributes nothing to the current conversation, so it’s not that no one didn’t accept your opinion, it’s that you are throwing the thread off topic.

Sorry for the long comment.I repeat myself a lot.

Edited on by Snatcher

Snatcher

@Rambler Time goes by waaaaay to fast lol!

Magician

I've always viewed GotYs as little more than a popularity contest. Each gaming news outlet have their preferences. Sometimes neither the best reviewed nor the best selling game will received the nomination from one particular place or another. At the very least, the GotY label is a good indication for casual gamers (or normies who only purchase a couple or few games every year) that the game is at least worth your time.

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 1,241 games (as of March 23rd, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic