Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 621 to 640 of 12,088

Kyloctopus

Pac Man does not belong in Smash!
Unlike Sonic and Mega Man, he almost never made an impact on Nintendo, especially recently.
I would understand if he was in Brawl, because of the Nintendo exclusive and Miyamoto developed, Pac Man VS., but just like Snake, time has passed and really wouldn't seem fitting to be in Smash.
Why should a character that ditches the Wii U and 3DS (cough Pac Man Museum cough) belong into a game, that's supposed to be a love letter to Nintendo fans?

Edited on by Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus

3DS Friend Code: 4897-5952-1236 | Nintendo Network ID: Kyloctopus | Twitter:

HappyHappyist

CanisWolfred wrote:

HappyHappyist wrote:

JRPGs are some of the worst games I've played. Stories are generally about as good as a bad anime and the combat is complete trash.

What games have you played? If you're gonna give me a gun, you may as well give me the ammo, too.

Earthbound is probably the only exception to that complaint, but I still can not stand the combat. It's the writing that keeps me playing that game, and even then i haven't played Earthbound in months.

As for games I've played, not much. FFVII, pokemon, Xenoblade, Earthbound, PaperMario Sticker Star, and Mario/Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story. Not a lot, but that combat is just worthless. Nothing's more entertaining than fighting enemies with walls of text and on-screeen commands!

i am part of a social group interested in uniting the world by painting it blue.
Blue blue.

HappyHappyist

kkslider5552000 wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

HappyHappyist wrote:

JRPGs are some of the worst games I've played. Stories are generally about as good as a bad anime and the combat is complete trash.

What games have you played? If you're gonna give me a gun, you may as well give me the ammo, too.

the bad ones I assume

so the good ones suddenly have better combat? I thought the turn-based word-based combat was the same for most JRPGs.

i am part of a social group interested in uniting the world by painting it blue.
Blue blue.

CaviarMeths

@HappyHappyist the only modern console JRPG you named was Xenoblade and it is not turn-based. Besides having your health displayed as a number instead of a bar, it's not word-based either.

It sounds more like you're describing the difference between action RPGs and traditional RPGs. Both JRPGs and WRPGs have both. If you want an action-based JRPGs, there's always Dark Souls, the Tales of series (though that might turn you off for being very anime-like), or even The World Ends With You on DS.

There are most definitely stylistic differences between WRPGs and JRPGs generally speaking, but I don't think turn-based combat is a defining characteristic of JRPGs. Not trying to invalidate your distaste of JRPGs though. I understand that the style and conventions aren't for everyone.

I think the reason that JRPGs tend to have a lot of turn-based combat is because they typically have you controlling several characters at once, which is hard to implement without command menus, AI-controlled teammates, or some combination of both. Final Fantasy 12 and Dragon Age: Origins are RPGs from both sides of the pond that have both.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Chrono_Cross

I can put up with an 'okay' story, but once the game enforces grinding, padding, and mandatory, unnecessary detours, it grows tedious.

I do not want to play a game for one hundred hours just to "get my money's worth".

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

ITAFTRS

Dreamz wrote:

DdFixen wrote:

• The Bayonetta trailer makes me puke, because it's SO sexist!

I recommend reading this piece about Bayonetta. I agree with pretty much every bit of it. I'm pretty sure the sequel will be designed in much the same manner.

Well, if that's how she is as a character in the game, good. But there is still no reason for her to be looking the way she does, all boobs, small hips, high heels, barely no clothes etc. in the trailer to the 2nd game (because that was the Bayonetta game I was referring to, not the first one, maybe I should've been more precise). I mean, if she is such a baddonkey character as is stated, she doesn't need those ridiculous looks. done ranting
Please watch the profanity — TBD

Edited on by theblackdragon

ITAFTRS

JoyBoy

You think boobs, hips and high heels look ridiculous? You sexist!

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

ITAFTRS

When you exaggerate it so much it becomes unrealistic, yes.

ITAFTRS

JoyBoy

Why go for realism anyway? Apart from that, yes she has boobs and hips, she is a woman after all. But she comes across as a strong person.
So I don't see the problem.

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

DiscoDriver43

I don't always get the compliant over short games. Shorter game when done right are always much better than the long bloated games which rely on Grinding, padding, and pointless stuff just to say that Hey, our game is 30 hours. Give us a 9/10. We have alot of content

games such as Sonic Unleashed would have been better if it was shorter and didn't have stuff like Werehog pointless stuff

Edited on by DiscoDriver43

http://www.backloggery.com/discodriver43

Recently watched films: The Martian

Currently playing: Max Payne

Aviator

DdFixen wrote:

Dreamz wrote:

DdFixen wrote:

• The Bayonetta trailer makes me puke, because it's SO sexist!

I recommend reading this piece about Bayonetta. I agree with pretty much every bit of it. I'm pretty sure the sequel will be designed in much the same manner.

Well, if that's how she is as a character in the game, good. But there is still no reason for her to be looking the way she does, all boobs, small hips, high heels, barely no clothes etc. in the trailer to the 2nd game (because that was the Bayonetta game I was referring to, not the first one, maybe I should've been more precise). I mean, if she is such a baddonkey character as is stated, she doesn't need those ridiculous looks. done ranting

Boobs, hips, heels.

So are all women who wear heels sexist too?

How dare they.

QUEEN OF SASS

It's like, I just love a cowboy
You know
I'm just like, I just, I know, it's bad
But I'm just like
Can I just like, hang off the back of your horse
And can you go a little faster?!

ITAFTRS

Hm, people don't seem to get my point here... To put it short then: I dislike sexistic character designs in video games. And please stop giving me any smart donkey comments back. Gee, why does this happen everytime someone brings this subject up? Why didn't anyone react like this to my comment where I said Ocarina of Time is overrated? You know, there are people - like me - who's starting to get pretty tired of how women are being objectified in movies, games, fashion, real life etc. nowadays. can't people just accept that we feel this way? rant wasn't over, apparently
Please watch the profanity — TBD

ITAFTRS

LeviCelJir

Denpa men 1,2, and 3 are amazing. I win.

Hi I'm Levi and I like Bloopys :^)

Nintenjoe64

I don't find the character designs of something like Bayonetta to be any more sexist than 99% of video games but the crotch and cleavage shots are pretty embarrassing.

I only posted this to get my avatar as the forum's thumbnail.

AlexSays

Aviator wrote:

So are all women who wear heels sexist too?

Basically. A bunch of women out there objectifying themselves too.

The view of 'women must look how I picture normal women to look' is more sexist than anything in video games. It's like that model that stood up for 'skinny women' because of all the critiques of model bodies and widespread acceptance of 'curvier' bodies.

You can't preach against sexism and then tell women how they should look.

AlexSays

MuchoMochi

DdFixen wrote:

Hm, people don't seem to get my point here... To put it short then: I dislike sexistic character designs in video games. And please stop giving me any smart donkey comments back. Gee, why does this happen everytime someone brings this subject up? Why didn't anyone react like this to my comment where I said Ocarina of Time is overrated? You know, there are people - like me - who's starting to get pretty tired of how women are being objectified in movies, games, fashion, real life etc. nowadays. can't people just accept that we feel this way? rant wasn't over, apparently

Just out of curiosity what do you find so sexist about the design of Bayonetta? She is pretty much fully clothed in the second game, and besides her spell to removes her clothing in the first game she is essentially always clothed. She makes cheeky comments but isn't that sort of what witches are known for? For being sexual creatures? Don't get me wrong I think that some designs in gaming are so over the top that it's laughable, but why don't you just do that? Laugh it off. If anyone is immature to let a giant breasted fifteen year old looking female samurai with armor that doesn't protect a damn thing affect their perception of real women, then That's crazy. Besides men don't get upset over the incredibly buff naked dudes in loincloths in video games. If partial nudity is insulting to you then I think it should be across the board, not just with one gender.

3DS Friend Code: 2895-6767-5334

CaviarMeths

DdFixen wrote:

I mean, if she is such a baddonkey character as is stated, she doesn't need those ridiculous looks. done ranting

It's not about need. It's about want. Bayonetta chooses to dress the way she does because it's functional and empowering. She's a strong female protagonist, something the video game industry is in dire need of, and her attire and behavior are about embracing her femininity, not objectivity. Her character design follows the same scheme as male action heroes in skin tight gear and rippling muscles. Showing off masculinity, not objectification.

Sexualized does not automatically mean sexist. I agree that women are poorly represented in video games, but to apply a blanket of "no sexy people allowed!" across the entire industry is a little over-the-top. Sometimes it's character-appropriate.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

CaviarMeths

Oh and unpopular opinion: I like grinding. Backtracking, however, sucks.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

kkslider5552000

Ddfixen should watch Kill la Kill, which is essentially a 24 episode rebuttle

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic