Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 4,341 to 4,360 of 12,088

LzWinky

I bought some games used, but I don't mind some incentive to buy new like special editions or (physical) preorder bonuses

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Rumorlife

arronishere wrote:

Dankykong wrote:

Lol that's exactly it. Fans who are fanning too hard. Okaaaaay 3D World has 6 million units sold I don't think a few used copies are going to kill anyone. If the game didn't sell much anyway, and you buy a new copy instead of a used one, it's not like one or two people will have suddenly swayed the original dev to make another game in the series or something. So these peoples logic is really flawed.

On the same basis then there's no point in voting since a single vote doesn't matter but at the end of the day there's nothing wrong contributing and voting with your wallet is far more effective in business than tweets, petitions and all the other things people do to demand games.

That comparison doesn't work. You don't get to vote whenever you want in an election, only on a set date and during set hours. You can buy a new game almost whenever you want. Buying a new game a year later doesn't mean squat for the future of the game or series if you're the only one doing it, but sends money to the dev, whoopie. Voting in an election that's a year over doesn't even make sense. It's essentially up to you who you're going to send your money to if that even matters. Didn't say there was anything wrong with it.

Edited on by Rumorlife

Rumorlife

DefHalan

Dankykong wrote:

arronishere wrote:

Dankykong wrote:

Lol that's exactly it. Fans who are fanning too hard. Okaaaaay 3D World has 6 million units sold I don't think a few used copies are going to kill anyone. If the game didn't sell much anyway, and you buy a new copy instead of a used one, it's not like one or two people will have suddenly swayed the original dev to make another game in the series or something. So these peoples logic is really flawed.

On the same basis then there's no point in voting since a single vote doesn't matter but at the end of the day there's nothing wrong contributing and voting with your wallet is far more effective in business than tweets, petitions and all the other things people do to demand games.

That comparison doesn't work. You don't get to vote whenever you want in an election, only on a set date and during set hours. You can buy a new game almost whenever you want. Buying a new game a year later doesn't mean squat for the future of the game or series if you're the only one doing it, but sends money to the dev, whoopie. Voting in an election that's a year over doesn't even make sense. It's essentially up to you who you're going to send your money to if that even matters. Didn't say there was anything wrong with it.

Actually I think your point made it sound closer to an election. The only time you really get to "vote" on if a game gets a sequel is within the first weeks of its launch. If you choose to buy it, you are voting for it. If you choose to wait months, then you are voting against it, kinda.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Whydoievenbother

@DefHalan: But what of the people who can't afford a new game at launch?

"I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT!"
Light Yagami, Death Note
"Ah, the Breakfast Club soundtrack! I can't wait 'til I'm old enough to feel ways about stuff!"
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

DefHalan

@MrMario02: What about them?

I don't mean that negatively, I am actually wondering what you mean.

Edited on by DefHalan

DefHalan

@DarthNocturnal: From a publisher stand-point, they are a nay vote. The game wasn't enough of a priority for you to save the money and buy it at launch, like other games are a priority. I guess a difference between voting and buying games, for this comparison's sake, is the results are based off majority votes in a certain direction. Results are based off what the company thinks is a successful return within a certain amount of time.

DefHalan

@DarthNocturnal:

Maybe. Hopefully. But as long as people are "risking" their money to get products made, there will be people that expect faster/more money in return. Some companies lower prices to get a boost in sales and want to keep supporting their franchises, nothing I have said was meant to mean everyone acts that way. But the best way to support a game/company is to purchase its products day 1.

Haywired

I doubt this is unpopular in wider gaming circles, but probably is here; I don't believe the Wii U Gamepad makes a game more immersive. Now I realize this has become like the stock phrase of recent times, to be rolled out for seemingly any Nintendo occasion; "the Wii Remote adds an extra layer of immersion", "the 3D effect adds an extra layer of immersion", "the Wii U Gamepad adds an extra layer of immersion", but I think we're really clutching at straws this time.

If anything I would say looking away from the in-game action down to your controller all the time is rather immersion-breaking. In any case, I don't believe this is where immersion comes from. Waving a Wii U Gamepad infront of your face or pausing the game to look down at your controller screen and then back up again instead of just pausing the game to look at the screen you're already looking at isn't making you any more immersed. It isn't going to make you believe that the game world is more real.

Immersion comes from being drawn into the game's world; the story, the characters, the environments. To be able to suspend your disbelief for a moment and think that this is all a living breathing world. One of the most immersive game I've ever played was Metroid Prime on GameCube. To the point where when I look back on playing it I do so almost as if I was actually there, that it was an actual adventure that I went on. It did this with its tremendous atmosphere, its sense of isolation, its amazingly realized worlds, the incredible audio/visual experience, etc. It had nothing to do with the controls.

If anything I would say a traditional controller offers more immersion because it just quietly and efficiently gets on with its job and allows you to get on with playing the game rather than constantly drawing attention to itself and its wacky features. If you're thinking about the controller all the time, you're clearly not immersed.

Haywired

Haywired

@DarthNocturnal
Yeah I've seen it fairly often, usually referring to the fact that you "don't have to pause" (even though obviously you do, because you're still pausing regardless of what screen you're looking at) and the "hold the Wii U gamepad up and use it as a viewfinder..." type stuff, all usually accompanied by the "more immersive" line.

Haywired

DefHalan

@Haywired: I actually find the "not having to pause to access certain menus" thing very useful. It allows for me to not have to stop the action just to check the map. Flying around Gotham City was so much easier on Wii U than on 360 in Arkham City. Not sure if it would be considered immersive but it did allow me to be absorbed into the game more than having to stop everything just to open a menu to make sure I was going the right way.

Also holding up the GamePad to take photos in Fatal Frame lead to more immersion as it felt like the ghost were actually around me and attacking me, not just the in game character. The GamePad can do certain things that can make an experience more immersive but that doesn't mean it always does. If those features are used poorly then it won't be immersive.

EDIT: But I totally understand how it can be very immersion breaking for people. It is not perfect tech lol

Edited on by DefHalan

Rumorlife

LOL You can't really vote nay or against a game for the opposite team when buying it. There is no nay. You don't buy it? So? You and 6.8 billion other people. That's not a nay. Not buying it is a "non-vote". Buying it used also works as a non-vote since the company has no idea you're trading around this copy of the game to multiple people possibly making it more popular. You also don't get only an 8 hour window to buy the new game, and you can buy the new game multiple times if you wanted. You can only legally vote once. The "here's my 1" by voting/buying a game is the only thing that's the same but there's no sides to pick, so how similar is that? That is not like an election much at all.

Rumorlife

DefHalan

@Dankykong: Well, no, it isn't exactly the same as an election. But the comparison wasn't to say it was exactly like an election, it was just to compare the two similar points to reach understanding.

Rumorlife

I'm worried Pokken is going to be boring even with so many positive reviews. I see lots of 8s, and a few 7s and 9s. That's great but I'm just recalling the abysmal yawn that Battle Revolution was and that was my last console Pokemon game that I tried. I only rented it like twice. I always thought with the birth of Pkmn Colosseum for GCN, they were going to do console RPGs that looked or acted more like the handheld versions. I'm stilled bummed that never happened.

Rumorlife

DefHalan

@Dankykong: Pokken is nothing like past Pokemon console games. Pokken is a fighting game like Tekken.

Rumorlife

Well yeah I understand that, but that doesn't mean it couldn't have been awful. I like the Pokemon they picked but I also find it weird that it's so limited. I don't think it needs a roster the size of Smash but eh, maybe a couple more characters would have been fine. But it's all speculation for me until tomorrow haha. The review on here, I glossed over quickly and seemed good though. I'm just trying not to spoil the whole thing, I like a good old fashion video game surprise.

Edit: Well at least Pokken is great! lol

Edited on by Rumorlife

Rumorlife

Whydoievenbother

Haywired wrote:

I doubt this is unpopular in wider gaming circles, but probably is here; I don't believe the Wii U Gamepad makes a game more immersive. Now I realize this has become like the stock phrase of recent times, to be rolled out for seemingly any Nintendo occasion; "the Wii Remote adds an extra layer of immersion", "the 3D effect adds an extra layer of immersion", "the Wii U Gamepad adds an extra layer of immersion", but I think we're really clutching at straws this time.

If anything I would say looking away from the in-game action down to your controller all the time is rather immersion-breaking. In any case, I don't believe this is where immersion comes from. Waving a Wii U Gamepad infront of your face or pausing the game to look down at your controller screen and then back up again instead of just pausing the game to look at the screen you're already looking at isn't making you any more immersed. It isn't going to make you believe that the game world is more real.

Immersion comes from being drawn into the game's world; the story, the characters, the environments. To be able to suspend your disbelief for a moment and think that this is all a living breathing world. One of the most immersive game I've ever played was Metroid Prime on GameCube. To the point where when I look back on playing it I do so almost as if I was actually there, that it was an actual adventure that I went on. It did this with its tremendous atmosphere, its sense of isolation, its amazingly realized worlds, the incredible audio/visual experience, etc. It had nothing to do with the controls.

If anything I would say a traditional controller offers more immersion because it just quietly and efficiently gets on with its job and allows you to get on with playing the game rather than constantly drawing attention to itself and its wacky features. If you're thinking about the controller all the time, you're clearly not immersed.

That's kind of how I feel about motion controls. They don't add anything to the immersion, they just distract the player from the actual game.

"I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT!"
Light Yagami, Death Note
"Ah, the Breakfast Club soundtrack! I can't wait 'til I'm old enough to feel ways about stuff!"
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

shaneoh

CreamyDream wrote:

Also, a couple more things I forgot to say: speaking strictly from an ergonomic standpoint, the gamepad is just SO COMFY to me. I love it just for that.

It is, those who think it's too heavy need this:
Untitled

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

gcunit

@Haywired @MrMario02 Re. motion controls - the immersion comes when the controls are will implemented and the player takes the time to learn them to the point they're not distracted by them anymore. Try comparing user reviews of Tiger Woods PGA Tour using Wii Motion Plus to the same game using any other control method. There's no contest - the Wii Motion Plus controls overwhelmingly win because of the user experience.

That doesn't mean that you boot up the game, pick up the Wii Remote and instantly feel immersed, but give it 5-10 hours practise and you'll probably find yourself getting really into it, in a way that hasn't been achieved on any standard controller.

Same goes for the stuff on Wii Sports Resort, Grand Slam Tennis, Call of Duty using the Wii Zapper, Kororinpa etc. The immersion doesn't come immediately, but master the motion controls and the immersion is unrivalled.

You watch when Star Fox Zero releases. The new control scheme will get panned by the majority after 10 minutes of gameplay, but of those who actually take the time to learn the controls properly, I suspect the majority will say the gameplay experience is all the better for it.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Shinion

@gcunit: gotta agree with you there, a great many people I've talked to who deme Skyward Sword's control setup to be 'terrible' can't even tell me the name of the main antagonist of the game as they didn't even get as far as the end of the first dungeon. It's astounding really how many people it seems just got the first sword in the game, swung it around a few times then decided they hated it and have spent a lot of time since then attempting to convince others that their experience with the game means something.

I mean come on...

Edited on by Shinion

Shinion

DefHalan

Not sure if this would be an unpopular opinion but I feel bad for this developer.
http://kotaku.com/not-every-developer-is-convinced-let-s-play...

Apparently the Lets Plays are making more money than the actual game and really harming the sales. These guys made a product and people are getting to experience most of it without paying. That sucks. Hope their sales increase and they are actually able to profit.

I should probably add their game to my Steam Wishlist.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic