Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 12,161 to 12,175 of 12,175

Jhena

True, 3D Land is a great Mario game and I was also enjoying the 3D effect, because not only did it look good, but it also made the platforming better.

Jhena

Switch Friend Code: SW-2361-9475-8611 | Nintendo Network ID: Traumwanderer

Mana_Knight

That I like Nintendo and don't think that they are evil.
There I said it.

Edited on by Mana_Knight

Mana_Knight

VoidofLight

@Mana_Knight I don't think that's really an unpopular opinion. While most are frustrated at Nintendo for doing things that are inherently anti-consumer, a good number of people who frequent these forums still like or care about the company in terms of game output.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

Mana_Knight

VoidofLight wrote:

@Mana_Knight I don't think that's really an unpopular opinion. While most are frustrated at Nintendo for doing things that are inherently anti-consumer, a good number of people who frequent these forums still like or care about the company in terms of game output.

Lol. I know. More of a joke post. But venture outside here and some of the things people come out with....just makes me wonder why they still play the games!

Mana_Knight

Pizzamorg

On the inverse of that, while a lot of what Nintendo does is anti-consumer, I feel not enough is said about the Eshop. From demos, to the really generous gold coin system (I dunno what thats actually officially called) and the Games Vouchers for new releases. I think if looking just at the digital store fronts in the name of purchases, its probably the most consumer friendly outside of like Steam maybe. I guess maybe there aren't like ever deep discounts on first party stuff, but I feel like you rarely see Sony stuff go onto a deep discount either. The only thing they are really lagging on is having some kind of subscription with games included that aren't emulated retro titles.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

FishyS

Pizzamorg wrote:

The only thing they are really lagging on is having some kind of subscription with games included that aren't emulated retro titles.

This one seems like a positive. Please continue to lag on this Nintendo.

Edited on by FishyS

FishyS

Switch Friend Code: SW-2425-4361-0241

Pizzamorg

FishyS wrote:

Pizzamorg wrote:

The only thing they are really lagging on is having some kind of subscription with games included that aren't emulated retro titles.

Yeah I guess it really depends on your priorities. I don't really use my Switch very much, but I like to come back for the odd exclusive. I would have much rather paid a tenner for one month of Nintendo Premium Pass or whatever it would be called and played say Fire Emblem Engage that way, rather than paying full price for it.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

FishyS

Pizzamorg wrote:

FishyS wrote:

Pizzamorg wrote:

Yeah I guess it really depends on your priorities. I don't really use my Switch very much, but I like to come back for the odd exclusive. I would have much rather paid a tenner for one month of Nintendo Premium Pass or whatever it would be called and played say Fire Emblem Engage that way, rather than paying full price for it.

Or Nintendo could go the PlayStation route and charge you $18 a month and still not let you play their main games without paying $70 a pop.

Edited on by FishyS

FishyS

Mana_Knight

@Pizzamorg For sure on the Gold coins.
I bought their game voucher recently so that I could buy Paper Mario and something in the future, and was surprised to still get nearly 5 pounds worth of Gold coins back for that! Sort of makes the vouchers about £79 in the grand scheme of things.

Mana_Knight

kkslider5552000

I don't know anyone could look at the past couple of years and think a streaming service would be a good addition for anything.

The only issue with Nintendo games in that regard is they hate the very concept of them getting a good enough sale anywhere ever. Plenty of their games sell well but no one's buying Astral Chain again apparently, because its a forgotten about 60 dollar game. And I think that's a shame. Like I'm pretty sure it sold a million copies in a month and has yet to sell half that in the entire 4 and a half years since then.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

FishyS

@kkslider5552000 In terms of sales there are a lot of older Nintendo exclusives on Switch I never wanted enough to buy near full price but if I could snag them for $20 digital I probably would.

On the other hand of the argument you have e.g. Square Enix. I see new Dragon Quest Game and think 'yay I will definitely get that but it will be 50% in less than a year so I definitely won't get it immediately'. Which as a consumer I don't mind, but I can understand Nintendo not wanting to get caught in that trap.

Edited on by FishyS

FishyS

MarioVillager92

@NintendoByNature @Jhena Yeah it's such a good game. I already wanted more by the time I finished the last level. And we did get more in the form of Super Mario 3D World, which I also loved.

@FishyS You know, I wouldn't mind seeing another Mario Party game for the Switch before its successor comes out. I enjoy the MP series quite a bit. It seems likely too, we've seen MP games come out late in Nintendo consoles' time on the market... a couple examples being Mario Party 3 and Mario Party 7, those came out near the end of the N64's and GameCube's lifespans, respectively.

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

Ralizah

We know people primarily buy games in the launch window, which is why publishers use pre-order bonuses and whatnot to incentivize early buy-in, followed by cratering the price once 95% of the interest drops off in successive months. Which is one strategy (call this the 'Ubisoft model'), but people quickly wise up to what the company is doing and a large fraction of them will avoid buying the game in the window of time when hype is highest and they're most likely, statistically, to purchase the game at all.

I think Nintendo knowingly and willfully sacrifices some profits on their less popular older games by maintaining a pricing structure that heavily incentivizes early buy in with their products. This trains customers to overcome hesitation regarding early investment in their software and buy when they're psychologically most heavily primed to do so.

Also, their biggest games will continue to sell well years down the road at full price, which probably more than helps offset the lost profit from not dropping prices on older games that people wouldn't be buying in massive numbers anyway.

Psychologically, it probably also leads people to associate the name "Nintendo" with premium quality. Quality that they're willing to pay top dollar for. Seeing Nintendo titles cluttering bargain bins clouds and conflicts with that association.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PC); Unicorn Overlord (NS)

Papasears1982

@Ralizah agreed, I myself have NP paying a company for whom I support and back anytime (b ' ' )b

"The pleasure of a dream is that it is a fantasy. If it happens, it was never a dream.” - Old Grandfather

ShonenJump121

I actually don't like any subscription services, like gamepass, NSO or PS Plus. I'm sure there's some value to them, but I've never been a fan. Gamepass in theory is really good value for example and I think it is especially if you don't care about having physical games in any capacity.

I suppose it's not as big of a deal to me since I very rarely play online games now these days outside of FF14 . And to think I used to play some much online back during the 360 days, but It could be that I simply don't have as much time as I used to .

ShonenJump121

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic