Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 12,101 to 12,109 of 12,109

FishyS

jedgamesguy wrote:

sunny63 wrote:

I'm going digital from here on out. I dislike materialism,.

Lmao I'm the complete opposite, I've bought more physical games than ever at this point. I don't see buying physical as materialism at all, at least when compared to the alternative, which is corporations playing with your games as they see fit. If companies delist a game from their shop, or the console gets discontinued, that's it, the game is wiped from existence for good. Sony and Microsoft know this, and that's why they offer digital only consoles without disc drives, to stop people from buying physical.

Buying games of any type is materialism 😝 Physical games are potentially clutter, but honestly not much difference otherwise.

jedgamesguy wrote:

Plus... y'know... I just wanna put the cartridge in and play the game.

I think you mean put in the cartridge amd download day-1 patches for an hour. 😝 Plus, no matter how you look at it, you can get digital games faster than it takes for them to be physically delivered or for you to go to the store. Digital pre-orders even download while you're asleep a few days before the game releases. Not that this actually matters, but just another example that a lot of the distinctions between physical and digital are a little silly.

FishyS

Switch Friend Code: SW-2425-4361-0241

Summer235

Isn't it still materialism even if you buy digital? Not trying to be a smartass, just a question. You're still buying something even if it's not physical.

I prefer physical because I know it's mine forever and it's not up to a company to say "Sike!" and take it.

Summer235

Switch Friend Code: SW-2910-0073-1053

dmcc0

@Summer235 I keep reading about some Greedy Corp that's going shut down access to all my digital games but it's not happened yet. I can still play (and re-download) my Wii games even though the store closed 5+ years ago. Same with any other stores that have closed (3DS/WiiU/Vita). I can't buy new stuff for those consoles, but I can't really do that physically either unless I buy used, which I guess is the main drawback of digital games.

I'm sure someone here will gladly point out I'm wrong, but I'm not aware of any games that you can't play once they've been delisted from digital stores if you've already paid for them (FTP/Live service stuff is different and usually don't have physical versions anyway). If they require a constant connection and the server has been shutdown etc then you're not going to be playing physically or digitally in those cases.

Full games on the cart/disc is becoming more uncommon too, especially if you consider patches and updates which most modern games seem to have now. You're physical version becomes more like a cart-/disc-shaped licence key or launcher.

Edited on by dmcc0

dmcc0

Xyphon22

Honestly, while I'll probably never go fully digital unless I have to, I'll probably start doing it more. My main reason for preferring physical has been being able to resell a game when I'm done to afford buying more games, but that has become too much of a hassle. Amazon doesn't let you anymore unless you register as a business, eBay is a hassle and after fees you don't get much anyway. I usually now just wait until Gamestop has some sort of deal like getting an extra 50% on trade-ins, but that still doesn't get anywhere near as much as I used to get from selling on Amazon. It's not worth the little bit of money you get from reselling anymore.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

sunny63

@Summer235 Yeah lol entirely wrong word choice. I meant clutter. Game boxes look terrible on a shelf and all of mine are just sitting in a bin, not even holding the games they came with. Me and my brother just keep all of them in the box of TotK, which has the art we find prettiest.
@dmcc0 And yeah, exactly. I play singleplayer games mostly, and the only DLC I buy is the kind Pokemon, MK8 and BotW got, no mtx for me.

sunny63

Fizza

Online-multiplayer games are a hell of a lot more fun if you don't search them up on social media XD

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Mega Man 11 (Switch)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

Xyphon22

I just talked about this in the Games I Recently Dropped thread, and I honestly don't know how unpopular this is but it seems like it might be, but the way Witcher 3 (and possibly other WRPGs, I don't really know or remember) handles weapon degradation is 10x worse than it is in BotW/TotK. Not being able to move when you reach too much carrying weight is horrible. And I would just be out there fighting monsters when suddenly the sword picture on my screen would turn red, meaning it's no good anymore. I still had it and could keep using it, mind you, it just wouldn't do much. And of course despite the fact that the entire time I played I only fought like 2 humans but a whole bunch of monsters, I had about a dozen steel swords (good against humans) but only the 1 silver sword (good against monsters). And could I just easily find a new one like in Zelda? Of course not. I'm in the middle of nowhere doing a quest and can't just pack up and wander who knows how far to the nearest town who may or may not have someone who can sell me one. Which would always take about half of my money for one silver sword, despite the fact that I did every quest I could find that my level was good enough to try. But at least those sharpening wheels I could find would make it better, right? Nope. Have to pay more money. Not saying this system is broken. It makes sense to not just be able to magically fix a broken sword (although if the problem is that it's blunted than those wheels probably should be able to fix that). It's just a lot worse than Zelda which everyone always complains about, and one of the reasons I finally just moved on to new games.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic