Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 11,941 to 11,960 of 12,088

Dogorilla

@FishyS I personally wouldn't call Zelda an RPG, but yeah, the scope of the open-world installments can be overwhelming in the same way.

However, @MarioLover92's point about getting stuck on boss fights (which I agree is very off-putting in RPGs) doesn't really apply to any Zelda games (except maybe Zelda 2? I haven't played much of that one). Tricky boss fights in Zelda can pretty much always be overcome with perseverance as they're just a test of skill or puzzle solving. Whereas in some RPGs, if you're underlevelled when you get to a boss you might be completely scuppered unless you spend ages grinding, which is boring, or go through a confusing process of generating crystals that attach to your equipment to increase stats you don't really understand the purpose of. Zelda's comparative simplicity makes it less overwhelming for me at least.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

MarioVillager92

@FishyS Guess I should've clarified that I was talking about JRPGs, lol. My idea of an RPG is having multiple party members, getting into battles, leveling up, having lots of equipment to manage, and having stories on a much larger scale. I'm one of those folks who just consider the Zelda games, even BotW and TotK, to be action/adventure games, that's just me though. But yeah, that "coming back to a game after a long time, and getting lost" thing can apply to adventure games as well. At least with games like the aforementioned BotW and TotK, there's a way to know where you gotta head to so you're not lost.

@blindsquarel Yeah I've played a bit of Bug Fables, it's really good.

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

FishyS

@MarioLover92 Having lots of equipment to manage is another property of BotW which I like less than traditional Zelda.

I completely understand your perspective not thinking of Zelda as an RPG, but it seems like BotW definitely took a step in the action-JRPG direction. There aren't multiple party members, but that isn't unheard of even in the final fantasy franchise - e.g. Crisis Core. Even leveling up in BotW is more like an RPG since leveling up is basically 'grind when you want to get hp/stamina' as opposed to the traditional Zelda 'get key items automatically as you proceed'.

The definitions are arbitrary in the end, I just find it interesting that a lot of the changes in new Zelda are kind of in that direction (and apparently Nintendo thinks that too since they categorize the new games as rpgs).

Edited on by FishyS

FishyS

Switch Friend Code: SW-2425-4361-0241

Matt_Barber

Tears of the Kingdom has party members in the shape of the Sage spirits.

There's also a hidden experience system in both it and BotW that ensures that you meet tougher enemies based upon the quantity and number of different types that you've already beaten. That's why you'll almost always see silver enemies towards the end of the game where they're very rare at the beginning.

I'd think that most of the key elements of an RPG are in there somewhere. It's just that they're almost all done in very lightweight and unobtrusive fashions. That's in stark contrast to, say, Xenoblade which is like having a four hundred page rulebook thrown at you whenever you start a new entry in the series.

Matt_Barber

VoidofLight

@EaglyBird Unfortunately for the MGS collection, it doesn't run well at all.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

Snatcher

@EaglyBird I mean, as much as I complain about how nintnedo did 3d all stars and how I kinda thought it was a bit of a rip off…can I really complain? I got it, it runs well and I loved every second of time I and with it. I complain but I loved it! So in short I agree with you!

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

I’m very much alive!

Current obsession: Persona 3 reload.

FishyS

@Snatcher The only true 3D all stars complaint is making it limited edition. It doesn't run well for future people who can't buy it. 🤔

Edited on by FishyS

FishyS

FishyS

@sForzan I was shocked at how few farming games were in the last direct compared to usual. 😝 That said, farming games and strategic rpgs do sometimes seem to take over the third party portion of directs.

FishyS

VoidofLight

@sForzan I don't really like Stardew Valley to be honest. The atmosphere isn't great, and I don't like the gameplay loop. Even though it's a farming game, it's more about farming until you can automate it all, instead of being a proper farming game. Games Story of Seasons or Rune Factory offer different experiences for different crowds of people.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

Snatcher

@FishyS honestly that has got to be the dumbest thing ever, it’s so silly and messed up for people who want to play these games.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

I’m very much alive!

Current obsession: Persona 3 reload.

Grumblevolcano

About the Zelda RPG stuff, I got the impression that BotW and TotK are RPGs (like how Skyrim and Witcher 3 are RPGs) meanwhile the traditional 2D and 3D Zeldas are Action/Adventure. Not sure what you'd count Zelda 2 as though.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

ChumChum

@sForzan I think everybody is… the market has become oversaturated and nothing feels unique anymore.Though as others have said there weren’t a lot of farming sims in the recent direct.

ChumChum

kkslider5552000

I would agree in the sense that there's so many games that its sometimes hard to immediately stand out. ESPECIALLY for indie games, where I regularly see games that seem, at worst, really good, and forget about them a minute after I see them. You kinda have to find games to actually play at some point because the wide ocean of games is hard to get attached to.

For example, maybe half of the indie games I've even noticed the past while have been in two specific camps. Either retro shojo anime inspired but with a twist or 3D platformer-y games where you play as 2D sprites. It's basically those, Earthblade, Mina the Hollower, Plucky Squire and a tiny handful of 2023 releases that I only noticed because people I follow are into them.

Best example of this: I only found out yesterday the Snipperclip devs have a new game coming out. How? Nintendo published game from 6 years ago, somehow misses any info on a new game coming.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

NintendoByNature

I prefer to play all horror games on easy if there's an option. I want to play them, but im always scared as hell and worry about dying, losing progress, or wasting ammo. I'm a wimp lol

NintendoByNature

card-crunch78

I didn't laugh at all during "Kid Icarus: Uprising".

🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸

Sisilly_G

I love Fire Emblem, but I'm one of the "filthy casuals" who prefers to play in said mode. I might play at a higher difficulty if I enjoy the game enough, but I'll still stick with turning deaths off. What's the point of "permadeath" anyway when so many are inclined to restart the level every time a death inconveniences us? (Doesn't that defeat the purpose?) Further to that, some "dead" characters will continue to appear in cutscenes, which diminishes the novelty. If the game took a slightly different course (at least with regard to cutscenes) depending on which characters are still alive, then I might actually consider giving it a serious crack and see how far I can make it without retracing my steps.

NintendoByNature wrote:

I prefer to play all horror games on easy if there's an option. I want to play them, but im always scared as hell and worry about dying, losing progress, or wasting ammo. I'm a wimp lol

I don't blame you. I find the Resident Evil games hard enough with their ammo scarcity even on the easier difficulties.

I hate when games are designed to be insanely difficult just to essentially force us to keep retrying the stage over and over again. Once a game stops being fun, I'm out.

Though there are some rare examples where I prefer to play a game at a higher (if not the highest) difficulty. I would never seriously play DOOM on Nightmare as that would absolutely drive me insane (in that difficulty, monsters, including bosses, respawn periodically, monsters fire much more aggressively, and monster projectiles move at faster speeds), but I love Ultra Violence (which has the same initial number of monsters, but without the added aggression/speed/respawning).

I think I played DOOM 2016 in the lowest difficulty though. There are some lengthy load times between levels and deaths (loading times are virtually nonexistent in the classics), so I would rather avoid them if I can.

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

NintendoByNature

@Sisilly_G exactly, replaying sections I've played, specifically in horror games is a no go for me. Or losing progress in a horror for that matter. I thoroughly enjoy all the RE games, with the exception 0, and now 1. Mostly because of the limited saves. I save so often in horror games that if I know there's a limit, it sets my brain off in a panic every time I use it. I never played code Veronica but I do own it. I assume this will be much like 0 and 1 so I'll still clear.

NintendoByNature

Sisilly_G

@NintendoByNature : Oh, man, I had completely forgotten about those bloody ink things until you'd reminded me. I don't miss that horrid mechanic, but fortunately, the first Resident Evil was short and mostly generous enough to not drive one bonkers (and I seem to vaguely recall beating the game at a higher difficulty after beating it a bunch of times in Easy mode).

Revelations is considerably more frustrating as I've found myself in situations where I've completely run out of ammo during a boss sequence.

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

FawfulsFury

New super Mario bros ds has better multiplayer than any other mainline mario game

FawfulsFury

FawfulsFury

I prefer to play all games on normal difficulty and play it again on higher difficulty if I enjoyed it enough

FawfulsFury

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic