Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 10,801 to 10,820 of 12,088

Sunsy

Playing Sonic Lost World and Sonic Colors Ultimate recently made me reflect on something, Sonic has a wide variety of gameplay styles and stories. While some consider this to be bad, for me personally, I love how it makes each experience different. I could play one Sonic game, but if I get tired of it and want something different, but still want to play Sonic, I can just switch to another Sonic game.

Sonic has platforming, kart racing, hoverboard racing, spin-offs, even some shooting (Sonic Adventure games, and Shadow the Hedgehog comes to mind). While these did vary critically, I like that each one gave me something new to play. It may be unpopular, but I like it.

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

Snatcher

@Sunsy That’s what I have always thought. Even tho sonics games might not be great, the biggest reason for this is because they can’t stick to a style of sonic game, yet! So when people say everyone is doing open world which is true, sonic is the one that lease surprised me, if none else was doing it sonic would have at some point lol.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

Euler

Tounushi wrote:

@Euler @Heroofthenexus
Gaming platforms have a limited lifetime and most games never get ported, so if they're deemed unprofitable, they'll expire with the platforms. Thousands of instances of art, storytelling and gameplay experience lost to the ravages of time. All media decay: disks suffer rot in the lamination, individual units are broken by mishandling, cartridges lose the battery for their circuit boards, etc.
If there'd be a developer-sponsored platform through which you'll get an essentially permanent and perpetual guarantee of being able to play the games of yesteryear, that'd be great. But such a platform has yet to properly arise, as the current business model is built around limited-time subscriptions with changing rosters, a limited license to play the games rather than letting you own a discrete copy and re-releasing the games on console-bound compilations, remasters, repackagings or ports.

Gaming preservation is art preservation. Even if a game is considered pointless because of its obscurity and age, it's still a snapshot of entertainment from the time it was made, an artifact of culture.
Now think of how many stories have been forgotten, how many books have never again been read, how many silent-era movies that've not been seen in their full or intended form for over a century. Games that go without preservation, be they shovelware or hidden gems, fall into this same category.

Profitable classics get rereleased dozens and dozens of times over, while others are left to languish in ever-increasing obscurity due to the bottom line, tangled rights issues and general corporate disinterest.

If you'd limit preservation to original hardware and media only, then that's a ticking clock until they expire. And if they didn't fall to the ravages of time, they'd increasingly become the domain of the wealthy and the charitable. Museums would only be able to give limited access to their preserved hardware and collectors would snap up copies of games that are reaching prices orders of magnitude higher than their MSRP, of which not a dime will ever reach the developers or publishers anyway.

There's no problem with game preservation. Backing up the ROMs is perfectly legitimate, it only becomes theft when they're copied and distributed without the consent of the copyright holder. It's remarkable that people still pretend not to understand the difference. I can digitize a book that I've purchased, but I cannot post the PDF on the Internet. The same goes for a video game.

Heroofthenexus wrote:

@Euler One of the most bizarre takes I've ever read. So in your opinion, how would one go about playing such classics as Saturn Bomberman or the Lunar games?. What about Sega Rally Championship, or Burning Rangers?.
Would I have to find this elusive video game museum, or have to pay EBay scalpers exorbitant prices, thereby giving me the "right" to then download or backup a ROM of the game?. Make no mistake, by purchasing games such as Panzer Dragoon Saga in this manner not only are you not benefiting SEGA whatsoever, you aren't even benefiting the original developers and artists who have long since moved on. You are only benefiting hucksters who could care less about the game itself and just want to make a quick buck, for something that is destined to stop playing entirely no matter how well it's preserved.

Yes how dare I, a middle class gamer, not want to pay $1000 for Panzer Dragoon Saga!. Or $5000 for a game like Little Samson on the NES!. How dare I also not invest in the equipment required to properly backup those games!, I'm just a filthy pirating neckbeard that's what I am!. A THIEF. It's like I'm taking food right out of Miyamoto's mouth for not buying Doshin the Giant on EBay!. I should work harder and make more money, if only I weren't so lazy!. Thanks for showing me the light good sir, you should win the nobel prize for such solid advice.

And yes, what about the Nintendo Switch Online service?. $50 USD a year for a paltry selection of old roms, that Nintendo themselves probably downloaded "illegally" off of a website (which they were caught doing in the past FYI), which rarely ever gets updated, suffers from numerous emulation issues, and that I will never own no matter how many times I pay, and one that is destined to be shut down in a few years anyway. Wow, great preservation there, that'll sure last way longer than 5 years!.

Buying one of Hunter Biden's masterpieces off Ebay doesn't benefit the original artist in any way, but it would still be legal and not theft because the creator already received credit for a single copy. Forging copies of it and distributing them would be theft, even if he stops painting them and they would otherwise be unaffordable for a middle-class art enthusiast.

There are more NES games on NSO than anyone reading this legitimately owns, and the library gets updated regularly. There's nothing wrong with the emulation quality. There is no evidence that Nintendo has ever illegally downloaded ROMs for a game it doesn't own, claiming that they have is defamation. You're not entitled to a copy of any Nintendo game. If they decide to make "games as service" their business model for all games going forward (new and old), that would suck (it would probably make the Switch my last Nintendo console) but it wouldn't give me or anyone else the right to steal any Nintendo game.

Tounushi wrote:

My unpopular opinion, which I'm sure I'm no alone with: I am wholly content with 1080p at 30fps and consider higher resolutions to be a cashgrab similar to the bit wars and feel significantly higher fps to border on nauseating.
I've been a gamer since '91-'92 starting with the Philips Videopac and I've seen graphics make leaps and bounds in that decade alone, going from blocks with bleeps to crisp pixel art with chiptune symphonies to early 3D games with .midi masterpieces. The next decade saw polygon counts grow larger, movements become more fluid, textures gaining higher resolutions and sound tech moving to crisp recordings of actual instruments.

After 2005 this development had plateaued as I'd followed it in real time. While graphical fidelity has made leaps and bounds, current progress with ever-higher pixel counts for screens and ever faster refresh rates simply hasn't impressed me as much as what happened with graphics between 1991 and 2005. And the clamour to have ever more millions of pixels on the screen refreshing at rates significantly faster than the human eye could ever see seems downright silly to me. The approach to true photorealism is asymptotic, with ever greater efforts of reaching it going unnoticed in the final product.

Would I want Max Payne 1 and 2 be redone with Control's graphics? Hells yeah.
Would I play Control with Max Payne 1 or 2's graphics? I sure as hell would with both.

This. Except there were real differences graphics-wise between 8-bit, 16-bit, 32-bit, 64-bit, and 128(+?)-bit games. But they stopped being enough to actually matter right around when they stopped putting the number of bits on the front of the console. Improvements since then have been more and more marginal with each passing generation. There's an upper bound to what the human visual system is even capable of processing.

Edited on by Euler

Euler

Sunsy

@DarthNocturnal Chao Gardens were fun. I use to play with them a lot between the Dreamcast and GameCube versions. Always loved using the VMU like a tamagotchi with the Chao Adventure mini-games.

I would love a modern port of the Riders games. Yeah, I have Sonic & All-Star Racing on PC, Wii U, and 3DS. The 3DS version was rather cool, kept most of the main console game on a handheld. Yeah, PC is the best version, I played it when I got my new PC a few years back, and it runs so smooth.

@Snatcher Yeah, the closest we got to an open world Sonic is the adventure fields in Sonic Adventure games, those were still limited. Glad I'm not the only one who likes the variety, it helps me to not get burnt out from Sonic games because other games can offer a different experience, yet I'll hear some get burnt out from playing one game and only one game. So it offers for me variety of ways to enjoy my favorite series.

Edited on by Sunsy

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

Tounushi

@Euler

Euler wrote:

There's no problem with game preservation. Backing up the ROMs is perfectly legitimate, it only becomes theft when they're copied and distributed without the consent of the copyright holder. It's remarkable that people still pretend not to understand the difference. I can digitize a book that I've purchased, but I cannot post the PDF on the Internet. The same goes for a video game.

Your scenario works when there's still a legitimate way for a normal consumer to gain access to a game, whether it'd be through a streaming service like NSO, continued sale of the original product as a port, collections that package retro games by theme or franchise, or individual rereleases that add to the original product. These require publisher interest and sorted-out rights issues.
What @Heroofthenexus and I are getting at is when there is no availability whatsoever on the market other than eBay or flea markets and with the possibility of the medium being already expired. Owning a piece of physical media at that point is essentially bragging rights and having a collectible. We just want access to the game itself in a playable form that's as close to the original presentation as possible. If it gets rereleased, that's great and on the wishlist it goes; but the likelihood of any particular obscure game being rereleased is diminishing at best.

That said I've compiled myself a list of games from old systems I want to at least try, and I scratch off a row every time I buy a port of one or one gets rereleased or put on a streaming service. NSO and Antstream are great at that. Even the 3DS and Wii U libraries pull their weight. However, hundreds of games still remain on that list.

Edited on by Tounushi

Tounushi

Nintendo Network ID: Tounushi

Anti-Matter

I was watching the gameplay video of Yokai Watch 4++ on PS5 from YouTube and I was surprised with the quality.

It was so damn beautiful 3D environment in smooth 60 fps, thanks to PS5 power and it made Pokemon games looks like an amateur games project.
Remember, Yokai Watch games made by Level-5, maybe not as rich as bigger developers like Gamefreaks but they are able to make game like this ?
Gamefreaks should learn a lot from Level-5 in making better animation and graphics for their Pokemon games.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

Pizzamorg

I was thinking about this one while writing the last post I just wrote, and I think depending on when you were born the degree of which this counts as a truly unpopular opinion will change. But, I think free to play games are a cancer on the gaming industry.

The gaming industry does so much ***** stuff that I think free to play games are able to get away with a lot of stuff that really shouldn't fly. But they'll say it allows people to play games who may not have been able to afford to play the title had it been a full priced game and then it just gets forgiven, while it absolutely rinses its player base through predatory and manipulative monetisation.

It is funny, because games like Warframe are spoken about really warmly it seems, but this is one of the most predatory games I have ever played. I dunno how it seems to always slip under the radar. I remember pricing up just how much it would cost just to colour my Warframe in, and the costs got into the hundreds - for literally basic colours, because you had to buy colours in packs, and the packs were like 20 odd quid a piece. Insanity. And the fact they sort of force you to spend money, as otherwise you need to wait for real world time (and sometimes like a ludicrous amount of time too, like we are talking days' worth) for things to craft just sucks.

Nothing kills my interest in a title like it announcing it is going to be free to play. Logging in and seeing a convoluted series of currencies and upgrade paths, clearly designed to bamboozle the player, so they look towards the much more simplified real money options. It just sucks. And every time they'll say, 'but you can get all of this for free!' and technically this is true, but they exclude the part where you'd need to play the game at the highest level for 16 hours a day for the next decade to actually get everything for free.

I know not all of these games are like this, I am pretty sure I remember Apex gave you the option to basically just buy everything for a pretty reasonable price. That goes back a few years now, so I dunno if that has changed, but these options are not offered enough.

I wish every one of these games just gave me the option to pay the full price of a title and just get all of the content included, but very few of them do that. Instead, a free to play game is either a massive grind, or just ends up being more expensive than a free to play title and not even by a small margin, we are talking like significantly more for considerably less content and value. I wish this model would die.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Pizzamorg

Eagly wrote:

@Pizzamorg I agree but I don’t think that’s an unpopular opinion

I think it isn't for those of us who are older (I have no idea how old you are). But I have seen people who argue very strongly in the defence of them who are on the younger end, because it allows them to play games they couldn't afford otherwise, which is why I included the top disclaimer. You have to remember; some people have been raised on free to play models and weren't even alive for the days when games were content complete out of the box for one price. Old man yells at cloud be damned.

kkslider5552000

F2P games is one of those things where I see the appeal from it, but from the outside, it does feel like a system that'll just inevitably go too far with the monetization. Because only the bigger f2p games can keep reliably getting new content forever, and only the bigger f2p games feel obligated to go too far with it and then the rest just disappear. Exactly the same as the mobile market in general, Apple Arcade can try all it wants, mobile gaming is still mobile gaming and I feel entirely disinterested in it.

also even as someone who tries to save money with gaming, there's so many games that end up on sale for like a couple of bucks, its not pricey to find quality games outside of f2p nowadays

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Pizzamorg

kkslider5552000 wrote:

F2P games is one of those things where I see the appeal from it, but from the outside, it does feel like a system that'll just inevitably go too far with the monetization. Because only the bigger f2p games can keep reliably getting new content forever, and only the bigger f2p games feel obligated to go too far with it and then the rest just disappear. Exactly the same as the mobile market in general, Apple Arcade can try all it wants, mobile gaming is still mobile gaming and I feel entirely disinterested in it.
also even as someone who tries to save money with gaming, there's so many games that end up on sale for like a couple of bucks, its not pricey to find quality games outside of f2p nowadays

Yeah, this is true, especially on PC where games can go on deep discounts very quickly thanks to 3rd party resellers. If you can be patient and wait for a bit, gaming doesn't have to be an expensive hobby at all, outside of those entry costs for the hardware. It makes the already very flimsy justification for free to play models needing to exist even flimsier.

Eagly wrote:

@Pizzamorg Okay I didn’t actually consider that but I’d also argue that the majority of people on this site young or old grew up on single player games

Maybe, but it is unpopular gaming opinions, not unpopular Nintendolife opinions lol

EllaTheQueen6

Pokemon is overrated. That's it. That's the post.

Y'all, let's go play Legally Distinct Pocket Creatures!
Vice president/second divine goddess of the Chit-Chat thread

3DS Friend Code: 2252-0354-0887

blindsquirrel

@EllaTheKawaiiNeko
I agree, but i can definitely see the appeal. I also think that it is a franchise littered with nostalgia, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

Currently playing: Pokemon Soul Silver, Mario RPG
Enos 1:15

WaffleBoat

Mother 3 is better than earthbound. Mostly because of the less grinding though.

I fear no man
but that thing:
The carrot minigame from bowser's inside story
it scares me

WaffleBoat

@Kermit1
That’s how I feel about Nintendo labo

I fear no man
but that thing:
The carrot minigame from bowser's inside story
it scares me

kkslider5552000

WaffleBoat wrote:

Mother 3 is better than earthbound. Mostly because of the less grinding though.

You don't have to grind in Earthbound.

I don't know why people think you do, especially since Mother 3 is more challenging.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Kermit1doesmath

@Kairu I only keep the cards with the artwork I like, and a few cards worth $$$.

dysgraphia awareness human

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic