Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 10,121 to 10,140 of 10,763

I-U

I cannot speak for most games beyond Metroid with regard to difficulty settings, but I've found the typical easy and hard mode options a very generic way to re-experience a game. Dread Mode is a more interesting take on providing additional challenge to a second play through if were available. Unfortunately, I found out I would have to beat Hard Mode to play Dread Mode. Completing Dread twice, one run of which I'm not too interested in the difficulty design, to get to a more interesting run condition isn't great. Dread Mode's implementation adds a flaw to the game that didn't need to be there. It should be updated now so that any difficulty can be selected at the start of a new game.

"The secret to ultimate power lies in the Alimbic Cluster."

Sunsy

@Snatcher Thank you. Difficulty settings have always been in games throughout the years. On SNES and Game Boy, I remember games like Mortal Kombat had easiest, easy, medium, hard, and very hard. Even Super Mario Land 2 had an easy mode by pressing select at the file select screen.

To me, having difficulty settings and choice isn't anything new, when they are there, it's up to the player to play what they feel comfortable playing at.

Snatcher wrote:

(Sorry for multi posting) That was pretty much the only reason I had interest in splatoon to begin with, It was a shooter, but with a really big twist.

No capture points to take, to payload to move, no kills to worry about, just how much of an area you can color then the other team, with a shooter base, I just hope they don't draw away from this path.

This is exactly why I was interested in Splatoon when they revealed the first one on Wii U. It was very different than what shooters were doing for years. This coming from someone who loved playing different shooters throughout the years.

Sunsy

Pizzamorg

VoidofLight wrote:

@Pizzamorg It's not really Gatekeeping. It's just saying "Don't play it if you don't like these sorts of games". Different people will like different things, and you clearly don't enjoy games with harder difficulties, or games that even showcase challenge. Instead of expecting challenging games to change for you, or saying they're bad because they're hard, why not just play other games?

Edit: I don't enjoy overly easy games like Kirby, but I don't say "Kirby is bad because it's too easy! It needs a hard mode!". I just don't play Kirby.

I mean you make a poor assumption here, I am a massive Monster Hunter fan, a series notorious for being a hard franchise. But I do like how you have directed this into an attack at my character, rather than the argument itself, which shows you have no real argument at all to the point I was originally making.

And again, it almost doesn't matter at all, as Git Gudders are losing, as more and more games add in difficulty or accessibility options for their customers.

Snatcher wrote:

@Pizzamorg Does it count as gatekeeping tho? Its not like its impossible to beat it, its not impossible to view the story if you want.

'if you don't like the difficulty go play something else' is pretty much the very definition.

Edited on by Pizzamorg

My @ handle everywhere is Pizzamorg.
My Friend Code is: SW-6997-6872-4381
Switch games currently playing: Mario Tennis Aces. Pokémon Brilliant Diamond. RingFit Adventure.
PC games currently playing: The Division 2. WWE 2K22. Tiny Tina's Wonderlands.

VoidofLight

@Pizzamorg I wasn't even attacking your character. I was making an assumption based on what I've seen you say about harder games, like how you were with the Legends Arceus thread and the one post-game fight.

Also, I don't think "If this game isn't for you, then go play another game" is gatekeeping. It's just telling someone who's expecting the game to change for them personally that it won't, and they're better off not demanding said change to be made. Again, I don't go into Kirby comment threads demanding a hard mode because the game is extremely easy. I just don't play Kirby.

Currently Playing: Persona 3 Portable and Pokemon White 2!

Losermagnet

@VoidofLight if they're on their "gatekeeping" kick it's a lost cause.

Untitled

Btw, since it's kind of relevant how did you find Dark Souls? You tried it awhile back right?

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

Pizzamorg

VoidofLight wrote:

@Pizzamorg I wasn't even attacking your character. I was making an assumption based on what I've seen you say about harder games, like how you were with the Legends Arceus thread and the one post-game fight.

Also, I don't think "If this game isn't for you, then go play another game" is gatekeeping. It's just telling someone who's expecting the game to change for them personally that it won't, and they're better off not demanding said change to be made. Again, I don't go into Kirby comment threads demanding a hard mode because the game is extremely easy. I just don't play Kirby.

Lucky I don't need to "demand" it, as the change is already coming!

My @ handle everywhere is Pizzamorg.
My Friend Code is: SW-6997-6872-4381
Switch games currently playing: Mario Tennis Aces. Pokémon Brilliant Diamond. RingFit Adventure.
PC games currently playing: The Division 2. WWE 2K22. Tiny Tina's Wonderlands.

Losermagnet

@Sunsy i missed your @ awhile back somehow. Yeah I felt the same about Splatoon on the Wii U. I think if Ninty cant come up with an innovative reason to develop an IP more often than not they won't do it 😕 i'm kind of surprised we didn't get more motion or HD rumble games.

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

Snatcher

@Sunsy Splatoon And even splatoon has a playload like mode, but even thats very different, as you need to splat the ground to get it to move I think, It just sounds like a really fun time, to bad I was to late and Now I got to wait for three (More like I hate that I want to wait for three)

Sorry if I sound offensive to some people because I'm not trying to. But lets say you buy crash bandicoot 4 right? without any knowing about how hard its going to be, why is it the games fault, I feel like its your job to do you research on a game, that money was only wasted because you just got the game on a wim, idk maybe I'm assuming a lot here, but I never understood it.

One more thing Sunsy. Pretty much what you said, when they have it, they have it, and its up to you to to play what you like, but if it isn't, there isn't much you can do because the dev just didn't feel like thats how they wanted there game to be played.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside.

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Snatcher

Losermagnet wrote:

@VoidofLight if they're on their "gatekeeping" kick it's a lost cause.

Untitled

Btw, since it's kind of relevant how did you find Dark Souls? You tried it awhile back right?

I really need to play dark souls some day, I will get to it, but I hope people didn't over hype how hard it is, Because that has happen'd to me before.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside.

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Pizzamorg

Removed - flaming/arguing

My @ handle everywhere is Pizzamorg.
My Friend Code is: SW-6997-6872-4381
Switch games currently playing: Mario Tennis Aces. Pokémon Brilliant Diamond. RingFit Adventure.
PC games currently playing: The Division 2. WWE 2K22. Tiny Tina's Wonderlands.

Losermagnet

@Snatcher yeeeeesssss. If you do let me know, I love talking about it 😁 It has a steep learning curve no doubt. And it's not exactly user-friendly (you can't pause the game, for instance). But I personally thought Hollow Knight was harder than Dark Souls. I'm bad with twitch gameplay though, I can play tank-y with DS. Did you end up beating Hollow Knight? I know you were into it for awhile.

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

VoidofLight

@Losermagnet Darksouls is great from what I've played so far. It feels like I get hit with a sack of bricks each time I die, but I love how it's fair enough to allow me to learn with each death. Once you learn the controls, it gets easier as well.

Currently Playing: Persona 3 Portable and Pokemon White 2!

VoidofLight

@Pizzamorg Then here's hoping the next kirby game lets you die with each hit taken then, since All games should be for everyone after all, and if a hard game can't exist to be hard, then easy games can't exist either. They all have to have hard and easy modes for everyone.

Currently Playing: Persona 3 Portable and Pokemon White 2!

Pizzamorg

VoidofLight wrote:

@Pizzamorg Then here's hoping the next kirby game lets you die with each hit taken then, since All games should be for everyone after all, and if a hard game can't exist to be hard, then easy games can't exist either. They all have to have hard and easy modes for everyone.

I can't tell whether you're joking or actually thinking you are making a good point? But if you're just trolling let us just end this discussion here, as it seems clear you are replying to me without anything to actually argue for, beyond base exclusionism.

My @ handle everywhere is Pizzamorg.
My Friend Code is: SW-6997-6872-4381
Switch games currently playing: Mario Tennis Aces. Pokémon Brilliant Diamond. RingFit Adventure.
PC games currently playing: The Division 2. WWE 2K22. Tiny Tina's Wonderlands.

Sunsy

@Losermagnet Surprisingly I haven't thought about HD rumble, I've always been the type who turns off rumble. I've been doing it since the GameCube days. By not making a new IP, it's pretty much playing it safe. If I remember, Splatoon was a bit of a risk, yet it sold well despite being on the Wii U.

Now that I think about it, I remember playing Tank Troopers on 3DS, it's a game stuck on the 3DS. It's a tank game, but had its own style, characters, and tanks. It felt very Nintendo-y for lack of a better word. Saddens me that it's not even on Switch, or had a chance to shine. It came out between the end of the Wii U, but before the Switch's launch.

@Snatcher I think I played that mode with a friend. We usually do that mode as it forces us to fight over the point, and keep the game going when doing a 1v1.

I don't think you sound offensive, I agree with that. Personally, I don't think I ever had a hard time playing a Crash Bandicoot game, even when my brother had a PS1. Given how accessible the Internet is, you can watch videos to see what the game is like, see impressions from people who play games, it's not like what it use to be, magazines and word of mouth from friends. Some games even have demos, free weekends (on PC), or even trials in the case of Switch.

Yeah, also I do play games that don't have difficulty settings too. Recently playing a classic PC dungeon crawler called Eye of the Beholder II, got it from GOG. It's from the early 90's, enjoying it as I wanted to try a classic dungeon crawler. It is a bit hard, but mostly trial and error, nothing too over the top and difficult. I do have to refer to an included guide to see the maps since the game is so old.

Edited on by Sunsy

Sunsy

kkslider5552000

I had a larger point, but my only real point is I know how difficult game dev is, so while accessibility and difficulty options are cool, it's never gonna be a deal breaker for me (unless the game itself is not for me, which is fine).

VoidofLight wrote:

Then here's hoping the next kirby game lets you die with each hit taken then

Hard modes and tougher extra "to get to 100%" challenges are the norm for Kirby. Even the original in 1992.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

Anti-Matter

VoidofLight wrote:

I feel like easy mode generally ruins the experience, and seems like an easy way out for people who don’t want to spend time learning the games at times, but eh.

I need Easy Mode for every games I have never before played especially games like Ratchet & Clank. Not everyone want to show off to other peoples by playing in Hard Mode. I can play DDR until the hardest level since I devoted to the games and keep practicing over than 18 years but still I need easier mode to balance the gameplay.

Top 8 Konami's Rhythm games:
1. Dance Dance Revolution
2. Para Para Paradise
3. DrumMania
4. Beatmania IIDX
5. Pop'n Music
6. KeyboardMania
7. Martial Beat
8. DANCE EVOLUTION

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

Snatcher

@Losermagnet Yep, got the true ending, and then did all of the grim troupe. I love grims boss fight, it feels so much like an actual dance, its great! 10/10 game, and now i'm on the silksong waiting list. If I ever get dark souls, I will make sure you know.

@Sunsy Whenever I buy something, I i'm heavy into looking how it plays, whats worth it, how it preforms, all of it before I buy it. Probably why I haven't hated to many of the games that I played, unless it a day one buy.

Edited on by Snatcher

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside.

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Snatcher

@Pizzamorg to be fair, I actually don't think they know its you, they read voids post and just gave there thoughts on whoever it was, because they didn't even say your name, but hey maybe I'm wrong, I have no idea LOL.

Edited on by Snatcher

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside.

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Anti-Matter

Wii Music was such an underrated Mii games on Wii.
Wii Music was one of the best Mii games on Wii as you can make your own Custom Jam from available songs with your own style and your own speed. This is a game that perfectly for me who have interest in arts and like to experiment in creating something. But too bad, a lot of peoples don't really appreciate Wii Music.

Top 8 Konami's Rhythm games:
1. Dance Dance Revolution
2. Para Para Paradise
3. DrumMania
4. Beatmania IIDX
5. Pop'n Music
6. KeyboardMania
7. Martial Beat
8. DANCE EVOLUTION

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic