Forums

Topic: The Unoffical TV Show Mega Thread

Posts 101 to 120 of 978

Rambler

Dorries is a cultural vandal who wears her ignorance with pride. But that does remind me that is recently acquired one of her romance novels (she spends a lot of time doing stuff other than her job). Gonna give it to someone as a commiseration prize.

Anyways second series of The Outlaws is off to a good start.

All these people going out about what is the best show on Disney+ when Atlanta is on there...

Rambler

jump

Rambler wrote:

All these people going out about what is the best show on Disney+ when Atlanta is on there...

Atlanta is amazeballs, if I was a braver person I'd even say it tops Community and his career as Childish Gambino too. I'm currently waiting for season 3 to finish so I can binge it in a weekend.

I do find it funny people are going on about WandaVision or Loki being the best Marvel show when they don't touch the mending bending brilliance of Legion.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

RR529

@Rambler, while this is a British site, a good number of users are from the US, where most of Disney's more mature catalog is segmented off into Hulu (including all the FX shows like Atlanta, Sons of Anarchy, etc). This may play a part as to why you don't hear people referring to that stuff as Disney+ shows.

@Link-Hero, I want to watch the Boys myself, but am gonna hold off until I finish the Man in the High Castle.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

jump

@Link-Hero Well the average user on here doesn't like straying too far from Disney or anime so it's not surprising they aren't watching a sweary violent show coated in meta irony and sarcasm.

The Boys is well worth a watch. It's a fantastic faithful adaptation of the original comic (done by the same team who did the also awesome adaptation of Preacher) with the highlights being the cast all around but especially Karl Urban who smashes his role, there's some cool easter eggs like Simon Pegg plays Hugh's dad and back in the 90s when the comic was written Hugh was based on Simon Pegg's Spaced character and some really nice tender moments away from it's general madness.

It's dark humour driven though so it's sweary, rapey, cynical and gorey but it's used to elevate its themes and story rather than to be shocking even if it does almost touch the shocking for the sake of it line a few times though.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Pizzamorg

Not really sure what to make of that first episode of Ms Marvel. I can't relate to it even slightly, but maybe that isn't a problem as I get to learn about different cultures. It all certainly seems quite charming, but I didn't really get much proof of concept from the first episode.

Also last week was the first episode of Obi Wan I properly enjoyed, and I hear people calling this week's episode the worst yet, so currently putting off watching that until I have more time, as I haven't enjoyed the show overall anyway.

Have been working my way through Peacemaker, I absolutely love it. Strikes the same kind of magic that makes Gunn's work so enjoyable.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Kermit1doesmath

@Pizzamorg the first episode of Ms Marvel felt like what the "MCU" Spiderman credits art looked like, to me anyway.

Edited on by Kermit1doesmath

dysgraphia awareness human

Pizzamorg

Kermit1 wrote:

@Pizzamorg the first episode of Ms Marvel felt like what the "MCU" Spiderman credits art looked like, to me anyway.

I actually liked all of that stuff, I feel like without it the show would have been visually really dull and bland. But there was almost no story to this opening episode and it's gonna get real old, real fast, at least for me, if we're now four episodes in and it's just 'my parents are strict here is a doodle of my imagination' for another 45 minutes. I know there is the post credit scene thingy which seems to be setting something up, but that first episode was really just a whole lot of nothing.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Kermit1doesmath

Recently I've been watching tons of Mystery Science Theater 3000. I think I'm in love, the riffing on "cheesy old films", the cast, the humor. So pretty much everything, I don't have much else to say I really like this show.

(the songs, the writing, the cheap feel, I could go on tbh)

Edited on by Kermit1doesmath

Rambler

@WoomyNNYes
It stays pretty good as well, although I've not seen the latest.

If you haven't seen it, I would recommend Dark, also on Netflix. It starts off a little similar to ST due to an 80s theme, but is far more involving and nuanced

Rambler

Rambler

@jump
Not seen or read either, but The Boys sounds like the sort of comic that would've freaked me out as a kid (
and I liked reading EC comics)
Tim in Spaced is named after a 2000AD writer

Last comic to do a number on me was Skin.

(As a tangent, the fact that Keith Urban is a country singer amuses me)

Edited on by Rambler

Rambler

jump

@Rambler I once listed to a podcast because Karl Urban was the guest. It was during lockdown so it was done over Zoom and so it sounded pooey and couldn’t hear his voice cleanly but it was an Aussie accent which must be similar to a natural New Zealand accent. They started asking him about his marriage to Nicole Kidman and his music career which surprised me as I didn’t know he was married to her and thought he must be a musician on the side like Johnny Depp or the Spike actor from Buffy until I clogged on that I missed read Keith as Karl. I was very disappointed I didn’t get to hear stories from him about Dread, Star Trek and The Boys.

Nicolai wrote:

jump

@Kermit1 tangent means off/side topic, and definitely not a type of weapon you use to kill homeless people with!

Nicolai wrote:

Kermit1doesmath

@jump Oh ok, I make tons of those everyday

sidenote: R-rated TV is not for me... I don't handle extreme language and violence well

jump

@Kermit1 I’m the same, I’m too heavily influenced by what I see on tv especially R rated shows so I try to avoid them. When I watched Sons Of Anarchy I tore the sleeves off my denim jacket, got onto my bicycle and started riding around the street blasting Zakk Wylde music whilst drinking coke through my noses not understanding how it wasn’t making me happy like the bikers on the telly.

Nicolai wrote:

jump

@Rambler of course. It was part of the initiation to join the biker gang, I had to collect the noses from rival gang members.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic