Forums

Topic: The Universal Games Ranking Forum (Currently: Characters/Weapons/etc. You Hate Playing Against)

Posts 401 to 420 of 494

GoldenGamer88

Hmm ... disappointed? Thing is, I‘m a pessimist by nature. Keeps expectations low so blows aren‘t as bad and success feels oh so sweeter (if only this would help with Splatoon).

I‘d say Yooka-Laylee is one of the few games I was kinda disappointed in. Banjo is one of my favorite games of all time so my interest in YL was reasonably high. But upon launch, it wasn‘t so much the common technical criticisms that made me dislike the game but rather its entire game design. Most of the game‘s ideas are either recycled from Banjo without a clever spin on it or are just plain boring, some even irritating. Like the energy bar. Rolling around the worlds would‘ve been as much fun as that Kazooie walk, if it didn‘t depend on the energy bar. It also seems a bit too finicky at times. Also, they could’ve been more creative in the moves department. Some of the moves you learn in World 2 or 3 are so basic, Bottles would’ve taught you them in Spiral Mountain or Mumbo’s Mountain. I‘ll double dip on it next week as I‘ve never finished it.

Another, I think, would be Paper Mario: Sticker Star. I did read up on it and saw gameplay and trailers before my purchase so the blow wasn‘t too bad but the fact alone that they did away with the classic and unique Paper Mario art style and went total NSMB with the new designs irritates the ever loving daylights out of me. Then that they decided to screw the story and characters and just have a level per level system. And then the Battle System but I‘d say anyone who‘s played it knows what I‘m talking about. Color Splash made a step in the right direction but it‘s nowhere near where it was during the N64/GC and even the Wii era.

Third, we have Viva Piñata: Trouble in Paradise. Many people may consider Rare dead since they were bought up by Microsoft. But imho, they produced one last great game - Viva Piñata. It was the very game I bought a X360 for und it didn‘t disappoint. Then Pocket Paradise for the DS rolled around and it was ... eh ... Anyway, then a true sequel was released in form of Trouble in Paradise. So what went wrong imo? Well, that desert and Antarctic areas felt way too distracting from what should be the focus, your garden and everything living in it. And then Piñatas from these two areas want so and so much sand or ice in the garden on top of whatever the others needed. Spacial maximization has always been a key aspect of VP but with this small of a garden, it just limited my creativity so dang much it robbed any fun out of the experience for me, which is building up and rebuilding your garden with your favorite Piñatas. The other additions to the game didn‘t feel as creative either. Rare may be laying dead on the floor even moreso than during the early 2010s but I‘m still hoping for a third VP, even moreso than a new Banjo tbh.

Tales of Xillia 2 is another game that, in a way, disappointed me. I mean, the story around Ludger, Elle and so on is okayish (even though I wished Ludger wasn’t a mute, never a good idea to have these in rpgs) but why they had to tag the Xillia 1 cast onto there, I‘ll never understand. I mean, it‘s cool to play as Gaius but for most of them, they don‘t really seem to have a reason for joining you. Also - spoilers for the ending, don‘t open if you plan on playing this game - I‘d care more about Ludger sacrificing himself to guarantee a future for Elle if he had any personality or likable aspects to him whatsoever. That‘s my problem with silent protagonists - I don‘t care about them because they are just blank pieces of wood. I love the Tales series and Xillia 1 is especially great but Xillia 2 felt like a letdown.

Honestly, I‘d put Xenoblade Chronicles X here but the game felt so boring to me, I couldn‘t crack the 15 hours mark in a game you could pump hundreds of hours into. Silent protagonist? Check. Ugly and from the outset unlikable protagonists? Check. Ugly locals? Check. Story that had so much potential and yet they have to have an antagonist? Check. Hey, how about we, the humans, destroyed Earth so when we land on Mira or whatever that ugly planet‘s called, its natives are distrusting of us because they fear we do the same to Mira and some of us slowly do, causing the nature of mankind as greedy and egocentric beings to become an undefeatable enemy, something that needs to be kept in check and yada yada yada, You probably get the point. Or not, idc.

Edited on by GoldenGamer88

Join the NL Inklings Discord Server: https://discord.gg/5gf7xg3

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-8427-0621-0325, Username: Montillo
PSN: Montillo88

Nintendo Network ID: Montillo

Ralizah

Ooof... this'll take a while...

Final Fantasy XIII: Pretty much the definitive "I was excited for this and found it incredibly disappointing" game. As a huge fan of the FF games since the PSOne era, I eagerly snatched this up when it first released and... well... nothing in it resembles the series I used to know and love. Gameplay is literally running down corridors. The battle system practically plays itself. The characters are all incredibly shallow and generic. The biggest step down in quality I've ever seen in one go.

Fallout 4 - Ugly-looking game with an uninspired overworld that is overly preoccupied with a horrible little town-building minigame and boring weapon customization. All of the quests I played were... not poorly written, but not interesting, either. The dialogue system is famously awful. VATS was nerfed, and this feels less like an RPG and more like an action game than even Fallout 3.

Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaires' Conspiracy is incredibly disappointing. While the visual style is still a delight, the puzzles aren't terribly clever, the storyline is borderline nonexistent, and none of the characters are as charming or memorable as previous Layton characters. I kind of hope the series just dies here: clearly the new puzzle master isn't up to the task of creating the sort of puzzles the series had become known for... puzzles so well-designed that they infuriated me when I struggled with their simplicity.

Bloodborne: Shallower, gothier version of Souls that railroads players into a hyper-aggressive playstyle. Uninspired environments and questionable performance on the PS4 as well.

Senran Kagura: Estival Versus: A massive step down from previous games in almost every way. The plot is pure fetish fuel, the character animations have been changed to remove the wonderful twitchiness of previous games (it feels like they tried integrated deliberate, MH-esque animations into a game not designed for that sort of intentionality at all), and old characters are flanderized shadows of their former selves (granted, this didn't start with Estival, but it's most pronounced in this game).

The Last of Us: A boring, tropey slog that only trusts the player to engage in busy work and kill waves or groups of enemies so as not to muss up its very deliberate pacing. The "movie game" thing works well enough for Uncharted, but I found it to be horrendous here.

Super Mario 64: I didn't expect this to be as good as subsequent games in the series, but I wasn't quite expecting it to be as dated and horrible an experience as it turned out to be. The in-game camera is one of the worst I've ever seen, the in-game physics are weird, and, yes, I get that it's an old game, but even for an N64 title it's still uniquely ugly. The level design sucks, the tasks you're supposed to perform are frequently infuriatingly tedious (going down slides, chasing penguins, etc.), and, overall, it just did not age well.

Xenoblade Chronicles: Visually unappealing, a clunker of a story, unlikable characters, forgettable music, filled with utterly meaningless fetch quests, "exploration" is pointless as the game is, by design, a linear JRPG, etc. The open world was impressive for a Wii game, but otherwise I have very little that's nice to say about this.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD: I won't say it's a bad game, because I haven't played enough to judge it, but the first three or so hours were unenjoyable enough that I actively dread going back to this. Ugly visuals, clunky movement, tedious gameplay, etc. I bought this at launch, eagerly started it when I first got it, and haven't been back since. Talk about making a poor first impression!

I'm sure there are others, but those immediately came to mind.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Tyranexx

Ralizah wrote:

Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaires' Conspiracy is incredibly disappointing. While the visual style is still a delight, the puzzles aren't terribly clever, the storyline is borderline nonexistent, and none of the characters are as charming or memorable as previous Layton characters. I kind of hope the series just dies here: clearly the new puzzle master isn't up to the task of creating the sort of puzzles the series had become known for... puzzles so well-designed that they infuriated me when I struggled with their simplicity.

That's...disappointing to learn. I'm a relatively new Layton fan and have played through the original trilogy; Unwound Future is undoubtedly one of the best DS games that I've played. I decided not to get this game on 3DS but was figuring on getting it for mobile. Should I even bother at this point?

Ralizah wrote:

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD: I won't say it's a bad game, because I haven't played enough to judge it, but the first three or so hours were unenjoyable enough that I actively dread going back to this. Ugly visuals, clunky movement, tedious gameplay, etc. I bought this at launch, eagerly started it when I first got it, and haven't been back since. Talk about making a poor first impression!

Get past the first few hours and the game really opens up. Where did you stop, if you don't mind me asking?

I'll be devising a list on this, but I'll need to collect my thoughts a little more.

Currently playing: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch), Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Ralizah

@Tyranexx I'd say Layton's Mystery Journey is probably worth trying. It's not oppressively bad or anything, but Professor Layton is one of my favorite series, and this entry... ugh. If you don't mind the new puzzles, you'll probably like it more than I did. The mobile release is WAY cheaper than the 3DS version, and aside from a few microtransaction locked puzzles and costumes, it's pretty much the complete experience. Also, the interface translates very well to mobile. While I'm not a fan of the game itself, I wouldn't actually mind if future Layton games only released on mobile.

Play it, and if you think it's mediocre, play the stellar prequel trilogy to get the bad taste out of your mouth. Azran Legacy, in particular, is probably my second favorite game in the series (nothing will ever top Unwound Future, in my opinion).

RE: Twilight Princess, I stopped soon after the first major dungeon. Like I said, I didn't get far in.

@CreamyDream THANK YOU! I'd forgotten entirely about 1/2 Genie Hero.

1/2 Genie Hero is a massive disappointment. It's missing the great level design, large dungeons, and open world of previous games, and instead opts for a shallow, almost arcadey approach to its levels. It's obscenely easy, even in comparison to Risky's Revenge, and the story and character banter have been toned down to the point where it feels like it lost a lot of its personality. This is particularly disappointing considering Shantae and the Pirate's Curse is arguably the best exploratory, Metroidvanian platformer on the 3DS.

And I wouldn't say I was disappointed in Legends, considering its stellar game design, but it feels less like an adventure and more like a level pack. It's pretty much the Super Mario Galaxy 2 of the new Rayman games: more creative, but less cohesive as an overall experience.

Edited on by Ralizah

kkslider5552000

I'm gonna ignore Final Fantasy XIII, since my experience with the game (and my hatred of it) has been by WATCHING the story, not playing the game.

1. Nintendo's 2004 lineup - This is at the top of the list because a lot of Nintendo's game (or games I just bought on a Nintendo system), in one way or another, did not live up to my expectations at the time. This includes games I genuinely love like Paper Mario 2 and Metroid Prime 2, but they were still sequels to two of my favorite games. Metroid Prime 2, had no chance to live up to 1, and was very annoying at times, for a first time playthrough especially. And no matter how many improvements TTYD made to the Paper Mario formula, there was far too much, really poorly implemented backtracking that I could not stand, at least at the time. It was the wind waker sailing of Mario RPGs. (though I will say, I was in a bit of a hype backlash mood as well, which is a stupid thing to do, ever).

Custom Robo was an exciting game, until I realized the combat wasn't what I wanted and because the story sucked. Kirby and the Amazing Mirror I felt was a misguided use of Metroidvania that just made levels more boring to me. Pokemon Colosseum utterly failed to live up to my hopes for an exciting, darker story in any way (and I don't think was a great Pokemon game regardless). Mario 64 DS wasn't as good as the original at all. Mario Power Tennis...ok I have no idea why I liked N64 Mario Tennis more than the GCN one. And there's a bunch more if you include 3rd party games released that year that I played on GCN or GBA. It's not even like I disliked all these games, but it was just such a weird trend that for that year specifically, few games lived up to my expectations.

2. Yoshi's Island DS - I really did not like this game. But a lot of it is because they just made a kinda ok, very bland platformer, as a sequel to one of my favorite games ever. And between Baby Peach being somehow vastly more annoying than Baby Mario, and just being bored or uninterested in its baby specific gimmicks and level design, it just made me sad. It's probably not the worst game, but the quality difference between the two games is just massive and it took until 2 years ago for someone to make something even in the same universe of quality as the original.

3. Megaman Network Transmission - "Hey what if we took the RPG Megaman series, tried to make a Megaman platformer out of it but with still kept the card system, and did absolutely nothing to make these two types of games work together in a way that would actually be fun?" "Why, that would be brilliant!"

4. Vanquish - Ok, no matter how awesome the game is if you really master it, and no matter how talented Platinum is, they still decided to make a post-Gears of War cover based shooter. This will always be a waste of their talents, imo. They tried their best, it's fun at points, but I never need to play a game whose core gameplay is summed up as "3rd person cover shooter" ever again. Unless it's Mass Effect for whatever reason.

5. Mario Kart 7 - I like Mario Kart, but in retrospect, this is the most forgettable game in the franchise. Easily. It's fun enough, but there's not much to it that isn't done better in other Mario Karts, and I don't think there's a lot of value to it unless you can find out people IRL to play multiplayer with. I can't think of a single reason I'd ever play it again over any other game in the franchise.

6. Bravely Default - I will never understand the appeal of these characters. Ever. I'm almost impressed in a way at how much time they put into dialogue for characters that somehow are less interesting than the characters from any of the type of 90s era JRPG its inspired by. And it's such a shame, as ignoring all the story elements, this is a really great JRPG. But the story is why I like most JRPGs, so...yeah.

7. The entire Super Monkey Ball series after 2. I shouldn't be surprised what happened to the series, but it's still kinda sad. I hope the apparently good Vita game someday gets ported to more successful platforms.

8. Samba De Amigo Wii -

9. Metroid: Other M - This is disappointing on the basis of realizing that I was defending the game from critics, and then realized after playing it they were actually right.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Xyphon22

@Ralizah I'm playing the Katrielle Layton game now. While I knew going in that the style of having different cases was not going to be nearly as compelling as the one big narrative of the previous games, I did not expect the puzzles to be as disappointing as they are. Most of them have simply been trick question riddles as opposed to puzzles. It's still fun, it's just bad that I knew I wouldn't like it as much and it still disappointed on top of that. Although I'm not done yet, so hopefully it will pick up.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

Ralizah

@Xyphon22 The downgraded puzzles are what ruined it for me. Like, I didn't like the story in Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box, but it still had charming characters and great puzzles, so I was OK. These puzzles, though... yeah, they're all very gimmicky. Gotcha riddles. There's way less diversity in puzzle types, too. Especially the downloadable puzzles, which all seem to be variants of the same sort of thing.

Katrielle Layton is OK, but her thirsty assistant is annoying. The dog exists to be sarcastic and nothing else so far. The side characters are less colorful than I'm used to PL characters being as well.

Tyranexx

@Ralizah: In that case, I'll probably still try out Katrielle and the Millionaires' Conspiracy. It'll be some time before I play both that and the prequel trilogy. XD

The first dungeon in Twilight Princess is a bit of a drag, but IMO the game and Hyrule in general open up way more after that "meh" experience. To be honest, I stopped roughly where you have my first time playing the game and didn't get back to it for a few months. That's not to say there aren't other sections of the game that don't get a little bogged down on occasion (There's a dungeon in the later part of the game that I personally dislike the design of that some do like. It houses one of my favorite bosses in the game, however), but there are enough things about it that I love; I can still easily rank the game in my top five Zeldas.

...The problem is, the more Zelda games I play, the more disorganized that top five gets.

Edited on by Tyranexx

Currently playing: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch), Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations (Switch)

20wonders

I don't have too many games that disappointed me. Off the top of my head, I can think of 2 recent examples: Star Fox Zero and Sonic Forces. It's funny because I have a common problem with both of them: the controls are flawed (Star Fox Zero's are somewhat manageable if a bit frustrating at first, Classic Sonic in Forces controls like garbage though) but I wasn't hating either of the games up until the final bosses of each game, which caused me to kill my interest and I ended up selling both of them. Fighting Andross in Star Fox Zero just highlights how messy the controls are as a whole and it's more frustrating because I could have beaten him with ease if traditional controls were an option. Sonic Forces' final boss, however, is downright poorly designed and dishes out some of the worst bullcrap I've played in any game I've played recently. I was fine in the first part of the fight but when it goes to the 3D perspective and I got 75% of his health down, I had to hit the boss in the middle using the homing attack and as soon as I came back down on the platform, the boss crushed the floor from beneath me - not giving me enough time to get out of the way. If that wasn't bad enough, the boss also brought its fist down on a nonexistent platform and when I tried to use the homing attack on the boss, I fell to my death through the aforementioned nonexistent platform and had to start that all over again. I realized at that moment that I was better off just sticking to Sonic Colors, Generations, and Mania if I wanted to play a recent Sonic title.

20wonders

Tyranexx

I'm still not sure if I have all my squirrels in a row for this one, but here's my list. Note that this list isn't necessarily referring to bad games.

• Sonic Advance 3: This probably wasn't a wise pick for a first game in this series, but I borrowed it off of my brother. The game wasn't bad by any means, I just wasn't really blown away by it and didn't find it memorable. I think I had my expectations set higher than they should have since I always had heard good things about the series.
  • Pokemon Battle Revolution: To summarize, this is a better game if you had the Gen IV games, but your options are severely limited otherwise. I was expecting something akin to the Pokemon Stadium games from back in the day.
  • Game & Wario: To be honest to this game, I kind of went in expecting it to be mediocre. There were roughly three minigames that I truly enjoyed, but the rest ranged from meh to disappointing. I agree with some who say that this probably should have been a pack-in title with the Wii U, or at least the minigames should have been made available for individual purchase.
    Pikmin 3: Another game that was overhyped to me. It was by no means bad, but I found the AI of the Pikmin to be somewhat poor and the micromanagement to not at all be to my liking.

LuckyLand

Fragile Dreams.
When I saw trailers and other preview videos/images it reminded me both of Ico and Silent Hill, and I thought it must have been an extremely interesting mix, I felt very intrigued about it and it looked like its style was very fascinating too. I really was looking forward to it and couldn't wait to play it.
Then the game was in fact a poor and unpolished adventure very limited in its scope, with laughable small play areas, unbalanced and tedious (and sparse) fight session, without a style as good and intriguing as it looked in the trailers, but full of stupid nonsense in cutscene and in a bunch of pathetic texts that you had to collect at some point. The game was terrible, and the narrative contents were tedious, boring and pathetic at the same time. I really hate that game.

I used to be a ripple user like you, then I took The Arrow in the knee

Buizel

In recent memory:

Paper Mario: Sticket Star
It's been bashed to death, but quite deservingly so imo. Paper Mario TTYD is one of my favourite games of all time, let alone one of my favourite RPGs, largely due to its comical narrative and enjoyable battle system. Sticker Star is very much a different game - massively cutting down the narrative and RPG elements in favour of puzzle-solving in the form of sticker collecting. The thing that bothered me the most about this is, whereas I enjoyed battles in TTYD, battling in Sticker Star was actually detrimental as it would use up your stickers. The game felt like a chore and I couldn't make it past the first third or so.

Sonic Forces
Being a fan of Sonic Generations, I had high hopes for this one, and unlikely many I wasn't put off by pre-release footage or reveals such as character customisation. In fact, I'd argue that in core concept this isn't a bad Sonic game at all. However I was really disappointed by the execution - somehow Sonic Team managed to make the modern Sonic gameplay feel worse than in Generations, not to mention the short and underwhelming level design. Avatar levels felt like slower, clunkier, and duller, modern Sonic stages, and classic Sonic stages felt pointless after Sonic Mania.

Mario Party 10
Simply very dull. It's missing a lot of the competitive elements that made the N64 and Gamecube titles so fun.

Ralizah wrote:

1/2 Genie Hero is a massive disappointment. It's missing the great level design, large dungeons, and open world of previous games, and instead opts for a shallow, almost arcadey approach to its levels. It's obscenely easy, even in comparison to Risky's Revenge, and the story and character banter have been toned down to the point where it feels like it lost a lot of its personality. This is particularly disappointing considering Shantae and the Pirate's Curse is arguably the best exploratory, Metroidvanian platformer on the 3DS.

I've maybe found the opposite - 1/2 Genie Hero was my first Stantae game and I adored it. Since then I've really struggled to get into other entries in the series. I suppose I just prefer the structure of 1/2 Genie Hero.

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

Bolt_Strike

Pick a main series Pokemon game on the 3DS. Any main series Pokemon game on the 3DS. That entire era of Pokemon has been massively underwhelming. Too little content, regions that have been getting progressively bare and linear, gameplay mechanics getting phased in and out regardless of whether people like them or not, Game Freak's standards have really been slipping recently.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Buizel

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Pick a main series Pokemon game on the 3DS. Any main series Pokemon game on the 3DS. That entire era of Pokemon has been massively underwhelming. Too little content, regions that have been getting progressively bare and linear, gameplay mechanics getting phased in and out regardless of whether people like them or not, Game Freak's standards have really been slipping recently.

I'm not sure about too little content...in what way do they have any less content than previous games?

I am by no means disappointed by these games (in fact, I'd say Pokemon is a series that tends to get better with every installment), but I do agree I am disappointed by the linearity. This got to ridiculous levels in Alola with Pokemon blocking every other path. Although I did like the way this game handled HMs and backtracking.

The more I think about this topic, the more I think of examples from the Sonic series. Usually those that are hyped as being better Sonic games but I am underwhelmed by:

• Sonic Colors. The levels are too short, and I'm not the biggest fan of 2D in the 3D engine. The combination of these makes much of the gameplay feel awkward to me. But most of all, I can't stand the Wisps because of the way that they break the pace of this and other Sonic games.
  • Sonic Rush. Hold dash and right. Either an easy win or a cheap death.

At least 2'8".

Bolt_Strike

Buizel wrote:

I'm not sure about too little content...in what way do they have any less content than previous games?

Mainly in regards to extra content. Every 3DS era game has been fairly minimal in terms of post game and extra features. None of them really had that major extra sidequest feature like Contests or Secret Bases, save for ORAS which only really brought them back because they had to being remakes. None of them had the sprawling mini regions like the Sevii Islands or DPPt's Battle Zone (the place with the Fight Area, Survival Area, Resort Area, etc.). They mainly just had short post game arcs, a couple of small gimmicks that get boring after about 5 minutes, and maybe 1 or 2 new batches of post game Pokemon, that's it. They're a far cry from the likes of Platinum, HGSS, and BW2 where you could keep playing for weeks, maybe even months, after you finished the main storyline.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Krull

I think I've generally pretty good at avoiding costly mistakes, but games that disappointed me? Hmm, Final Fantasy X. Having come off FFVII and FFVIII, I kept waiting for the world to open up, but instead I kept going backwards and forwards along the same paths. It wasn't a total bust - I played through to the end and did ultimately enjoy it - but the feeling of disappointment never really went away. And I've never seen voice acting as a selling point for a video game - I think that mindset began here. I'd throw in FFII as a disappointment too, but that one's on me. If I'd read anything about it in advance of playing it, I'd have been better prepared. That levelling system - ugh!

Aside from that, maybe Ace Attorney: Justice for All. Massive drop in quality from the first game. I gather the third one is far, far better, so I will give the series another try at some point.

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

Ryu_Niiyama

I have issues with sequels that are semi niche for the first game but changed to snag the mainstream gamer.

Mass Effect 2 and 3. I'm one of 3 people that didn't care that it became a waist high cover shooter, I hated the addition of ammo (wait "I mean heat sinks") and the lame lore cover up, the death of the MC and the two year gap was a lazy plot device, most of the new characters were boring (would have rather they expanded on ALL of the original team equally instead), I hated the expansion into the books and comics that controlled new storylines but left you confused if you only played the games (this is a complaint I have with EAware in general), Somebody tell Ali Hillis that she didn't need to try to sound like a chain smoker to show that Liara had "Been through some Sh**"(tm), and Jen Hale, I adore you but you started tying WAY too hard with the flirting dialogue (don't get me started on the relationship dialogue, I just had to not talk to men after a point in my games), I hated the diminishing of the Reapers and the stupid way they tried to put the collectors and Cerberus at the forefront. As a paragon that would punch you in the face if you got on her nerves, I hated that you are beholden to Cerberus in 2 and pretty much a war criminal in 3. Loyalty missions were somewhat juvenile (why do I have to help Jack's unhinged self become slightly less unhinged? Also Miranda and Jack were poorly designed in general) and were somewhat...intrusive considering you are supposed barreling towards the end of the galaxy.

The reaction that folks had to Andromeda... I'd already had to ME 2 and 3. If they had fixed the inventory, found a medium between the combat in 1 and (say Andromeda) and no ammo clips or at least make them side options for faster reloads), focused on the REAPERS and the current squad and focused on the other races homeworlds sooner and kept more of the the storyline in the game and not in comics and books and I might have enjoyed it more.

AC games after III (although I toss AC II at top of that list....as I almost stopped playing the series after that game). People complain about the counter system but had no issues with the cheap way the infamy and detection system worked II on? Also I really don't want to play Assassin Dress up. I don't care about unlocking outfits and dye. Also Ezio is a jerk and unrelatable, Altair while also a jerk was at least a redeemable one. I know I'm one of 3 people that cared about the whole "those that came before and the reason for the templars vs Assassins and your religion isn't real but advanced science by the other race that enslaved and bred humanity" plot so it sucked watching it diminish each game.

Fallout 4. That starting narrative (and the main story) was pretty much offensive to me. I have no issues playing a character with a set narrative, but when you give me a character creation tool and a supposedly open world then the less narrative defining the PC the better for me. I will say as generic as TES openings are that is why I get so immersed in them....I can craft a full character arc using the world as a backdrop.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

kkslider5552000

Ryu_Niiyama wrote:

Mass Effect 2 and 3. I'm one of 3 people that didn't care that it became a waist high cover shooter,.

This is wrong, as Mass Effect 1 was a waist high cover shooter, even if you don't want to admit it. 2 and 3 were just much BETTER waist high cover shooters.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

WarioIsTopTier

When somehow your time off is busier than school

I've a new poll ready to go, but I felt like chipping in on the topic since I missed out last time.

Sonic Forces - I'll get the obvious one out the way first, this was a serious let down for me. I just wanted this to be good, at least decent, something to carry on the hype from Mania but what we got was one of the most stale games I've ever played. The Player Character is fun to create but is rarely any fun to play as, Modern Sonic is passable sometimes and ungodly stiff at other times, and Classic Sonic is the best advertising for Sonic Mania I've ever seen. The only things the game has going for it is a decent soundtrack, good graphics, and Mortar Canyon being a genuinely fun 2 minutes.

Brawlout - While I don't think this game is very good, that's not what I find disappointing about it. What disappoints me is that it was the first 'Smash Clone' to come to Switch, and it's disappointing to me that such a mediocre game is setting the stage. It's games like these that give 'Smash Clones' a bad name, which is especially sad with Rivals of Aether coming to Switch, which gameplay wise is far more unique and good enough to at least be on the same level as Smash.

Yooka-Laylee - While the game certainly plays better since the many updates, it's still a bit fundamentally flawed. Levels are full of empty space, the same characters are kinda copy pasted throughout the game with few new ones to offer, puzzles aren't very fun or interesting, the Rextro minigames are actual garbage and collectables that should be used to guide a player like the quills are placed in the dumbest of spots. I wouldn't call it a bad game, but it can't hold a candle to games like A Hat in Time or Hob which wipe the floor with it on a much lower budget.

Overwatch - Imagine you've made a hugely successful game and you feel the need to push it competitively. There's a few issues though, the game is very unbalanced, confusing to watch, and has a lot of dumb stuff like stun mechanics. You'd probably try to fix those issues, right? Maybe, but Jeff would rather make a million posts on people saying mean things in a video game, make the dumbest new hero ever in Doomfist, ban people for playing bad characters he's too incompetent to balance and do funny ha ha moments like invading streams.

Makes you wonder where those 30 million players went.

Ultra Street Fighter 2 - I like this game, but I can't be the only one slightly regretting purchasing this when the 30th Anniversary Collection was announced. I'm still having fun with it, I'm just a bit saltier when I'm not.

Here's that brand spanking new poll: http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=5a555b3fe4b0149eb2e62f6f

Also while I was gone two of my friends started CS:GO gambling and lost €900 collectively which is cool and good.

WarioIsTopTier

Tyranexx

@BigYellow: Glad to see you again! I was thinking I hadn't seen you in awhile. RL can be fun, eh?

I love the blurb from the new poll:

poll wrote:

Thank you for waiting for the lazy bloke to provide options AGAIN.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.