Forums

Topic: The NintendoLife VGM Tournament: Best City / Urban Theme (Round Two)

Posts 1,401 to 1,420 of 1,556

StarPoint

Wow, I think this is the most unexpected outcome of any VGM tournament I've been a part of so far. Not complaining, though, as these final two songs are both outstanding. But I need to give my vote to Special Blend Mix at the end of the day.

"Science compels us to explode the sun!"

Currently playing:

Persona 5 Royal (PC)
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy (PC)

Dogorilla

As this is the final I thought I'd listen to the original version of Smile so I can compare how good these songs are as remixes as well as in their own right. The Reincarnation version of Smile is maybe not as drastically different to the original music as Special Blend Mix is, but I do think it's a big improvement on the original (which is already good) so my vote goes to Persona this time. I won't be disappointed if the Ace Attorney medley wins though; that one is also an excellent rendition that elevates the AA soundtrack to a new level.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

ThePirateCaptain

It’s finally time to declare a winner. And with a final vote of 7-4 the honor of best remix goes to…

Special Blend Mix from Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations!

As always, thanks to everyone who participated and leave any suggestions for the next tournament theme below. I’ll look back to check what some of the top suggestions were from last time and set up a poll sometime this weekend.

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

TheBigBlue

Congratulations to Ace Attorney for surviving the onslaught of smash brothers songs

Next tourney could be the nominated gaming franchises going head to head (not limited to just Nintendo)

Edited on by TheBigBlue

Wait, why do we need a signature? Eh, I don’t know. Here’s your signature.

Eel

Yay! I’m glad people enjoyed the Special Blend Mix, it’s one of the tracks I actually have on my devices to listen to.

I’ll have to reuse this gif

Eel wrote:

Untitled

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

StarPoint

Awesome! Special Blend Mix is an incredible remix and I'm glad to see it pull through.

"Science compels us to explode the sun!"

Currently playing:

Persona 5 Royal (PC)
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy (PC)

BabyYoda71

Hooray!

Now it’s time for the chaos of deciding the next theme

Heigh Ho Heigh Ho. It’s off to work (from home) I go.

Dogorilla

I remember someone suggesting music to do with birds as a potential theme, I quite like the idea of a more abstract category like that.

Does anyone have a list of the categories we've already done as a reminder? If not I'll do it later. Would be interesting to see the winners all together as well.

Funky Kong

Eel

Ah a hall of fame would certainly be cool to see. The thread is so long though.

I believe the bird music suggestion was mine

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

BabyYoda71

The themes we were voting on last time were:

Credit Themes
Past vs. Future
Valentine’s / Love Themes
City Themes
Rhythm Game Themes
Remixes (Unofficial)

I don’t think any of us would want to do another remix tournament right now though, so you could replace that one with Birds

Dogorilla

I hadn't realised quite how many tournaments we'd done! But here they all are:

Title Themes (Winner: Title Theme - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time)

RPG Battle Themes (Winner: The Last Campaign - Etrian Odyssey III)

Lava/Fire Themes (Winner: Scorch 'N' Torch - Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze)

Diegetic Music (Winner: Build That Wall - Bastion)

Map/Level Select (Winner: Character Select - Street Fighter: 3rd Strike)

Snow/Winter Themes (Winner: Mountaintop Secrets - Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam)

Temple/Ruins Themes (Winner: tie between Chozo Ruins from Metroid Prime and Sog-Gee's Realm from Snake Pass)

Summer/Beach Themes (Winner: Galdin Quay - Final Fantasy XV)

Boss Battle Themes (Winner: The End of Raging Winds - Etrian Odyssey IV)

Character Themes (Winner: Rose of May - Final Fantasy IX)

Final Boss Themes (Winner: One-Winged Angel - Final Fantasy VII)

Official Remixes (Winner: Special Blend Mix - Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations)

Edited on by Dogorilla

Funky Kong

Dogorilla

BabyYoda71 wrote:

Past vs. Future

I don't know if it's what the person who suggested this had in mind, but it would be interesting if every matchup was a track associated with the past versus a future-related one.

Funky Kong

TheBigBlue

I wonder if a franchise song tournament is possible. One song per (the entire) franchise is nominated, for example, the one song from Mario Kart could be Waluigi Pinball’s theme or something like that. I have a few ideas myself. If a really good song for a specific franchise is chosen, it could help said franchise win the tournament

Edited on by TheBigBlue

ThePirateCaptain

@Dogorilla
Thanks for taking the time to make that list. I was planning to do it myself before the next tournament. I’ll update the first post in the thread with all the themes and winners so people can reference it more easily.

ThePirateCaptain

Anti-Matter

@ThePirateCaptain
I would like to see Rhythm games theme for the next competition.
I hate to lose.
I'm very competitive here and I have tons of BEMANI games musics selection for the candidates.
I really want at least one of my BEMANI games song choice win the competition.

Anti-Matter

BabyYoda71

@Anti-Matter You didn’t lose any of the tournaments. None of us lost, and none of us won, because we merely nominated songs. The tournament is based on the songs, not the people who nominated them. Most of use voted against our nominated songs within the first few rounds, because we’re supposed to listen to the two songs and decide which one we like better. Our collective goal is to vote for a song we all agree is amazing, not to decide which of the people in the thread is a winner and which is a loser.

ThePirateCaptain

Alright here is the poll to vote for the next theme. Choose your top 3 options and we’ll go from there. I’d like to only leave this poll up a couple days as it shouldn’t take too long for everyone to get their votes in, but I’ll give a heads-up when it looks like most people have completed it.

ThePirateCaptain

TheBigBlue

If it’s the credits theme, I have dibs on the Portal 2 credits song

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic