Forums

Topic: The Dungeon and Dragons Thread

Posts 181 to 200 of 642

Tasuki

@Tyranexx Yeah Uthodurn is a Dualarchey meaning it has two rulers. About 300 years ago the elven city had a mysterious blight appear a type of miasma that began spreading across the city killing anyone it touched. Long story short the elves fled their city and went to the Dwarves asking for assistance. Upon hearing the tale the Dwarven Queen welcomed the elves into their city since they didn't have anywhere else to go. Over time, the Dwarves and elves started to fight due to over crowding. The Queen of the Dwarves and King of elves decided then to rule Uthodurn together and soon peace came over the city once again.

As for the Shadow Realm, I don't know what the one in Yu-Gi-Oh looked like as I never seen it. But the characters really didn't see much, they pretty much passed through it and was there for maybe 1 minute.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Tyranexx

@Themagusx1 We've taken longer breaks, usually due to schedule conflicts. Our current DM also had to take a break for a couple of months since he's gradually working on a college degree. Haven't heard anything about this coming weekend; if we do play, it'll have to be on Sunday since I have an obligation late Saturday afternoon/early evening. There have been a couple of curve balls, mainly due to a couple of player decisions and one insta player kill (Tiefling rogue, replaced by our current half elf bard) per the campaign book the DM is following. I think he genuinely felt bad about it.

@Tasuki Interesting backstory regarding Uthodurn. I'm not the most familiar with Elvish and Dwarven lore in D&D, but they don't usually get along very well in many fantasy settings I've looked into. Namely thanks to precedents set in Tolkien's works. Sounds like the queen and king had decent hearts at least.

Ah, so temporary plane traversal then. Quite speedy too, so it makes sense they wouldn't glimpse much.

Currently playing: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch), Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trials and Tribulations (Switch/AAT)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Tasuki

@Tyranexx That's odd almost all fantasy setting I know of they do get along. I will admit, most fantasy series I know off are older ones so if that's a thing with newer fantasy series, then I wouldn't know.

As for Wildemount though, alot of stereotypes that you think come with a fantasy setting are different. Like it's is possible to play a Goblin as a PC and go adventuring with Human's Dwarves etc. !!!

My Backlog

Tyranexx

@Tasuki Maybe "get along" wasn't the best choice of words. They can. More like there's usually some thorny history in there somewhere where they more often than not don't really trust members of the other race.

Wildemount does sound like a fun setting. Some historically evil-aligned races are playable in 5e it seems. Yuan-Ti Pure bloods and full Orcs, for example. There is an interesting dynamic in our party between our Kobold warlock PC and a Gnome NPC with some arcane trickster rogue traits.

Currently playing: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch), Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trials and Tribulations (Switch/AAT)

Tyranexx

@Themagusx1 The dead character wasn't found until the next morning - assassinated - so there was no saving her. Earlier in the campaign, we were employed as guards in a merchant caravan that included a cultist wagon (None of our employers were members thankfully). The rogue took an interest in some of the treasures they were transporting when some of them fell out of their wagon. She went to "help". The book apparently said if any characters took an interest in the loot that they'd die.

Themagusx1

@Tyranexx oh damn cause of the loot she died. Your campaign sounds like it has a lot of twists and turns. Are you guys playing this weekend?

Themagusx1

Tyranexx

@Themagusx1 We had an 11th hour D&D session, though we only managed to play about two hours before one of the players had to leave for a bit to help attend to a family matter. We spent the rest of the evening playing an improv session using premade characters. I picked the Gnome alchemist/inventor type. We were essentially fighting off waves of undead. Our group apparently didn't pick the best place to stop for the night.

In the main campaign, our party decided to go through the portal; thankfully, our sorcerer took Teleportation Circle as a new spell when we leveled up last session as a precaution. We can easily backtrack to the swamp if we need to. We ended up in a place high in the mountains, surrounded by pine trees, some wind, and glimpses of snow in the distance. We ended up near a lodge of sorts, so we decided to head there to get some information on our new environs. There were also two other teleportation circles at a distance, surrounded by two old stones each with runes denoting their destinations. There was evidence of a lot of foot traffic from these locations. The cult may use them for moving treasure, but the portals were clearly much older than their involvement.

Long story short after some pseudo-convincing deception checks by group members with higher charisma, we were allowed an audience with the owner of the lodge. Unfortunately, I can't recall her name, only that she's a half-elf who was formerly a white Wyrmspeaker. Uh-oh. The DM rolled very high, so she wasn't fooled by our group; she'd seen Rezmir flee through the portal in a hurry.

Turns out that she's happy to turn a blind eye to our involvement IF we make Rezmir look bad by tampering with the latest treasure shipment. Apparently this half-elf wants her Wyrmspeaker job back and wants Rezmir deposed. There's a town about half a day's journey down the mountains called Pargast where the shipment will be picked up by a floating castle (Studio Ghibli anyone?). Seeing no other recourse, our group decided to go along with this plan for now since these actions will mutually benefit both parties.

We ended the session investigating the disused armory with permission. We were also given lodging for the night but were strongly advised not to wander around. Apparently, there are a few troll guards around the grounds....

Themagusx1

@Tyranexx that was a lot for two hours. And a lot of interesting things such as the floating castle. And the town had troll guards? That’s quite the situation….do you think you will be invading the floating castle, or sticking with the shipment?

Themagusx1

Tyranexx

@Themagusx1 Mostly roleplaying; we didn't get into combat. Fine by me since the last few sessions were relatively combat dense lol. The privately owned tavern had troll guards, actually; we haven't made it to the town yet. I'm not sure how we'll proceed, but I sorta hope we'll just stick with what we need to do with the shipment. My character isn't thrilled with this situation lol.

I should've figured things like floating castles are in D&D. The description gave me Howl's Moving Castle vibes!

Tasuki

@Tyranexx Sorry for the late reply. I have been following what has been going on in your campaign sounds, like you guys are having a great time.

My group has managed to get together the last few weeks. However the last 2 weeks were RPG heavy. Mainly repurchasing things used from the last adventure, rations and such selling off items not needed and buying horses for the groups trip to Uthodurn.

Last night Midway through their travels the group came across a wayside tavern while they traveled to Uthodurn. The decided to stop for the night but quickly found out that it was a trap set for them by the main villain of this part of the campaign. The villain ended up turning the inn keeper and his wife into demonic ghouls which attacked the party. The ghouls managed to drop the fighter down to 1 HP with a crit attack but the rest of the group was ready for them and with a modest amount of difficulty defeated the ghouls. Once defeated the group had a small funeral for the innkeepers and decided to stay the night at the inn.

My Backlog

Tyranexx

@Tasuki No prob! Actually, in hindsight I owe you an apology. I shouldn't have tagged you like I did since it seems attention seeking. That wasn't my goal; I just didn't want you to be lost when I next update. I occasionally miss some material nested in other replies in different threads due to how fast they can move.

RPG-heavy sessions can be pretty fun. How long are your sessions on average? That ghoul ambush sounds quite tragic; do we know yet what the motives for this villain are? At least your group laid the two to rest properly.

Tasuki

@Tyranexx I don't minded being tagged sometimes I check a thread unless I am tagged in it lol. I read them even if I don't have time to responded.

My sessions last anywhere from about 3 to 4 hours with about a 5 minute break in between. They have an idea what the villain's motive is but aren't 100% sure. They haven't even truly meat the villian face to face yet, but that's coming soon.

My Backlog

Tyranexx

@Tasuki Hah, fair enough. I've been gradually paring my site activity back a bit, so I do miss things on the forums on occasion. (Especially with how fast the Chit Chat Thread moves lately....

3-4 hours is a pretty good span per session. Ours typically last anywhere from 4-6 hours. Usually there's an eating break and an occasional jaunt to the bathroom when someone's turn isn't up or something lol. I'm curious to learn more about this villain....I suppose I (and the players) will learn more about them soon enough.

Edited on by Tyranexx

Themagusx1

@Tyranexx Those sessions where you just roleplay are the best. I think they are. Will you guys be playing this weekend?

Themagusx1

Tyranexx

@Themagusx1 We're trying to set up a session. Saturday is more convenient for me, but a couple of players can't make it that day. It's looking like a Sunday session for now, though I'll have to bow out early since I have an early morning Monday. My mom is getting a knee replacement done bright and early, so my dad and I are gonna be around to listen to doctors (Dad doesn't have the best hearing) and help if needed.

Tasuki

@Tyranexx Yeah we just take a break just enough to use the restroom, and grab a drink or two. Usually everyone eats before hand as we usually start around 730ish.

No game for us this week as people are going to be busy getting ready for the holiday, which is understandable. Hopefully next week we will resume.

My Backlog

Tyranexx

@Tasuki We usually have a mid to late afternoon start, so there's usually some snack food. Occasionally we'll order some pizza from a nearby local joint if anyone is up for it. I usually try to bring something to help supplement the food offerings. Two of the players usually host it at their place since they're the most central location.

It's extremely unlikely we'd be able to set up a session for next weekend due to the holiday, so I'm glad we're trying for one this weekend.

Themagusx1

@Tyranexx I hope your moms surgery went well! I get ya about the scheduling and what not. Do you guys think you will play this weekend or no cause of the Holiday?

Themagusx1

Tasuki

@Tyranexx I am not sure if we will play this weekend, but we did manage to play this last Monday night. Everyone happened to have it free. A couple of my players who usually do it in person had to do it over discord because they were out of town but we all had fun overall.

The group is now level 3 and arrived safely in Uthodurn. They have some leads they want to follow up on and see where to go to from there. We might try to play this Sunday but not 100% sure with the holiday if anything it will be over discord again.

My Backlog

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic