Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 63,121 to 63,140 of 96,542

Kermit1doesmath

My life right now is watching The Office and playing AC:NH. I'd have it no other way.

dysgraphia awareness human

Tyranexx

Wow, more responses for the mini-vent from last time than I was expecting. For a bit of context, I was referring to segments of the Harry Potter fandom.

@Kermit1 I can only imagine/am familiar with the two "Star" varieties you mentioned, but what's this about Chronicles of Narnia? Who's ruining one of my favorite book series growing up?

Edit: I see Rambler had the same inquiry.

@Sunsy I can't say I've heard of Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir before looking it up just now, but I think I have some pretty good ideas of where the fandom went there. And those certain parts of the Sonic fandom...We don't talk about that. XD

@MarioLover92 I think I do recall rumblings of Toonami shutting down. Not sure how long ago that was though. I think just about everyone goes through a "cool" phase during their teenage years, though I don't think many viewed anime as "cool" where I grew up unfortunately (Obviously, I highly disagree!). Older/classic Simpsons is really good, though I do agree the show has slid in quality over time. I especially enjoy some of the older Treehouse of Horror segments. What I've seen of Futurama is good too. The only full South Park episode I watched - something about an internet shortage and everyone needing to go to California where they were rationing internet, or something like that - made me lose brain cells. Any clips I've seen since weren't much of an improvement.

Currently playing: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch), Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Fizza

TheJGG wrote:

I'm slowly coming to terms with the possibility I may be a little too addicted to video game music.

I came to terms with that fact a LOOOOOOOOOONG time ago personally. I think I prefer it to 'regular' music mostly because they do a much better job at conveying different emotions. Modern music to me leans far too much towards the theme of 'love' which, whilst not necessarily bad, makes everything blend together for me (I couldn't tell you the difference between a Justin Bieber or Billie Eilish if I tried). Video game music on the other goes in all sorts of directions, trying to fit the area, mood, point in time and so much more. CASE IN BLOODY POINT:

I guarantee you would never hear a song like this outside of either a game or movie (and AA's kinda both) since it's just so booming and triumphant that it wouldn't appeal to the 'general public'. So, how does it fare with that kind of stigma surrounding it? It and it's ilk are some of the most iconic songs of all time. Don't need much more proof than that, do you?

In short: video game music is great and I wish more people realised it.

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Extreme-G (N64)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

Snatcher

@NeonPizza I never played it myself, only watched it. So I can’t speak for the problems it had. Concept wise, I think they did a pretty good job.

I can’t wait for killer clowns, I just hope they don’t mess it up.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

Eel

In an extremely unusual turn of events, we’re going to Disneyland this October. Last time we went, my niece was a literal baby, now she’s almost five, with a 2 year old brother.

I think the experience is gonna be really different with two children (old enough to actually notice they’re in the park) in the group!

I already made a reservation for the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique for her! Myself, I’ll try to finally get on the Matterhorn Bobsleds this time…

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

jedgamesguy

@Kermit1 @Fizza @Snatcher @Anti-Matter

There’s more traditional intent behind my admittance of severe addiction to video games. I decided to start another video script… on the soundtrack to Xenoblade 3 because of how far down the rabbit hole I’ve fallen. It’s a regular thing now… but I have some music expertise after years of making covers, so I figured why not write about music too? Script’s sitting at 1750 words after an hour of writing (plus copying some posts I already made about it)… I’m excited for this one the most.

I’m gonna embrace the whole thing, good and bad. @Fizza in particular I like what you said, because I wrote virtually the same thing in my script. I prefer game music over traditional music because of the emotion and power they wield, and sometimes abuse! Plus there’s not much music out there that can really get me headbanging that isn’t game music (most “real” examples I’d give are by Queen!!), or even tear up. Because game music is played to a visual or a cutscen, or a fight. So there’s more layers of emotion and context from each song. Which means game music has to be written more intelligently than a typical pop song. Not that all pop is nothing like game music though.

@Kermit1 @Snatcher I dont know if I can give you ten, let alone rank them. I’ll try to make things as objective as I can. But bias is inevitable honestly. So this isn’t a top 10 but rather a best 10 in no order. It won’t be done at first but come back to the post and it’ll update.

1. Champion’s Road (SM3DW). Didn’t like Gusty Garden all that much but 3D World’s unique sound design makes this one good.
2. Engage the Enemy (Xenoblade). Such an emotional song with lots of emotional peaks. The guitar and piano work is so good.
3. Rainbow Road N64 (MK8). Really triumphant and coupled with the visuals is just something else.
4. Chapter 7 music (Celeste). Brings back all the themes from other levels to make this super-medley to push you to the top of the mountain.
5. Song of the Ancients, both Devola and Popola (NieR). I’ve heard them from both games but I like the Replicant ones more, Popola’s especially has this beautiful, ethereal quality. It get’s little sad when you listen to it more.
6. The Weight of Life (Xenoblade 3). It has melodies from both 1 and 2, what more can you ask? It’s a little quiet sometimes but it’s just so powerful.
7. SMT V battle theme. Jeez this was good. It conveys the game perfectly, madness, over the top, and a touch of godliness, thanks to the Nahobino synths.

As for Qumu covers… they’re fiiiiine. They’re perfectly fine and nothing more. They have the same style and it doesn’t feel like they try anything new nowadays.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

Kermit1doesmath

@TheJGG I know quite a few other cover-ers-remixers better than Qumu, they have become very "formulaic".

Kermit1doesmath

@NeonPizza forums in general have kinda died off (or are really one sided places). Twitter is where it's at nowadays sadly. This site is one of the few sites to have a really good heathy forum for a really long time.

Anti-Matter

I had my dinner with stir fry edamame beans and rice. I finished with some slices of apples.
Also, I keep hoping my games order will be arrived soon.

Anti-Matter

WoomyNNYes

@NeonPizza I think it's safe to say there's less forum traffic on NL because we're late in the Switch cycle, and Nintendo's hype train of regular Directs has slowed, granted the pademic and game deveopment delays may also have put it's thumb on the scale. BOTW 2 pushed back. Splatoon 3 was delayed a couple months, Metroid Prime 4 has ghosted to restart developent. Nintendolife was pretty busy for the beginning of the Switch cycle with a whole fresh batch of AAA Nintendo titles. I think NL forums would likely get more activity with the next console, new Mario Kart (FINALLY), a new 3D Mario, etc.

Or, another factor, every popular internet platform has a booming honeymoon period at the beginning, where eveyone is new, it's a shiney new site, there's lost of fresh positive energy. But over time the honeymoon period fades. It seems unavoidable. Some people leave. Shadier people settle in. I've never seen any internet platform hold onto the honeymoon period indefinitely. Although, I think new console generations and new games may help bolster nintendolife. I'm actually kind of impressed with how well nintnedolife has been doing this far along in it's life. I think nintendolife may be doing respectably well over the long term. I think some some credit may be due to antdickens staying with the site, rather than selling out, or outright selling NL & hookshot for a big chunk of cash, which would likely lead to a more exploitative ownership taking over and selling out the site more-so.

(I think Alex O staying with the site has helped, being the likeable face & voice of the site we still see for some reviews/videos.) (Also think Eel, Joeynator3000, Octane do a decent job of keeping a decent vibe in here.)

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

MarioVillager92

@Eel You're going to Disneyland this October?! I'm jealous! With that said though, have fun!

@Sunsy A Sonic themed Splatfest would be cool to see. That's cool you got those two characters. I didn't have too much exposure to TMNT, besides the 2003 series and the first arcade game that my local arcade had.

@Tyranexx I think most others weren't too big into anime at my school, just a couple of my friends were into it. One of those friends mentioned Trigun, which I actually didn't see until many years later when it was on Hulu. It's been a long time since I've seen Simpsons, and I don't recall seeing any of the newer episodes. Ah man, I remember South Park's internet episode. I'm gonna shorten it, and a good chunk of it was...unpleasant.

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

Eel

@MarioLover92 thanks! it’s gonna be interesting seeing the Halloween overlay! And perhaps I’ll see a few villains roaming around, so I’ll definitely need a new autograph book.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic