Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 27,401 to 27,420 of 96,542

HobbitGamer

Twelve! Twelve smiley tongues! Ah ah ah!

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Eel

I always assumed the "you need to be able read to play this game" warnings were for people buying games for their kids or something. You know those kid friendly m rated games.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

ThanosReXXX

@Morpheel The thing was that the box said NO reading required, so it's the other way around.
Yet, on the same box, it features several warnings, so I hope any buyers did read those...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Between your severe audio-related OCD and now your inability to learn French, a language which in many ways relates to English, I'm not even remotely aware of what to make of you anymore...

Japanese being easier, HA! No language that has well over 3000 characters, not to mention all kinds of weird subsets, could be easier than any language based upon an alphabet containing anywhere between 26 and 34 letters.

The only exception would probably be Cyrillic script, but once you know what the letters stand for, it is at least pronounceable, and considering the number of characters, still a hell of a whole lot easier than any Asian language.

A good friend of mine lives in Myanmar nowadays, and even though he's picked up a few phrases and has memorized some simple words and sentences, both in speech and in writing, he's still a long way off from mastering the language as a whole.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

HobbitGamer

Morpheel wrote:

I always assumed the "you need to be able read to play this game" warnings were for people buying games for their kids or something. You know those kid friendly m rated games.

I figured this. Just like how ATMs have braile, or drive thrus offer braile and 'picture' menus.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Eel

Funny how most ATMs here have changed to touch screen interfaces.

And they're like the most imprecise touch screens ever.

Guess blind people now really need to bring someone to help them, there's no memorizing those steps.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX LOL. Hey audio OCD is a thing!

Languages...I dunno, in some ways I think it's more because of the dissimilarity you can start with a fresh mindset with Asian languages, whereas European languages, you tend to revert to your familiar thinking which messes up your ability to understand the differences. Plus I've had more overall exposure to Japanese over the years than French (unless you count my horrendous, sexist (she may not have noticed she had male students, or simply didn't care....,) unskilled high school French teacher that was notorious for nobody learning anything in her class. Very nice lady....just....not actually a good teacher.))

Yeah memorizing a bazillion characters and the dozen different readings ain't fun. And I suck, badly, at rote memorization...always have. I wouldn't be able to write it, by hand...basically ever. And Chinese has no interest to me (those tonals.....those wretched tonals.....I will never have any ability to pronounce anything in that dreadful language )

If you prefer alphabets, there's always Korean. Same Yoda grammar as Japanese, but with an alphabet...well...and it hasn't got THAT much Chinese characters in it....

I can relate to the Japanese writing system. They are naturally hoarders. China replaced every iteration of their writing with the new version every dynasty or two. Japan just collected all the editions and stacked them on top of each other. My brain works that way! Discard nothing! Gotta' catch 'em all etc.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Morpheel They have a headphone jack to plug in and get verbal instructions. Which still makes no sense.

NEStalgia

Daloblast

I can see that some very interesting things have happened. Plus, I hate ATM touch screens, its also like that Coke machine where you choose your soda too.

Daloblast

My Nintendo: Daloblast

HobbitGamer

Nothing I love more than touching public display screens. It’s like an immunization shot for free. Once you get dysentery, most common Iillnesses are child’s play. Lick the ATM for good measure.

#MudStrongs

HobbitGamer

I lick those too

#MudStrongs

NintendoByNature

Arcade button licking is always good fun too, you might even get a taste of some pineapple pizza too if you lick the right joy stick!

NintendoByNature

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia I guess that's kind of a decent enough explanation. Sometimes it's hard to relate for me to my own roots, and to not forget that even though American schools also teach foreign languages, it's never as many as in a lot of Western European countries. Over here, I always had at least three languages when I was in college, and there was also an option to get the "language package", which added two or even three more.

Needless to say, all of them obviously languages based on the standard alphabet.

Besides that, I have a knack for learning languages, so picking them up in any kind of capacity comes rather naturally to me. But although I'm pretty sure I'd ultimately also be able to get to grips with Asian languages,
I definitely do believe that it's going to be so much harder to learn those.

And not just because of the ridiculous number of characters...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

ThanosReXXX

@AlohaPizzaJack Please tell me you're not one of those idiots who think that putting their tongue on a frozen lamp post is a fun idea...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Back here, well, back in my day anyway, who knows what they do now, but back then, they had the usual Western European languages offered (FR, IT, SP, Scottish (j/k), DE, Latin.) 2 years of 1 langauge was required, and that was it. Focused basically on tourist type situations. They also had Japanese, and were pushing it hard since it was newly introduced, but I unfortunately took FR instead. Japanese seemed too impossible and I wasn't particularly interested in Japan at the time. And the teachers were generally "fluff course" teachers. The idea of 3 languages seems outrageous here. Not even 1 is taken seriously (or was at the time.) It was about "enrichment" more than actually learning the language (a.k.a. wasting taxpayer money on things that sound culturally diversifying but accomplishing little of merit.) OTOH very few people are true polyglots. The 5 pack of languages seems....extreme...and impractical to actually learn any of them. Learning one thoroughly is a huge undertaking.

Then again, what is the official new rating to get to JNLP1....22 years of experience or something like that? I'd be on my deathbed by the time I'd be accepted as viable.

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Well, to add to what I said earlier, the mistake I sometimes make when comparing US schooling and EU schooling, or rather: Dutch schooling, is that I figured that since there's also plenty of Spanish speaking territories in the States, and a couple of French ones as well, it wouldn't be all that weird to at least have the option to learn those two additional languages.

One big difference though, is that US residents obviously already speak English, a language that's already internationally-focused straight out of the box. Dutch obviously isn't, unless you're only going to have to deal with Belgians and South Africans...

So, that's probably how the language package has come into existence over here: it's a small country, and a lot of Dutch people travel and/or work abroad, so already having some languages under your belt, is a pretty good start for being able to get around in Europe, and some other countries outside of the European continent.

The base package consists of the native tongue, Dutch, so mostly grammar and so on, and then English as primary foreign language, and German as second. French is third, Spanish fourth, there's also courses in Latin, or dead language courses, as we call 'em over here, for all those who want to get into science or medical studies, and then there's additional languages such as Portuguese.

Wouldn't even surprise me if modern day Dutch schools actually did offer Japanese language courses, but never mandatory, unless of course your education is heading in a certain kind of direction.

As for you not having had any interest in it back in the day: wasn't anime already a thing in the States in those days, or was that a bit later? Would have been the only excuse I would have needed to dive into a Japanese language course...

Would have finally given me a conclusive answer on how close these fan subs really are, to the actual meaning of the words as intended by the makers of the anime series and movies that I used to watch.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Yeah, I'd say the Spanish programs are probably the strongest....to a point....but of course there's the other problem. A lot of the Spanish teachers are native Spanish teachers, but from countries other than Spain....which don't really speak "proper" Spanish, but the curriculum is "proper" Spanish. It's like learning textbook English from a Welsh teacher.

Or, as a Venezuelan friend of mine once said (yeah, Venezuela....from before the darkest days...though things were getting bad back home then as well.... ) "Mexican Spanish isn't Spanish." @Morpheel

But sure, the option for those languages and others exists (usually no Dutch. Plenty of Deutch though. ) It's just that they don't actually teach languages, they just teach playing at languages. If they dropped graduates off in any of said countries they'd be helpless newborns. (Maybe it's different today, I don't know...we're going back to the 80's & 90's here. )

I always thought it would be fun to be fluent in Latin. IANAL and all that. Just fun to be natively fluent in a language that's been dead for 2000 years.

But don't worry. Soon, Mandarin will be mandatory for everyone worldwide! Then you'll get to learn all those symbols you were avoiding from Japanese. Except Japan uses only 5000 or so of them, not the full 20000+ Mandarin does. Of course even most of China doesn't natively speak Mandarin......"One China" my rear .

Yeah anime was just starting to become a thing back then. It was pretty fringe. Very eccentric. But it was a thing. But I wasn't actually interested in anime. I'm still not. That's the funny thing. If you tell people you have an interest in Japan it's assumed you love anime and are a total weeb. I don't even really like anime. I can appreciate it particularly in games, but beyond that I don't go out of my way for it. It's actual real-world Japan, and the general social behavior there that speaks to me. I like kawaii culture as much as anyone, but I'm not an anime fan per-se. I don't hate it, I'm just ambivalent about it. Though when they were offering language courses I wasn't even aware anime existed. Japan=Nintendo/Sega/Konami/Square/Ninjas to me back then ...but I wasn't familiar with much else.

NEStalgia

Eel

Don't worry, every Spanish talking country hates every other Spanish talking country.

It's like that scene with groundskeeper Willie in the Simpsons, but with language.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic