Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 27,421 to 27,440 of 96,537

HobbitGamer

@ThanosReXXX Heck no! Flag pole ice has no taste.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia If you think being taught English by a Welshman is funny, how about being an American kid in a Dutch school, speaking fluent American English, having to learn "proper" English, with the "right" accent from Dutch teachers speaking English?

Although to be honest, most English teachers over here do speak fluent English, British accent included, so they aren't really bad or anything. It was just a chore having to almost contort my mouth in order to lose my American/Californian accent, and so was trying to stay focused on lessons in which I already knew most of the words, so I was always far ahead of the other kids. Never studied for any test or exam either, just did them by heart, never scored lower than a B+.

As for anime: not that I was ever a hardcore fan, but I certainly liked it, and still do, although I don't collect it anymore, like I used to. Never did any weird stuff like cosplay, though. Nor have I ever bought statuettes or whatever. Just video tapes and later of course DVD's. What I appreciate about anime, is that it consists of such a wide scale of topics. Far more than any Western type of animation, and you actually do find a whole lot of real life themes in them, next to all the sci-fi, horror and more adult-themed animes.

And the artwork is also far above anything that Western studios put out. Where in the West only the biggest animated movies show real effort put into them, in the East, even some of the shortest series look like little artworks in and of themselves. So, for me, sometimes it's just about appreciating the artwork, and the story is then a bonus.

Just take a look at this one, for example:

I know people all have their own tastes and all that, but how could anyone not find this an almost exquisite piece of animation? Even if a certain type of media doesn't interest someone personally, an objective person should still be able to appreciate the artistry that went into making it look like that. And the music is almost always pretty good as well in anime features.

Story's pretty damn impressive as well. Might even make the more sensitive people among us shed a tear or two...

And another one that's in my all time favorites is Princess Mononoke.
Pretty much a must-watch, even for people that don't specifically like and/or collect anime, but do appreciate a good movie with top notch animation. And although it's fantasy, it's actually based upon ancient Japanese folklore and myth.

@AlohaPizzaJack Let me guess: you were drunk, or at the very least slightly inebriated, and someone challenged you, or you and your friends just wanted to make a funny video...
Hope somebody had a bottle of water on them, to release you from your frosty predicament...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Eel

I fell into the Wish trap and made an account. Spent 11 dollars on a wrist watch and two caps. Let’s see how it goes...

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Anti-Matter

Have someone ever study Indonesian language ?
Well, the language of my country. 😉
And whenever you play Super Mario Odyssey on Lost Kingdom, the music there is represent Indonesia from Gamelan and Javanese flute you heard.

Anti-Matter

Tyranexx

Ugh....Public touch screens.

I can definitely appreciate how difficult it is to learn another language, even one that has similar roots to your own. I need to brush up on my German again; it's been awhile since high school and I've lost a lot of what I don't use. I still recall the meanings of a lot of words and was surprised how much I could understand a game trailer I watched in German awhile back, but my sentence composition has definitely suffered.

And that's not including the fact that I wanna learn to at least read and understand Japanese, plus obtain at least a bit of a grasp on Spanish lol. Unfortunately I find more than enough to occupy my free time already. I've looked into Spanish audiobooks on Spotify, but from what I can tell they can't be listened to offline.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Tyranexx

Knew the first two, got the gist of the second (but important!) phrase. I've picked up a few bits and pieces of Spanish over time from printed words and TV shows as a kid (thanks Sesame Street), but I'm in no way fluent. XD

I sometimes wish I'd grown up in a multilingual house; I think learning a language is easiest when you're exposed to it early and often.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

Eel

You would probably have two funny accents instead of just one nice one.

Haha something interesting I’ve noticed growing up visiting my family in the US every year, is that the kids will often vehemently refuse to speak any single word in Spanish until they’re like 10 years old. They clearly understand it, but you can’t really make them speak it for some reason

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

GeoChrome

Computer Science counts as a language at the high school I’m going to, so I’m not too worried about that requirement. Granted, I’ve already taken both Spanish 1 and 2 (2 classes of the same language are required), but it helps to diversify.

Edited on by GeoChrome

Reading: Too much
Watching: Not enough
Playing: SMTV

Switch Friend Code: SW-6148-2681-7704

Heavyarms55

@NEStalgia Naw, just unusual.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

Tyranexx

GyroZeppeli wrote:

Computer Science counts as a language at the high school I’m going to, so I’m not too worried about that requirement. Granted, I’ve already taken both Spanish 1 and 2 (2 classes of the same language are required), but it helps to diversify.

Heh, this is ironically part of my problem. I sling code at my job full-time, then try to devote what little brain power I have left on some weekends to try and learn a different code set compared to what I do at work. That often leaves little room for much other learning. That's why I've started looking at audiobooks to learn a language; that way I can just listen on repeat and give my eyes a break once in a while.

HobbitGamer

@ThanosReXXX I was a first grader, and didn’t know yet. But I just barely made contact haha.

Comp languages count now? I ended up taking Spanish 1-4 in high school and 1-3 in college. It was just fun at that point, I had great teachers that really engaged students.

Don’t forget “Donde esta tu identificacion”
I tell my Chihuahua that a lot when he starts doing something he shouldn’t.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Eel

Oh of course, they release a new iPad mini less than a year after I give up and buy the last model.

Now now, don’t worry little iPad, I won’t be replacing you so soon. I think we can wait for the next one.

Bloop.

ThanosReXXX

Morpheel wrote:

I can teach you the basics:

Si = yes

No = no

Donde está el baño = where’s the bathroom

You forgot about these two:

Una cerveza mas, señor

La quenta por favor

@AlohaPizzaJack Ah... the young and the restless. Or rather: the young and the idiotic...

Remember kids: even barely making contact is enough to transfer a disease or to cause a (potentially) deadly accident, so in dangerous or questionable situations, there is no such thing as barely...
(sits back, arms folded across his chest, looking all old and wise, and smug... )

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Daloblast

Creerse la última coca-cola en el desierto
Dame pan y dime tonto

Just found those row quick

Daloblast

My Nintendo: Daloblast

ThanosReXXX

@Daloblast I think you're missing the point of teaching people 'the basics'...

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic