Forums

Topic: The Book Thread

Posts 101 to 120 of 162

Ravage

Adam wrote:

Oh yes, it is a very interesting book. I'm glad I stuck with it. I especially like those mini-Sherlock Holmes moments Silk and Severian have where they just lay down the truth like it's nobody's business, and I never ever see it coming.

It's odd that he mentions Horn and Feather a good bit, but they don't really appear much, at least so far. I've heard he's the narrator of Short Sun, so I'm looking forward to that. I hear a lot of people say the first book of Short Sun is his best. If it can top anything from New Sun, I will be astounded.

I'm actually not much of a fantasy fan, but it's got your recommendation and Gene Wolfe's name on it, so I'll probably give Wizard Knight a shot eventually.

I've got his Latro in the Mist series to read after. Have you read / heard of those? For anyone reading who hasn't, behold the most amazing concept for a book ever conceived: A Roman soldier loses his memory every morning due to a head injury, so he has to write down in his diary the day's events in each chapter, though sometimes he misses days and so do we. On top of this, he has developed the ability to see and speak to gods, ghosts, and creatures of myth and has no idea this is unusual.

I only have the first Short Sun book so far. I have Soldier of Sidon, which I believe is the last (or most recent) entry in his Latro in the Mist series. I am quite excited to read those books; combines history with fiction and has a most beautiful concept behind it. I was thinking of reading Fifth Head of the Cerberus after the Long Sun though.

SuperMarioFan96 wrote:

Is it bad that I absolutely hated The Odyssey? I understand that it's a "classic" (whatever that means) and all but just.... ugh. I had to read it for school by the way. We're reading Lord of the Flies now, which is better but still boring at times. I can never get myself to read more than one book at once, so that's about as much as I've read lately.

It isn't bad to dislike a "classic". I generally disliked being forced to read a book I had no interest in. I hated To Kill A Mocking Bird (and had to read it twice to boot), and I also can't say I enjoyed Lord of The Flies all that much. It was alright, but I just didn't like the kids. Conversely, I loved Of Mice and Men.

Sean Aaron ~ "The secret is out: I'm really an American cat-girl."
Q: How many physicists does it take to change a light bulb?
A: Two, one to hold the light bulb, the other to rotate the universe.

Adam

Fifth Head of Cerberus will blow your mind. As soon as I wrapped up that book, I went out and ordered all the "Solar Cycle" books and the Soldier trilogy.

I enjoyed The Odyssey as a kind of mindless adventure story (not that I'm saying that's all it is), but I could do without the Iliad or the Aeneid. Personally, I couldn't care less what's deemed "classic" and what's not.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

Ravage

Adam wrote:

Fifth Head of Cerberus will blow your mind.

Spoiler alert! My mind will now go into it pre-blown and it can't be blown again!
meaningless bonus points for anyone you gets the reference

Ravage

I recently got a book from my sister. I Am Ozzy or some nonsense. Ozzy Osbourne's biography type thing. Sounds to be entertaining, and if it is anything like Slash, which I read when it came out a couple years ago. It was a good read. Look forward to Ozzy's story anyhow.

Hosenkloft

I like the Tom Clancy series been so long since i have read one though. The stories are so intense with overpowering feelings and the Book Frankenstein made me cry if you had to go through what that poor monster went through has to be devastating. All he wanted was some friend someone to talk to and not be so lonley. That buthole father Victor he is had to ruin that for him though. Why would you create something and not take responsibility for it. Such elaborate actions should be demolished and forgotten. No one should be treated like that.

Name is billy nice to meet you. :P
Nintendo wii code is:0788-4117-2611-0435
Goldeneye FC:4068-6613-6833
Who wants to play then?

Adam

I can't remember too well when I started the series I just finished, but if it was this year like I think, I've read a book a week so far this year. I wonder if I can keep that up. Book of the Short Sun was amazing, though I think New Sun was still my favorite of the series. Started Latro in the Mist yesterday, which is pretty good so far.

Also recently got Escape Attempt (by the Strugatsky brothers), which I'm eager to read after this trilogy. I like everything I've read by them so far, and this one particularly amuses me because at the top of the cover it says "NEW SCI-FI FROM THE SOVIET UNION." I had no idea the Soviet Union was still responsible for much sci-fi. I would have thought their non-existence would have gotten in the way. Zangief will be proud.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

I just finished the second book in the manga series Rurouni Kenshin. it was very good.
@Sadman Artemis Fowl is pretty good, but I've only read the first book.

turtlelink

Right now I'm reading a fairly new book called Please Ignore Vera Dietz. Its pretty funny so far but a little slow.

TurtleLink's backloggery
Brawl FC: 4425-1340-4519
The Sister Complex Kingpin of Steel!

The_Fox

I'm a bit of a history nerd, so many of the books I read fall in that genre. I just finished With the Old Breed, an utterly fantastic memoir of E.B Sledge during his time as a marine on Peleliu and Okinawa.

Up next, I think I'll dive into something about the Opium Wars.

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

NIN10DOXD

whats the worst book you ever read
Me:Twilight,New Moon,Eclipse,Breaking Dawn.

NIN10DOXD

The_Fox

Worst book?

Atlas Shrugged. Without a doubt the worst piece of tripe I've ever been forced to read.

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Morgana

Anyone heard of, or read, Rapunzel's Revenge? It's a graphic novel by Shannon Hale. It's very good.

YOU WILL NEVER RISE FROM THE ASHES OF YOUR SHAME AND HUMILIATION!

Morgana

Anyone read Grimm fairy tales? It might sound childish, but quite a few of them are really good.

Edited on by Morgana

The_Fox

The Horse Lover wrote:

Anyone read Grimm fairy tales? It might sound childish, but lots of them are actually really good.

Sure. Heck, I'd be surprised if there was anyone that wasn't familiar with many of the Brothers Grimm works.

-President John Adams

Ravage

Heck, I've even seen the movie, Brothers Grimm. Which was entertaining at least.

@The Fox: Have you ever heard of this one series of books all to do with King Arthur? Well, kind of to do with King Arthur. Each book is a different generation, and I've heard they are very well researched. Oh yeah, I can't remember what they were called

Edited on by Ravage

Kid_A

Just finished reading The Maltese Falcon, and I'm now reading Angela's Ashes. I would highly recommend both, and the former if you're at all anticipating L.A. Noir

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

@NIN10DOXD one of the worst books I've ever read is something I was forced to read in first grade called Upchuck Willy and the Big Bad Bark. Shudder. Terrible memory.

Edited on by

Morgana

There's this book series I'm reading right now called The Sisters Grimm. It's really good so far.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.