Forums

Topic: Nintendo Life Book Club

Posts 141 to 160 of 583

Magician

With the release of the Dune movie on the horizon YT is pulling down all the Dune audiobooks.

Makes me one sad panda.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Vinny

Some months ago, I've read Martin Gilbert's Second World War: A Complete History, a 700 page long book that's a great general overview of the war. (I even had dreams about it after finishing it).

Recently I've finished The Uninhabitable Earth, about climate change and its future effects.

I've been reading another WW2 book, An Army at Dawn, which is about the allied fight in North Africa. It's really, really detailed and over 700 pages long. It's also the first in a trilogy (not sure if I'm going to read the others, I think I've read too much about WW2 this year)

Edited on by Vinny

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

urrutiap

Right now for this month since its Halloween time, Im reading the old 1980s horror novel The Ceremonies by Ted Klein

urrutiap

HexagonSun

I'm brushing up on the classics right now. I recently finished reading Franz Kafka's The Trial and Metamorphosis. I also just finished Dostoevsky's The Idiot. I'm currently reading The Great Gatsby. It's a quick read, so I'm considering Orwell's 1984 afterwards. It seems appropriate for the times.

As far as modern authors go, I finished Haruki Murakami's Killing Commendatore recently. Great book, though Wind-up Chronicles remains my favorite.

With nonfiction, I've been dabbling with the collected works of Descartes and Consciousness by Annaka Harris. I read a little over halfway through Victor Frankl's Man's Search for Meaning, but got a little board after the autobiographical part.

HexagonSun

MsJubilee

Finished The Excorcist recently. What a magnificent book. I was blown away by how graphic and putrid this demon and the book was(compared to the movie); the thing had the mouth of a sailor. A part made me wince to the point I just skimmed through the pages to finish the chapter. Not for the easily squeamish, I'd say.

Also, finished Who Goes There? Great book, The creature is fascinating to learn about, this thing can replicate anything perfectly, and no one would be the wiser. It's terrifying, to say the least, A blue-skinned humanoid beast with 3 big red eyes that are filled with anger and hate that no woman, man, or child can match. I would like to see this creature again in a book, movie, or even a game. But I don't think that's ever going to happen. Shame, it's one of the unique monsters in literature.

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Watch Dogs 2 & Manhunt

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

Raylax

I'm a nuisance for picking up way too many books at once and maybe finishing some of them. On my current bedside doom pile...

• Not All Fairy Tales Have Happy Endings (Ken Williams) - a deep dive into the rise and fall of Sierra from the point of view of its founder, a really interesting read if you're into this part of gaming history
  • Killing Commendatore (Haruki Murakami) - I do like Murakami's works, although this one's maybe a bit long in the tooth. There's always a pleasant, relaxed feeling you get reading them. Finished 1Q84 earlier this year too.
  • How to Survive The End of the World (When It's In Your Own Head) (Aaron Gilles) - soul food for my anxious brain
  • The End Of Everything (Metaphysically Speaking) (Katie Mack) - horror food for my existential dread brain
  • The Coral Island (R.M. Ballantyne) - so I have this big shelf of classic lit that I've had since I was very young. I'm not much of a classic lit person but I occasionally feel obligated to read one of them. Anyway, this one is... uh. Colonialism! Yay! Yeah, there's books that haven't aged well but this one seems a particularly uncomfortable read in the modern era.

Raylax

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1400-0117 | Nintendo Network ID: RaylaxKai

jump

The sequel to Ready Player One which has just been released is being slated, the writing itself seems very clunky. I've seen some of the paragraphs (and the ones chosen are probably the worst in fairness) and yeah it's bad. I rarely ever see a book this vocally slated on social media like this before, normally it's because a fan-fav character has died or the subject matter is controversial.

I never read the original, I watched the movie and it just seemed to be making references rather than it being it's own love letter to geek culture so I never bothered with it.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

jump

I've just started reading a fancy Jules Verne collection I got for Xmas where it is nicely bound with gold pages. I've finished Around the World in Eighty Days but now I can't decided to read either Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea or Journey to the Center of the Earth next.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Wargoose

@jump The trouble with the movie is its constrained by licences, has all the dark bits cut out, and all the relationships are rushed to keep the runtime down.

It also skips the school section of the book completely, and has the first challenge already unlocked from the get go. Which I understand, but it feels like you skip Parzivals introduction in favour of spectacle

Wargoose

jump

@Wargoose I take it you're talking about Ready Player One and not Jules Verne.

To be honest I just found the movie too Mary Sue-ish where because he loves geekdom more than anyone else he's able to win the day, in particular it was the Buckaroo Banzai reference that rubbed me the wrong way but I can't remember what it is now.

I get the appeal where it feels like a constant high five for being into the same things but I wanted something more. Like Future Man or Scott Pilgrim which had clear influences, nods and homages didn't solely rely on them to work and become greater than the sum of their parts.

Nicolai wrote:

Kenchi

Essene and early Christian history.

Switch Friend Code: 6267 6151 9714
3DS Friend Code: 3625-7861-0439
NNID: Kenchi9
ACNL town: Zenn La

urrutiap

anyone know of any other sci fi book series thats kind of like Hyperion? Ive already read the first Mistborn Trilogy and im more into Star Wars so no Star Wars recommendations since I still have a bunch of Star Wars books to read.

something similar to Hyperion is what Im asking

urrutiap

jump

@urrutiap I'm not a big sci-fantasy fan but you could try Enders Game, it's about a kid being trained to lead a future army against space bugs. It was actually apart of recommended reading in the US army for it's tactical thinking. Also which Dune is a classic and could scratch your itch.

Nicolai wrote:

urrutiap

No thanks. Ive already the Dune books up to Chapterhouse and going to read Sandworms of Dune pretty soon.

as for Enders Game Ive seen the movie once or twice. Weird story

urrutiap

jump

@urrutiap The Enders Game movie is thrash, and not a strong advertisement of the book. It’s kinda strange that the writer say the book is not adaptable to film but then let’s it’s be adapted. Got to get that dolla dolla I suppose.

Nicolai wrote:

Barbiegurl777

I'm half way through: Praying With Mother Angelica. On the sorrowful mysteries chapter. Going to start re-reading the Dr. Slump series for the 6th time later~ 🤣✌

The Beatitudes: Matthew 5:1-12

Switch Friend Code: SW-4995-4179-4294 | Nintendo Network ID: Barbiegurl777

jedgamesguy

@Wargoose @jump I can't believe it took six weeks to find a post on Ready Player One on the forums! I have a ton to say about them, so here goes; Consider everything below me spoilers for Ready Player One. Don't TL;DR this because I have some good points.

I think the book was better than the movie by a long way. The movie was still really enjoyable, and remains a spectacle today, but because it was a movie, the creative liberties from the book couldn't be applied. Which is a shame because some of the scenes are pure nostalgia fuel for the right kind of people. I was born in the early 2000s so it doesn't apply to me at all. Some scenes in the movie felt like they existed purely for nostalgia fuel, and while this applies to the book as well, the book weaved them in well enough that it doesn't feel like a plug and play.

First off, the Hunt for Halliday's Easter Egg is much, much easier and way less earned than it was in the book. For one, there are no gates; extra challenges to progress the story. Instead each key contains a clue that segways into the next key quest. The fact that the whole movie is spent finding three keys over... the timespan of about three days, makes it feel cheap. The hunt in the book took well over eight to nine months, and featured a few timeskips as well. The pacing felt real.

The challenges themselves in the movie were easy. The race was such a convoluted quest that was revealed by the most one-off random line I've ever heard. I don't feel like that's a case of "paying attention to details" because that was probably one of hundreds of thousands of memories that Parzival could have possibly looked at. The second challenge was also, very easy, and though a little less "random" than the first quest. The third quest was, again, easy. Adventure?! To think people actually had difficulty choosing games at the end of the movie? It was literally referenced in Halliday's video message! "I suppose it's invisible, hidden in a secret room in the centre of a maze, thats located... right here [motions to head]."

The challenges in the books were the opposite. The Tomb of Horrors, the Cap'n Crunch 2600 Hz whistle, the Rush challenge, and all the gates; the WarGames FlickSync, the Black Tiger challenge, and the Triple Dutch that was the Tempest challenge, the Holy Grail FlickSync, and the Adventure challenge. It all felt earned and didn't feel like any average Joe could do it, which they likely could in the movie. It felt more surprising that nobody had found the Tomb of Horrors, compared to people who didn't realise they could reverse their car.

The pacing in the movie was awful. One thing that irked me was that every single character in the whole movie just HAPPENED to live in Columbus, Ohio. The way Art3mis and Aech are introduced in person was a disservice to their characters. Both had something to hide and they threw their anonymity away like it didn't mean anything to begin with. Aech was (in the book at least) posing as a straight white male, and she was the complete opposite in real life. The reveal in the book was pretty good for her character, and the same applied to Art3mis.

Edited on by jedgamesguy

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

Severian

I've been going through the hidden gem that is Jonathan Carroll and his entire catalogue of works, and also got Kamran Pasha's "Mother of the Believers", a fantastic version of the story of Mohammed the Prophet (PBUH).

Check out Carroll's "The Land of Laughs", "Bones of the Moon", and "Outside the Dog Museum".

Severian

Eel

I've been on a small kindle kick lately, so I finished reading two books I had on hold. Them being Coraline and Resident Evil Underground. Both rather short novels, but enjoyable nonetheless. I'll now move onto the next Resident Evil novel, Nemesis, to continue that.

I also have Alan Wake and Bioshock Rapture, but I think those will wait until I'm done with the Resident Evil ones (after Nemesis, it's Code Veronica, and finally, Zero Hour). Maybe I'll even read them all this year! Oh la la.

It's too bad the writer couldn't continue expanding her novel universe, so I don't expect them to continue much of what Underground and Caliban Cove (her two original entries) set up, but these three remaining books should be fun either way.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic