Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 2,301 to 2,320 of 6,568

RR529

@blindsquarel, I think the complaint about the abruptness of Wanda's turn is a bit overblown. She was clearly shown to becoming entranced by the Dark Hold during the WandaVision post credits scene. Sure, requiring the audience to watch a miniseries to get the full scope of the film's narrative is certainly an angle that can be criticised, but if you have seen the show it doesn't take long to put 2+2 together and see what's happened.

As for killing off the illuminati, that's a whole lot of nothing. They literally just introduced a new character who can (now freely) hop the multiverse at will, so they can bring back any of those characters anytime they feel like with other variants (or the main universe's own versions, when it comes to a couple of them). They really weren't that important to this film other than for the fanservice, so expounding upon them would have largely been bloat.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

jedgamesguy

@jump Fair comparison, I can definitely see why you'd compare it to Stardust. That movie's also pretty underrated for me, it's a really fantastic blend of a fairy tale, love story, scenery show-off, and a "magic in our world" feeling. The action scenes are pretty good too, and the writing is insanely clever, both of which are tell-tale signs of Matthew Vaughn. He's like the better twin brother of Guy Ritchie.

Big Fish was a typical Tim Burton film though. It had the off-kilter protagonists and characters, it had the modern setting, it had the spooky and kooky moments, it had (in most of his films) no clear villain, it had Danny Elfman scoring, it had a strained father-son relationship, it had asymmetrical, wonky architecture, and it also had Helena Bonham Carter. No Johnny Depp, curiously.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

jump

@RR529 yep, it kinda surprising how many people didn’t put that together despite them saying it corrupts people and shows how it made the other Stranges very naughty boys. The movie needed a 10 minute scene where Doctor Strange looks at the camera and then points at the Darkhold repeatedly and says “look at book, that book is very bad, bad book makes people bad, Wanda bad now, Wanda remembers being good so she murders bad book’ so maybe people can figure it out for themselves.

Her history is that of someone who never actually wanted to be a super hero. She willingly working for Nazis, teams up with the Avengers only when she realises her obviously evil robot boss is evil, when she (illegally?) moves to America she decides she doesn’t like complying with the rules which were introduced due to her recklessly killing people so joins a renegade group breaking international law, joined in the fight with Thanos only because he killed her boyfriend and then enslaved an entire town for her own selfish reasons. Yet somehow people thinks she’s a goody two shoes lol.

My only real complaint about the movie was how poorly written Peggy was, she seemed to have become very arrogant and her introduction was to throw her shield around like when an insecure man wants to swing their penis around to be an alpha which is very non Peggy/Captain America like.

@TheJGG Vaughn used the be Ritchie’s producer before he went off on his own to make Layer Cake.

I listened to a podcast with Guy Ritchie and he’s surprisingly more deep (or pretentious depending on your outlook) and was very focused on talking about philosophy, the meaning of life and history which is odd for a man that makes geezer gangster bang bang films.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Kermit1doesmath

@jump When your an Avenger laws don't mean anything lol.

(tbh I'm getting sick of Marvel films/shows)

Edited on by Kermit1doesmath

dysgraphia awareness human

blindsquirrel

@RR529
I don’t think you get what I am saying. I don’t think killing the illuminate or Wanda becoming a villain was a bad thing. I just think they were very rushed in the film. Especially the illuminate. They felt like fan service and nothing more.
@jump
Well when I say it should be longer, I am assuming that they would be good additions and not just filler. But if you went into the movie expecting it to be a popcorn movie and nothing more, then I could see it being a great movie. But I feel like they could have done a lot more with the movie then they did.

Currently playing: Pokemon Soul Silver, Mario RPG
Enos 1:15

Ninfan

Was looking at a few old movies in the past 8 months, like mario bros, wasn't great. Street fighter was good, even though most of the story was nothing to do with fighting scenes.. looked at the First resi movie it wasn't bad. But it was enough of them. Do not think the female character suited the film. Micro men now that was written very well, So good I bought it on DVD. Going to look at the computer generated resi movie ( think it was made in japan ) looks good and I really prepare Chris redfield in resi. Never posted here before so hello, everyone. Don't think I put any spoilers here.

Edited on by Ninfan

Ninfan

jump

@blindsquarel Eh? It's a Marvel film of course you should be expecting a popcorn movie, if it wasn't then it's failed.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Rambler

jump wrote:

I listened to a podcast with Guy Ritchie and he’s surprisingly more deep (or pretentious depending on your outlook) and was very focused on talking about philosophy, the meaning of life and history which is odd for a man that makes geezer gangster bang bang films.

He used to be married to Madge, didn't he? She's deep into woo stuff, I believe.

Anyway, Vortex looks intense. Looks like Gaspar Noe is following Michael Haneke in making a film about frailty and aging, rather than distressing, didactic horrorshows (I think Haneke is an utter genius, btw):

Rambler

blindsquirrel

@jump
Superhero movies can be great. Spider-Man 2, into the spider verse, and the dark knight all show that. I’m not gonna hold the movie to a different standard, just because it is a superhero movie.

Currently playing: Pokemon Soul Silver, Mario RPG
Enos 1:15

jump

@blindsquarel I never said popcorn films can’t be great films. Although I do get tired of people overly celebrating popcorn movies as the best films ever because they don’t watch anything else. It’s like when the Oscars come out and people complain the newest Marvel film not only didn’t win but wasn’t even nominated despite these people not watching any of the actually nominated.

@Rambler I thought the relationship was the other way round and he influenced her by getting fake British?

Nicolai wrote:

Rambler

@jump
Oh god there was some time when she had some sort of home counties accent, didn't she?

With the Marvel films, shouldn't they do a series or film where it turns out that you can watch them in any order?

Rambler

jump

@Rambler yeah, she dropped it after the split pretty quickly too. It goes the other way round too, I saw a Manc band the other day called Hot Milk who very good live but are far too cheesy teen emo (not my thing but they were supporting Frank Carter who I do enjoy) and all of their songs suddenly become like they are American despite them having a Manchester accent when they were talking to the crowd. It’s been explained to me before but I just done get why British bands all of a sudden become American when they sing.

That would be the biggest Marvel plot twist ever but that would enrage people at this point as they seem to just want to watch them to get to the next movie. I’ve seen so many complaints about Doctor Strange 2 didn’t matter enough to the multiverse so they don’t know where it’s all leading to thus it’s the worse film ever.

Nicolai wrote:

Tasuki

Watched Top Gun on Netflix last night in preparation for the sequel. Still a great movie even after all these years.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Kermit1doesmath

jump wrote:

but I just done get why British bands all of a sudden become American when they sing

You became inspector clouseau for a second there....
Untitled
(when you said done it sounded french....)

Edited on by Kermit1doesmath

dysgraphia awareness human

Rambler

@jump
It's the universal accent of pop music, innit.
I'm sure I read ages ago that John Lennon increased his native accent as The Beatles became more experimental (and more confident of their success, I suppose)

Rambler

jump

@Rambler the thing is for me though is these forced American accents are so upbeat which is fine if you’re pop band but when it’s edgy loud music singing about their despair or whatever it works against the music and makes the serious subject matter peppy. It’s not like Trent Reznor the edgiest of edgy musicians who actually has an American accent sings in an upbeat peppy American way during Hurt although I now want to hear the happy eurotrash Hurt remix.

Nicolai wrote:

Rambler

@jump
Yeah, it gives it an edge of artificially, which is a bit odd when you're trying to be true to yourself.

Sting seems be to an exception here...

The whole of the Downward Spiral done with upbeat helium vocals would be amazing. Maybes with the music redone in the style of Scooter?

I once tried to do a happy hardcore version of Broken Wings by Mr Mister, but sadly, it wasn't very good.

Edited on by Rambler

Rambler

BabyYoda71

RR529 wrote:

@blindsquarel, I think the complaint about the abruptness of Wanda's turn is a bit overblown. She was clearly shown to becoming entranced by the Dark Hold during the WandaVision post credits scene. Sure, requiring the audience to watch a miniseries to get the full scope of the film's narrative is certainly an angle that can be criticised, but if you have seen the show it doesn't take long to put 2+2 together and see what's happened.

I saw it on Friday, and I agree that the complaints about Wanda’s story arc don’t make a lot of sense to me. I think it realistically makes sense she was “evil” considering all she wanted was to go back to her sons. I think it was a good continuation of WandaVision.

Heigh Ho Heigh Ho. It’s off to work (from home) I go.

Dogorilla

I'll probably watch the new Dr Strange at some point but I'd be more interested if it wasn't tied to Wandavision, which I haven't seen because I have no intention of getting Disney+. From what I've heard, the film kind of explains what happens in Wandavision but it makes more sense if you've seen it. But you shouldn't need to watch a TV show to understand the storyline of a blockbuster movie!

The MCU's interconnected plotlines were cool at first, but after that all culminated in Endgame it would have been the perfect time to wipe the slate clean and make it a series of largely standalone films going forward, before people get tired of having to go and see every release in fear of missing out on some important plot point. But instead they've made it worse by churning out dozens of TV series that you can only watch on one particular platform and tying those into the movies' stories as well.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

jump

@Rambler I once tried to do something similar of doing hardcore punk/metal covers of happy bouncy Madness and The Specials songs but rather than being ragga metal fusion like Skindred it sounded more like the rubbish ska songs The Ordinary Boys used to play.

Nicolai wrote:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic