Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 2,281 to 2,300 of 6,562

jump

@blindsquarel Eh? It's a Marvel film of course you should be expecting a popcorn movie, if it wasn't then it's failed.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Rambler

jump wrote:

I listened to a podcast with Guy Ritchie and he’s surprisingly more deep (or pretentious depending on your outlook) and was very focused on talking about philosophy, the meaning of life and history which is odd for a man that makes geezer gangster bang bang films.

He used to be married to Madge, didn't he? She's deep into woo stuff, I believe.

Anyway, Vortex looks intense. Looks like Gaspar Noe is following Michael Haneke in making a film about frailty and aging, rather than distressing, didactic horrorshows (I think Haneke is an utter genius, btw):

Rambler

blindsquirrel

@jump
Superhero movies can be great. Spider-Man 2, into the spider verse, and the dark knight all show that. I’m not gonna hold the movie to a different standard, just because it is a superhero movie.

Currently playing: Pokemon Soul Silver, Mario RPG
Enos 1:15

jump

@blindsquarel I never said popcorn films can’t be great films. Although I do get tired of people overly celebrating popcorn movies as the best films ever because they don’t watch anything else. It’s like when the Oscars come out and people complain the newest Marvel film not only didn’t win but wasn’t even nominated despite these people not watching any of the actually nominated.

@Rambler I thought the relationship was the other way round and he influenced her by getting fake British?

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Rambler

@jump
Oh god there was some time when she had some sort of home counties accent, didn't she?

With the Marvel films, shouldn't they do a series or film where it turns out that you can watch them in any order?

Rambler

jump

@Rambler yeah, she dropped it after the split pretty quickly too. It goes the other way round too, I saw a Manc band the other day called Hot Milk who very good live but are far too cheesy teen emo (not my thing but they were supporting Frank Carter who I do enjoy) and all of their songs suddenly become like they are American despite them having a Manchester accent when they were talking to the crowd. It’s been explained to me before but I just done get why British bands all of a sudden become American when they sing.

That would be the biggest Marvel plot twist ever but that would enrage people at this point as they seem to just want to watch them to get to the next movie. I’ve seen so many complaints about Doctor Strange 2 didn’t matter enough to the multiverse so they don’t know where it’s all leading to thus it’s the worse film ever.

Nicolai wrote:

Tasuki

Watched Top Gun on Netflix last night in preparation for the sequel. Still a great movie even after all these years.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Kermit1doesmath

jump wrote:

but I just done get why British bands all of a sudden become American when they sing

You became inspector clouseau for a second there....
Untitled
(when you said done it sounded french....)

Edited on by Kermit1doesmath

dysgraphia awareness human

Rambler

@jump
It's the universal accent of pop music, innit.
I'm sure I read ages ago that John Lennon increased his native accent as The Beatles became more experimental (and more confident of their success, I suppose)

Rambler

jump

@Rambler the thing is for me though is these forced American accents are so upbeat which is fine if you’re pop band but when it’s edgy loud music singing about their despair or whatever it works against the music and makes the serious subject matter peppy. It’s not like Trent Reznor the edgiest of edgy musicians who actually has an American accent sings in an upbeat peppy American way during Hurt although I now want to hear the happy eurotrash Hurt remix.

Nicolai wrote:

Rambler

@jump
Yeah, it gives it an edge of artificially, which is a bit odd when you're trying to be true to yourself.

Sting seems be to an exception here...

The whole of the Downward Spiral done with upbeat helium vocals would be amazing. Maybes with the music redone in the style of Scooter?

I once tried to do a happy hardcore version of Broken Wings by Mr Mister, but sadly, it wasn't very good.

Edited on by Rambler

Rambler

BabyYoda71

RR529 wrote:

@blindsquarel, I think the complaint about the abruptness of Wanda's turn is a bit overblown. She was clearly shown to becoming entranced by the Dark Hold during the WandaVision post credits scene. Sure, requiring the audience to watch a miniseries to get the full scope of the film's narrative is certainly an angle that can be criticised, but if you have seen the show it doesn't take long to put 2+2 together and see what's happened.

I saw it on Friday, and I agree that the complaints about Wanda’s story arc don’t make a lot of sense to me. I think it realistically makes sense she was “evil” considering all she wanted was to go back to her sons. I think it was a good continuation of WandaVision.

Heigh Ho Heigh Ho. It’s off to work (from home) I go.

Dogorilla

I'll probably watch the new Dr Strange at some point but I'd be more interested if it wasn't tied to Wandavision, which I haven't seen because I have no intention of getting Disney+. From what I've heard, the film kind of explains what happens in Wandavision but it makes more sense if you've seen it. But you shouldn't need to watch a TV show to understand the storyline of a blockbuster movie!

The MCU's interconnected plotlines were cool at first, but after that all culminated in Endgame it would have been the perfect time to wipe the slate clean and make it a series of largely standalone films going forward, before people get tired of having to go and see every release in fear of missing out on some important plot point. But instead they've made it worse by churning out dozens of TV series that you can only watch on one particular platform and tying those into the movies' stories as well.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

jump

@Rambler I once tried to do something similar of doing hardcore punk/metal covers of happy bouncy Madness and The Specials songs but rather than being ragga metal fusion like Skindred it sounded more like the rubbish ska songs The Ordinary Boys used to play.

Nicolai wrote:

Snatcher

@Zuljaras I just watched it today as well, and I really did enjoy it! I was actually coming here just too say that lol! (Lost city)

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

kkslider5552000

Dogorilla wrote:

I'll probably watch the new Dr Strange at some point but I'd be more interested if it wasn't tied to Wandavision, which I haven't seen because I have no intention of getting Disney+.

1. I don't have Disney+ either, I just know how to internet so I watched it lol. You could just internet better and find it.
2. Dr. Strange: Multiverse of Madness being awesome has little to nothing to do with being invested in Wandavision or arguably any characters anyway. It's like the last Antman movie, it exists to be a fun movie because fun movies are fun (but in a dark, Sami Raimi sort of way), character investment was honestly very secondary.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

jump

kkslider5552000 wrote:

1. I don't have Disney+ either, I just know how to internet so I watched it lol. You could just internet better and find it.

There are people out there that know how to "internet" but choose not as they view it as stealing and/or want to actually support the movies, music, comics or whatever they like.

I'm one of those weird people that buys music still despite being able to listen to Spotify for free as I want to support the music I like as Spotify pays ridiculously little and most bands aren't rich.

Nicolai wrote:

Dogorilla

@kkslider5552000 Well yeah, I suppose that's an option. I don't generally internet because I'd rather support the shows I want to watch, and also watch them on the TV instead of my laptop. Though on the other hand, giving money to Disney isn't exactly a top priority for me, and my TV doesn't have a Disney+ app anyway. But anyway, good to hear you liked Multiverse of Madness and that it stands up on its own.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

kkslider5552000

jump wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

There are people out there that know how to "internet" but choose not as they view it as stealing and/or want to actually support the movies, music, comics or whatever they like.

I'm one of those weird people that buys music still despite being able to listen to Spotify for free as I want to support the music I like as Spotify pays ridiculously little and most bands aren't rich.

I think that's cool (and in many ways I agree) but paying for Disney + isn't gonna necessarily help the people who actually make Disney + shows anyway. And if watching a tv show is how you'd feel justified in paying to see a movie, then you'd still be supporting the movie instead of neither. (also Wandavision is probably like one of the top 5 watched shows of the past couple of years let's be honest here, they don't need any of our help)

I feel the same way about people who emulated older Metroid games so they could justify themselves buying Dread. It's not supporting more things, its just making choices to support different things if that stuff really matters to someone.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic