Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 1,981 to 1,996 of 1,996

Slowdive

@mjharper I think I'll wait for a while. Saw Spectre for the first time a week ago, and I really don't understand the criticism it received by fans. It is in fact one of my favorite films in the long-running series, and I prefer it over Skyfall.

_

Losermagnet

@OldManHermit Bare with me here because I'm not well-versed in 80s horror (black & white is more my preference) so these may not be obscure, but...

-The Thing: gory body horror.
-Return of the Living Dead: excellent zombie horror-comedy
-Little Shop of Horrors: more comedy than horror. But possibly the only musical with body dismemberment.

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

Pizzamorg

OldManHermit wrote:

Been partaking in my traditional October horror movie marathon. Anything anyone can recommend? I'm partial to 80s horror, so anything obscure from that era you can suggest I'd be happy to hear it.

89s horror is my jam.

My favourites from the 80s are probably Videodrome, Pumpkin Head, Killer Klowns from Outer Space, Night of the Creeps and The Hitcher. If you've seen all of those, I can give you way more suggestions if you want them.

My @ handle everywhere is Pizzamorg.
My Friend Code is: SW-6997-6872-4381
Switch games currently playing: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Ring Fit Adventure. Pokemon Shield. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle.

OldManHermit

@Losermagnet Thanks for the suggestions! I have in fact seen those, The Thing is one of the all time greats. Been awhile since I've seen Little Shop of Horrors, so perhaps I'll give that a re-watch. What are some of you favourite black and white horror flicks? I love stuff like The Old Dark House (1932), so if there's anything like that you can think of let me know.

OldManHermit

OldManHermit

@Pizzamorg Awesome, thanks for the suggestions. I've seen most of those, except for The Hitcher, so I'll give that a look. And truth be told I haven't seen Killer Klowns since I was a little kid, which contributed to my life long fear of clowns, so I think it's time I revisited it as an adult! If you got anything else, than yeah lets hear it!

OldManHermit

Losermagnet

@OldManHermit Old Dark House is great! It would've been one I recommended actually lol. Right off the top of my head one of my favorites is Island of Lost Souls (1932). It's a take on The Island of Dr. Moreau and a really great film in general. Everybody knows about Frankenstein, and probably The Bride of Frankenstein, but Son of Frankenstein (1939) is fantastic too. It's Karloff's last go as the monster, and it has a great performance by Bela Lugosi as well. The Hound of the Baskervilles (1939), The Abominable Snowman (1957), and THEM! (1954) all come recommended as well.

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

Snatcher

@Pizzamorg Wait so is clowns from outer space actually good?

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside.

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

WoomyNNYes

Every time I turn on a Peter Cushing horror movie, they always seem so slow and boring. Is it me? I guess that's just the era? I'm not knocking his movies. I keep trying them when they are on, but they don't hold my attention.

@Snatcher The clowns in Killer Clowns from Outer Space are so weird/creepy, I've found myself watching it a few times. It has a B movie feel. Expect some 80's corny-ness.

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider
'Tendo liker
Rocket League (3v3 - platinum III/diamond I)

Pizzamorg

Snatcher wrote:

@Pizzamorg Wait so is clowns from outer space actually good?

Good by conventional metrics? Maybe not. But is it heaps of fun? Hell yeah.

The Klowns have an awesome theme song, a kill count probably higher than some of the far more famous slashers get over their entire franchise and some genuinely original kills that use the whole clown theme to its fullest, done with special effects that hold up extremely well, to the point of being ahead of their time at points. I also love how detailed, emotive, and full of life the Klown's faces are given that they are rubber puppets and not the more obvious makeup jobs.

OldManHermit wrote:

@Pizzamorg Awesome, thanks for the suggestions. I've seen most of those, except for The Hitcher, so I'll give that a look. And truth be told I haven't seen Killer Klowns since I was a little kid, which contributed to my life long fear of clowns, so I think it's time I revisited it as an adult! If you got anything else, than yeah lets hear it!

The Hitcher is a classic.

Some other recs for you: Original Silent Night, Deadly Night and the original my Bloody Valentine are both great films in their own right and far superior to their remakes.

The sequels to Prom Night, Friday the 13th, Evil Dead and Halloween are all far superior to their original films. The fourth Nightmare on Elm Street is a total banger too.

The original Maniac is excellent (as is the remake).

I also had a lot of fun with Hospital Massacre, Slaughter House and Motel Hell. The Original Mother's Day is a lot of fun too.

Edited on by Pizzamorg

Switch games currently playing: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Ring Fit Adventure. Pokemon Shield. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle.

Snatcher

@Pizzamorg I wanted to try to movie out but it looked like crap, I'm gonna watch it know, thanks.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside.

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

OldManHermit

@Pizzamorg Cool cool. I've been on an bit of an 80s slasher kick, so these should be perfect, thanks!

OldManHermit

Pizzamorg

Snatcher wrote:

@Pizzamorg I wanted to try to movie out but it looked like crap, I'm gonna watch it know, thanks.

OldManHermit wrote:

@Pizzamorg Cool cool. I've been on an bit of an 80s slasher kick, so these should be perfect, thanks!

Welcome both, enjoy (:

In terms of me, I watched 2010s Yellowbrickroad, a movie that has been on my list forever. Unlike Last Shift, which was also on my list forever, and turned out to be a complete masterpiece, Yellowbrickroad might be up there with one of the worst films I have ever seen.

WoomyNNYes

Stardust was a decent watch. Saw that for the first time. (free On Demand rignt now with verizon fios in US)

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider
'Tendo liker
Rocket League (3v3 - platinum III/diamond I)

FroZtedFlakerZz

I just saw Ron's gone wrong and that was a good movie overall, made me laugh ALOT the ending was garbage though, they didn't take the time to keep it from getting absurdly chaotic and it tried to do way too many things at once. It was still worth seeing just for the comedy, obvioulsy more of a family movie though 8/10 imo

Games I'm playing right now:
Zelda BotW - Switch
ACNH - Switch
Smash Bros. Ultimate - Switch
Hyrule Warriors AoC - Switch
The Legend Of Zelda - Nintendo Online

RR529

Went to the cinema for the first time since COVID began to watch Ghostbusters Afterlife.

I thought it did a good job of passing things on to a new generation & vibe (even if that vibe was just Stranger Things: Ghostbusters Edition, what with a small group of tweens/teens unravelling a supernatural conspiracy in small town America) while tying it in & paying respects to the originals (though I can see some thinking it ultimately leans into the original's story a bit too much, I for one enjoyed every second of it).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic