Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 1,941 to 1,960 of 6,555

Rambler

@jump
Stalker is amazing! Book that is based upon is a great proto-cyberpunk read as well. Geoff Dyer's book about the film - Zona - is a typically headspinning fun time as well.

Another film based upon a Strugatskys' book is Hard to be a God. Only seen the first few mins, but it looks incredible, if very icky. Might try a double feature of that and Raw (very different to each other, but both, er, challenging)

Rambler

jump

@Rambler Is that Raw, the French (or Belgium?) film about the vegan trainee vet? I saw it at the cinema going in completely blind as my missus wanted to see it, fantastic flick.

Did you see the director's next film Titane? It came out a few months ago and has really cemented her as an indie darling now. It's well worth a watch if you haven't seen it.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Snatcher

Watched Home alone sweet home.... it was crap.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

Rambler

@jump
I've not seen either, but they both sound right up my street. I think the director is French Canadian?

@snatcher - Home Alone is just Straw Dogs for kids

Rambler

jedgamesguy

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, because we went to one of the locations where the ending was filmed. It was relevant enough, therefore we sat down and saw the whole thing. And it is so much better than I remember. The writing is really smart, and made me laugh on many occasions. Some of the jokes were just sublime and the comedic moments (like when Indy’s father, played by Sean Connery, said that one of the villains talks Nazi-isms in her sleep, coming a few minutes after Indy and the villain share romantic moments) were much easier to notice compared to when I was younger.

A pleasure from start to finish, and unlike Raiders of the Lost Ark, was awesome throughout. The first one felt like a drag for a little while and the score was mind numbingly repetitive, but this movie is amazing. What a ride.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

Rambler

@TheJGG
I humbly disagree.
The first one absolutely thunders along. It took me a few viewings to notice that it's almost non-stop. Last time I saw it, it started to look a bit cheesy in places (Indy's intro is really ott), and it's strange how violent it is.
But I thought the third wasn't as exciting, and Denholme Elliott's character's change from a thoughtful man of learning to an overgrown schoolboy was a bit much
Having said that, Last Crusade is brilliant fun for all the reasons you say, and far better than the second and fourth ones

Rambler

jedgamesguy

@Rambler You’re right, I agree with your point pretty well. Marcus was neutered from an intellectual to comic relief, as was John Rhys-Davies. It made the overall tone of the movie very lighthearted instead of the slightly more serious approach Raiders had. Indy’s character origins for his phobia and all is reasonable.

The fourth one was all over the place, and had way too much CGI and random nonsense thrown in that it was compromised before it even began.

Currently playing:
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Rambler

@TheJGG
Ooh, I actually forgot that Last Crusade had that bit at the start with River Phoenix! Thought that was wonderfully done.
Although I do wonder if Ford gets his chin scar into his contracts (Working Girl is another)

Rambler

Rambler

A film that drags is Hook. Oh lordy, I saw that at the cinema, and I'm sure I saw photons coming to rest before my eyes.

Rambler

RR529

Rambler wrote:

@snatcher - Home Alone is just Straw Dogs for kids

I think he was talking about the Disney+ exclusive sequel, Home Sweet Home Alone, and not the original.

I thought it was mildly clever that they brought back Buzz (Kevin's older brother from the original) as a neighborhood cop so that he would disregard the call of a kid home alone as a prank (and insinuated that Kevin got into home security), but other than that it very much felt like your direct to video sequel.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

jump

Damn, that’s a shame. I thought after 6 films they would have finally made a good Home Alone film at last.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Rambler

They should get a new director for the home alone films - Ken Loach or Michael Haneke might be a good choice

Rambler

Snatcher

@RR529 I agree, the only joke I laughed at through the whole movie, was the woman getting stepped on, thats it, the pranks sucked, and "Villains" sucked, the kid was just a selfish brat, the OG home alone movie are the bomb.

In my opinion home alone is a film you can only do once or twice, there is like six movies.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

jedgamesguy

@jump I’ll tell you a few movies that drag like a stock car; Tenet……

wait, that’s it? Man that movie wasted my time.

Ironically a movie half an hour longer than that, Dune, felt almost too short. Same with No Time To Die. Awesome movies.

Edited on by jedgamesguy

Currently playing:
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

jump

@TheJGG Meh, I felt Dune just suddenly stops as they forgot to put an ending in. They couldn't even be arsed to put a cliff hanger ending on or a to be continued, it's like it went to an ad break and never came back. Even Home Alone 5 has an ending and therefore it's a better movie than Dune!!!

Nicolai wrote:

Losermagnet

Dead Man was the movie I've most recently seen that dragged painfully. It's not even particularly long or uneventful, but I absolutely hated it. An odd case where Jarmusch's character idiosyncrasies work against the movie and I think the Neil Young guitar-skronk soundtrack was the awful cherry on top.

But on the other hand, I could see folks totally loving that movie because there's not much else like it.

Arbitrary ranking of Home Alone movies because of course:

1)Home Alone 1
2)Home Alone 2
3)Home Alone 3
4)Home Alone 4
And 5)Home Alone 5

I had to put some thought into that one.

Edited on by Losermagnet

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

Rambler

@jump
They used up the budget on the SFX, so they had to cut down the script. As they had already done most of the effects, it was easier just to truncate the film

Rambler

jump

@Rambler To save money the last scene in Dune should have been all of those A list actors just sat in the dark on a blank screen explaining that the big end of the movie battle broke the lightbulbs so you can't see anything now and then explain what happened in a huge exposition dump for 30 mins to end the movie. Maybe they should get the set hairdresser's kid to play a kazoo to add some background noise to it too just to make it abit livelier.

Nicolai wrote:

Rambler

@jump
Is that the Lars Von Trier version?

Sounds a bit like my conceptual art idea. Don't need any of the art, just the little plaque on the gallery wall discussing the meaning.
After Baudrillaud, it will be called.

Rambler

Snatcher

@Losermagnet Pretty much how I would rank them as well. One and two, are the best ones, two built on what made the first one funny, and just maxed it out, there was nothing more they could pull from that story, and it should have stayed that way.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic