Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 1,061 to 1,080 of 6,561

the_shpydar

So i finally watched Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - the ultimate edition (or whatever they call the 3-hour cut). While i could go on about it for a while, i'll sum it up and say that though the film has a tremendous amount of eye-rolling moments, flaws and missteps (on just about every level top-to-bottom), at the end of the day, i enjoyed it as a whole for the most part. If nothing else, Affleck was quite good, and i'm curious to see him more in the upcoming films.

Edited on by the_shpydar

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

Vinny

X-Men: First Class (2011): Great X-men prequel. There are some inconsistencies with the other movies of the series but it sets the relationships between the characters very well. Nice Wolverine cameo as well.

Batman: The Killing Joke (2016): I didn't like very much. The added prologue was pretty weak. The Joker transformation flashbacks were kinda generic.

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

RR529

That Kong: Skull Island trailer was epic! I thought Godzilla (2014) was superb, and this is handled by the same studio, so I'm looking forward to it (and the inevitable Godzilla VS King Kong that's to come).

Also, after watching it, I was pointed to a trailer for Godzilla Resurgence, a new Japanese made Godzilla film! It looks absolutely epic, and it's getting an official western release later this year (it's releasing in Japan in a few days). HYYYPPPEE!!!!

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

gcunit

Jason Bourne I'm a big fan of the Bourne series and, like any film I look forward to releasing, I avoided reading any reviews about it, but I did see that it wasn't getting the same level of reception that Bourne Ultimatum got.

Having now seen the film, I can see why. But if you consider Bourne Ultimatum is like a 97% type film, I would say this one is still a 90% film - not as close to perfect as Ultimatum, but still a great Bourne film.

The section set in Greece I found outstanding, a high point for the franchise, and the car chase in Vegas was a delight in outrageous carnage, which really reminded me of takedown missions in the likes of Watch_Dogs and GTA.

There's a segment of film where the story widens beyond Bourne's story a little (though still completely relevant to Bourne) and it's there that it doesn't quite match Bourne Supremacy and Ultimatum in it's tight focus on Bourne, but instead what's great about it is that the whole film is set in the context of very current issues (civil unrest in Greece, Snowden), which gives it a great authenticity to me.

On the topic of animated movies, I still think of Toy Story 3 as the absolute pinnacle and will be astounded if Toy Story 4 can equal it.

We have Ernest and Celestine on DVD. I haven't seen it all the way through but it is indeed a very charming film.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

DefHalan

So last night my Wife and I watched Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. It was an entertaining parody. I don't get the reviews. A lot of them expected it to be scary or to have the same impact and the original, but this was a parody so why would ot have those things? As a Doctor Who dan it was great to see Matt Smith. Overall not a bad flick, might be nice for a date night if you are tired of the same old boring romantic movies lol

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

RR529

@Pikmin22, just so you know, there is a Netflix thread (and it's still on the front page, last I looked).

That said, I do plan on watching Stranger Things once I'm done with the game I'm currently playing.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

@Pikmin22, yep, that's the one.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Vinny

Gangs of Wasseypur II (2012) Excellent Indian crime movie. Great soundtrack as well.

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

Ralizah

Just saw Nine Lives. Kevin Spacey is a sarcastic cat. Two thumbs up.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Whydoievenbother

A few days ago I saw part of The Spongebob Movie: Sponge out of Water. I really tried to like it, but it was just so AWFUL. All of the characters are reduced to cardboard cutouts of their original selves, with their defining character traits being played out x 1 Billion (the exception being Sandy, who was actually kind of funny).If you want to watch a good Spongebob Movie, watch the 2004 one.

Edited on by Whydoievenbother

"I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT!"
Light Yagami, Death Note
"Ah, the Breakfast Club soundtrack! I can't wait 'til I'm old enough to feel ways about stuff!"
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

RR529

InuYasha the Movie 3: Swords of an Honorable Ruler - My summertime rewatch of the InuYasha films continues. I've always liked the subplot regarding the swords InuYasha & Sesshomaru inherited, so it's no surprise that a movie totally focused on it is one of my favorites (though info released later in the main series calls it's continuity into question). Still like the 2nd film the most, but this is many fans' favorite.

Joe Dirt 2: Beautiful Loser - For some reason I can't possibly fathom, my father rented this & we watched it tonight, so... yeah.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

LaserdiscGal

Sausage Party: Aka what the hell did I just sit through.

Solid 7/10 though

LaserdiscGal

3DS Friend Code: 0688-5519-2711 | My Nintendo: pokefraker | Nintendo Network ID: pokefraker

Vinny

X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014): The one where Wolverine goes back to the past to change the future. Since it is mostly set in the past, many of the actors from First Class reprise their roles. Great storyline and action scenes. It's my favorite X-Men so far (X2 being a close second).

RR529

InuYasha the Movie 4: Fire on Mystic Island - The last of the InuYasha films, and my personal least favorite, but it's still a fun time for fans of the series. With this, my annual summer rewatch of the films comes to a close.

Jurassic Park - One of my favorite films of all time. Currently reading the book (about half way through it), which put me in the mood for the film, so I popped it in last night. For the first time I realized, what happened to the dino vet (Harding)? He was the guy with Ellie when she stayed back with the sick Triceratops, and was driving the Jeep when they picked up Malcom & were chased by the T-Rex, but when Ellie & Malcom were next shown back at the main compound, he was nowhere to be seen, with no mention of what happened to him.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Vinny

The Boondock Saints (1999): Two religious Irish vigilantes kill everyone they deem to be bad. The premise and dialogue can be so silly, at first I thought it was some sort of satire.

Well, at least Willem Dafoe was great in this.

Edited on by Vinny

Whydoievenbother

I know this is not quite a movie, but I saw the pilot for the new The Tick Series, and it is an absolute riot. The Tick is a funny superhero, Arthur gives the pilot real heart, The Terror looks like a fun villain and I can't wait to see what they do with him, and while some of the jokes don't quite land, the pilot as a whole is hilarious. I can't wait to see what comes next in this new series.

Oh, and everyone saying the pilot sucks because of the absence of Batmanuel and Captain Liberty, so what if a few characters (THAT WERE MADE UP FOR THE SERIES YOU LIKED) are missing? The pilot is still awesome!

Edited on by Whydoievenbother

"I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT!"
Light Yagami, Death Note
"Ah, the Breakfast Club soundtrack! I can't wait 'til I'm old enough to feel ways about stuff!"
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

RR529

The Wave (Netflix) - Norwegian disaster flick about a scientist who must quickly get his family out of harm's way, as a rockslide triggers an enormous tsunami that threatens to destroy their mountainside hometown. IRL, the city was levelled by a similar event in 1905, and this is sort of a blockbuster-ized "what if" scenario of what it would be like to happen today. Pretty decent overall, though nothing particularly noteworthy (though the countryside was gorgeous).

Spectre (DVD) - The newest Bond flick. Pretty decent time if you like this sort of thing (a few good vehicle chases, fight scenes, etc.).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Vinny

Popstar Never Stop Stopping: A comedy in mockumentary style about a pop singer. Starring the Lonely Island members. I always liked their stuff and the movie was pretty funny.
Too bad it didn't do very well at the box office...

RR529

the Fast & the Furious (Netflix) - Believe it or not, I've never seen any of these movies before, so when I saw Netflix currently has the first three, I figured I'd give the series a shot. I actually liked it a lot more than I thought I would. I wasn't a fan of the music selection (not big on rap/hip-hop), but it's many racing/car chase scenes were quite exciting, delivering exactly what you'd expect, so it was a win in my book.

2 Fast 2 Furious (Netflix) - Much more of the same (though bar 2 characters, a completely new cast), but when the race/car chase scenes are as well done as they are, that's not really a bad thing. Better hurry up if you want to watch this one though, as Netflix is losing it tomorrow (first of the month).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Vinny

Snatch (2000): Really funny comedy/crime movie. Involving a stolen diamond, boxing matches and a caravan.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic