Forums

Topic: Games You Recently Beat?

Posts 2,441 to 2,460 of 3,137

NintendoByNature

Just finished 3 Hopes. Rock solid game that I enjoyed as much as age of calamity.

NintendoByNature

Tyranexx

I finished Ys I & II Chronicles+ (PC/Steam) on Saturday. Definitely fun, cleaned-up versions of the 1989 originals. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about the "bump" combat going in, but I caught on quickly. Beautiful graphics, hand-drawn portraits and backgrounds, great music (Nihon Falcom's in-house band knows how to jam!), and an interesting story connecting the two....There's a reason they're usually bundled together. I will say some hints were cryptic (shows the original framing a bit) and some items weren't easy to find, but talking to NPCs helps a lot in this game; in fact, it can make plenty of difference regarding the difficulty. (Seriously, LISTEN to them in the beginning of the first game lol) Magic is also fun to use in the second game, particularly the Alter magic since it allows the player to speak to demons and other Roos.

Really, my only major criticism is that the end dungeons in each game, PARTICULARLY the Shrine of Solomon in II, can be confusing as heck to navigate; I probably lost an hour or two just trying to find different rooms. I did resort to a guide in the end.

These are definitely worth it for Ys and ARPG fans; the story isn't too outside of the "chosen one" norm, but there are some genuinely moving moments.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

WaffleBoat

Day of the tentacle remaster on xbox series s. It feels really good to revisit one of my favorite childhood games.

I fear no man
but that thing:
The carrot minigame from bowser's inside story
it scares me

RR529

Stray (Steam)

• One day four cats are chillin' around exploring & living their best life, however an orange kitty (that's you) slips off a pipe and falls into a facility known as "Walled City 99". It's a post apocalyptic affair, with sentient robots struggling to survive, and hints of a human population that's long since vanished.
    Untitled
    "Hey, where you going?"
  • Determined to find a path back to the outside world, you'll lead your kitty through a largely linear adventure largely involving some sort puzzle platforming, though there are a couple of open areas as well (these tend to be safe zones of sorts, where you'll interact with the robotic denizens & take on tasks, some optional, to help them out in your quest to escape).
    Untitled
    Metal Gear Cuddly (you even get to hide in boxes!)
  • Early on in the adventure you'll team up with a mysterious drone who has many uses (he acts as translator when reading signs/talking to robots, has a flashlight for dark areas, is your inventory, can interact with computer terminals, and also has one or two other temporary uses which I won't spoil).
  • There isn't much in terms of side content, with the largest activity being the acquisition of "Memories", which reveal more about the world & what happened to it. 5 of them you'll get automatically just by playing through it, though there are usually 2 or 3 hidden off path during each linear segment, and a whole bunch hidden in out of the way locations in the open segments (the vast majority). You don't need to worry about them until the drone joins up with you though, as only he can access them (I obtained all but two). Otherwise there are some optional activities you can undertake to help out the robots, like collecting music sheets for a musician, though other than adding a little color to the world these serve no purpose (though I think you get pins, which are added to your kitty's vest, as you complete them).
  • It does go out of it's way to make you feel like a cat, whether it be the controversial jumping system (where you can only make precise, calculated jumps to areas the cat knows it can reach) which I didn't have issue with, the ability to meow, and designated areas where you can nap, scratch furniture, nudge a robot's legs, and knock stuff off surfaces (some of which are used to solve problems).
    Untitled
    "Sorry, am I interrupting something?"
  • The kitty stuff absolutely can be cute at the right times, but I am quite surprised at how wholesome & cute the game's reputation as a whole is. Don't get me wrong, the world is absolutely interesting & there is some humor peppered here & there, though it's dour & sombre more often than not, & there are even a couple areas that nearly go all in on a zombie apocalypse like vibe (not gory, but would still be nightmare inducing for younger players I'd imagine, but I don't want to get too detailed for fears of spoiling).
    Untitled
    Untitled
    Untitled
    Not so warm & fuzzy (it gets worse).
  • It's an absolutely gorgeous game graphically too, with a presentation that stands alongside some of the best looking AAA titles I've played. I've heard it can be a bit glitchy, but I really didn't have that experience myself (just one instance where I could jump to a platform that no longer existed, which was more funny than anything).
    Untitled
    Untitled
    Untitled
    Untitled
    Untitled
    Various shots, ending with a pretty glitchy kitty.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Jhena

Today I beat Klonoa 2 Lunateas Veil. This entry was even more fun, than the first. Especially the hoverboard levels were really fun. Collecting everything was more challenging, aside from the extra levels. Thankfully the developers gave me unlimited tries on those levels, though I was playing on normal difficulty. Getting extra lifes when I did not have many left was also a nice move.

The atmosphere is great. It let me reminisce of the greatness, that was Playstation, before the downfall with the PS 3. Beating the extra levels unlocked a music player and I would say the music is pretty good.
I remember making extra saves for Final Fantasy games just to listen to great tracks.

Looking forward to more Klonoa goodness.

Edit: Finished Pocky and Rocky Reshrined six times now. This game is great. It feels like a game from the 90s. The difficulty is just right. Strangely I did not feel much of a difference, by changing the difficulty. Only the easiest felt different, because of unlimited tries.

Edited on by Jhena

Jhena

Switch Friend Code: SW-2361-9475-8611 | Nintendo Network ID: Traumwanderer

Fizza

Beat Comix Zone on the Mega Drive NSO app.
Untitled
A pretty good beat-em-up/platformer with one of the most unique and well-executed premises I've ever seen. I had no idea what it even was prior to playing it since I had never watched the NSO reveal trailer it featured in and wow was it cool. They took complete advantage of the fact that you were playing in a comic book, between jumping through pages to advance to the next area, said pages tearing when performing a strong enough attack, and enemies literally being drawn in as you encounter them.

Whilst the concept and execution of said concept is to me it's best strength, the gameplay itself was no slouch either. It's, like I said at the beginning, a hybrid between platformer and beat-em-up, with the beat-em-up side taking the most screen-time I would say: you'll be hopping from page to page beating up whatever creatures the main antagonist Mortus draws up in a style akin to both Streets of Rage (dogpiling enemies with as many punches as possible) and....Street Fighter, oddly enough (high, medium and low attacks, a block button and movement on a strictly 2D plain) and, whilst it's not the most mechanically deep thing in the world, it was still a fun time pounding enemies into the ground with uppercuts Axel-style (I still hear Grand Uppa in my dreams).

However, there are definitely some things I wasn't a fan of whatsoever. Now I'm not sure whether this is an NSO emulation issue or not but I would get constant visual glitches throughout my entire playthrough. A lot of them were relatively harmless but others? They were genuinely painful on the eyes and made me stop playing for a bit at some point.
Untitled
(a bit of proof to show what I'm talking about with the incident that made me stop playing for a while. Also, 'deal with it'? That's easier said than done ma'am)

Couple that with a lack of clarity on which attacks would actually damage the enemy and some instances of pure 90's BS and it did leave a slight bitter taste in my mouth.

Still, in the hour it took me to beat it, I had a great time overall. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who has the NSO Expansion Pack: it'll only take you an hour max and it's one of the most unique games I've ever played.

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

Screen

Celeste.

I thought the game was overrated, but still feels good to finally beat.

BDSP has online matchmaking!

Jhena

Kao The Kangaroo (Switch) : I enjoyed the game, sadly it is a bit buggy and glitchy, so I could not 100% it.

Lego Star Wars The Skywalker Saga is next.

Jhena

SoManyHaveDied

Beat Assassins Creed Black Flag and Chicory with the missus

Black Flag was absolutely awesome. probably the best AC on switch i imagine

Chicory was........alright. it wasn't bad, just a bit fluffy. a lot of dialogue and the co-op was meek

Name: NîGGAMANE
Island Name: KURiSUJiMA
Hemisphere: Northern

Switch Friend Code: SW-8457-3122-4521

NintendoPete

Beat Alwa's Awakening - the 8-bit version: still a great game and that is a prime example of a great port. In my eyes it is vast superior to the Switch version simply because there is more to discover. I was surprised how it is possible to convert this game into a 512kb size version without losing Zoe's fluent movement.

Since then I am hooked again to play old Nes games on my first console. Currently I am at the end stage of 'The Battle of Olympus' (also a good game). And Star Tropics as well as Star Tropics: Zoda's Revenge are on its way. Played through them already 1-2 years ago but never owned them - especially the second one is difficult to obtain in Europe since it has never been released here.

NintendoPete

Jhena

@NintendoPete

Cool thanks. Never knew Star Tropics 2 existed. Watched a longplay of Star Tropics and thought it was great. Really cool atmosphere.

Jhena

henbirdler

I've been going through a slew of old S/NES and now N64 games, as I discovered Ryukahr's Debunking the Difficulty series on Youtube, which walks you through some of these old games' BS and helps you to manage through them.

Lion King (SNES) - Despite most folks saying the second area is the hardest, I found the lava stage (Simba's Exile? I think?) near the end to be the most frustrating and most difficult. The game is only difficult in that you have no idea what is coming up and the game does little to telegraph for you to give you a fair chance without trial and error. That second stage has some really wonky hit detection which once you figure out, along with figuring out the patterns of the monkeys, makes the stage much more doable.

Batman (NES): This game has its own share of BS, especially in its boss design, but the actual stages offer some really fun and good platforming challenges that make this game worth revisiting in my opinion. The final boss is just dumb though. Thankfully, this game offers unlimited continues and is fairly short, which make it more approachable than other NES titles.

Megaman 3 (NES): I have only beaten Megaman 2 of the original 6 and I own 3, so I decided to give it a shot. The slide makes the difference in this game making movement feel so much better and unlimited than in 1 and 2. Megaman 2 will likely always be my favorite for its presentation (the title screen is the best) and its weapons (the metal blades are so fun to use), but I really enjoyed the addition of Rush for navigating areas.

Cruis'n USA (N64): In Bossfight Books entry on NBA Jam, the author did a deep dive on Midway (and Bally, Bally-Williams, etc.) which I only connected back to when I popped this one in. While this series is just ok, I have fond memories of the racing cabinet in a bar my family used to eat at. I will likely go through Cruis'n World next as well. Makes me want to check out Cruis'n Blast too!

henbirdler

StarPoint

I just beat Bowser's Fury, here are my thoughts:

Overall I think this game is really excellent. The semi-open world nature fits Mario very well, and I hope this game is maybe some sort of hint or precursor as to what the next mainline Mario game may be. Lots of the challenges are super fun, and it feels great to traverse a pretty large world and uncover secrets. The music and overall presentation were really good as well.

The only major problem I had with the game was the performance. This game consistently dropped well below 60fps, and at certain points, I'm pretty sure I hit dips of around 25-20fps, which is pretty ridiculous. I also thought it was kind of annoying that if you wanted to do another challenge in an area, you needed to leave the area and then come back to start it. Also, Bowser got pretty annoying after a while; it felt like he started showing up every 3 minutes after a certain point. Other than these points, though, this game was a ton of fun and I would love to see a greatly expanded version of it in the future.

8/10

"Science compels us to explode the sun!"

Currently playing:

Persona 5 Royal (PC)
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy (PC)

d0nkeyk0ng_jR

Most recent game I have beat: Super Mario Odyssey (Not 100%, just got to the credits roll, I will 100% it sometime though)

My thoughts?

This game was in my backlog for several months. I came back to it after not playing it since March, and I really didn't realize how far I had made it. Went back to it last weekend and........ Within two days, I beat it. Really good game, If you haven't played it yet, then what are you waiting for? Mother 3 Localization? C'mon, play it!

The Deranged Mother Fan Attacks!

Ralizah

@d0nkeyk0ng_jR Honestly, the best content in the game only comes after the credits roll. I wasn't gaga over the game when I first beat it, but my time with the post-game really changed my mind about it. It's my second-favorite 3D Mario.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

d0nkeyk0ng_jR

@Ralizah I see what you mean, I feel like the postgame is keeping me far more engaged than with the main game.

The Deranged Mother Fan Attacks!

kkslider5552000

Ralizah wrote:

Honestly, the best content in the game only comes after the credits roll. I wasn't gaga over the game when I first beat it, but my time with the post-game really changed my mind about it. It's my second-favorite 3D Mario.

I had the literal opposite experience. It felt like an awesome 20 hour game that then just refused to end for some reason. Granted, that was more based a dumb decision for how I would play the post-game and the pacing then the actual content being disappointing.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic