Forums

Topic: Games You Recently Beat?

Posts 1,741 to 1,760 of 3,149

Dusk

Okay, I just finished Dead in Vinland: True Viking Edition on Switch.
I won't make this long:

Good:
It's a great RPG with interesting management and survival mechanics. It is punishingly hard but there is a learning curve and mastering the system yields very satisfying results. The DLCs are good and the price is well worth what you're getting.

Bad:
First of all - too random for it's own good. Stuff with 99% chance of succeeding fail more often then not. That's all well and good, manageable even and it didn't bother me in the PC version.

BUT the Switch version is riddled with bugs - from game breaking custom difficulty setting bugs (I tinkered with the settings a bit and they got stuck no matter what I did). And even the ending is bugged in a few ways.

I still recommend this game, but if you're considering it - try getting it on the PC.

Dusk

Tyranexx

Batman: The Telltale Series (Switch)

This was my first Telltale game, but how could a Batman fan like me ignore it? The Gotham here is corrupt, greedy, apathetic, and has all sorts of twists and turns in store for Bruce Wayne and his nightly escapades. It's a visual novel in many ways, but some of the plot twists and characterizations are very much worth exploring.

Positives

• Story-wise, the plot in the game takes some interesting (though at times predictable) turns and will keep even the most casual of Batman fans engaged. The player can influence the reactions of others and how chunks of the story play out through their (or rather, Bruce Wayne's) decisions. This makes the game quite replayable.
  • The Gotham that Bruce Wayne/Batman loves is well characterized. It's dark, gritty, and very much full of corruption.
  • Many recognizable characters from the franchise make an appearance. Their backstories, characterizations, and goals are somewhat familiar here, but Telltale added their own unique spin to the proceedings and reimagined some of these characters in different ways.
  • Some may find the investigative sections boring where Bruce must link evidence at a scene to various happenings, but I quite enjoyed them.
  • Voice work here is pretty well done, in my opinion.
  • The track isn't too varied, but there are some musical pieces that I really did like. Especially that killer intro.
  • The news feed and codex, while not essential, are nice supplements to the action that the player can digest at their choosing.

Neutral

• QTEs (Quick Time Events) can be both entertaining and frustrating. On one hand, it's really satisfying to pull off blows and other moves to help make for an interesting scene. On the other, how to pull some of these off (particularly the ones where the player must aim an on-screen pointer into a circle) is quite frustrating and may result in a death/redo.
  • The visuals aren't anything stellar, but they get the job done. Not that they're bad, it's just that the Switch is capable of so much more.

Negatives/Nitpicks

• While I really enjoyed the story for the most part, there are a few minor inconsistencies that I feel like weren't properly addressed. This could very well be a side effect of how I played the game, however.
  • As mentioned in the previous section, the visuals, on the whole, aren't bad. Some are even quite decent. However, some of the assets are definitely watered down. I feel like a little more time could have been spent on the port in this regard.
  • Minor nitpick, but I dislike how many dialogue choices are timed. This appears to simulate decision making in real life, but....Well, I'm one who likes to think about their decisions.

Batman: The Telltale Series is an enjoyable collection of episodes that will easily appease most Batman and Telltale fans. A few issues and inconsistencies aside, the story is gripping, replayability is high, and this version of Gotham is hard to ignore. However, it isn't recommended to those who prefer more active gameplay or who aren't really interested in the Batverse (or Telltale games) to begin with. Here's to hoping that some of the Arkham games make the Switch at some point to help better fulfill the itch for Bat-action.

Currently playing: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch), Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Magician

Just rolled the credits for MHW Iceborne.

Now the deco grind begins.

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Wargoose

Just finished God of War, really interesting blend of Bayonetta style action and Zelda style dungeons. I'd say the combat isn't as satisfying as Bayonetta, but the dungeons were slightly more difficult than Zelda. Really solid game, I've now moved onto the sequel.

Wargoose

Ralizah

Azure Striker Gunvolt

Platform: Nintendo Switch

Time to completion: 15+ hours
Normal and true endings achieved; did not quite 100% game

Untitled

Azure Striker Gunvolt was released in 2014 as an exclusive for the Nintendo 3DS before being ported to the Nintendo Switch via the retail release of the Azure Striker Gunvolt: Striker Pack (the version I'm reviewing). A PS4 port of the Striker Pack was also apparently released on PS4 in 2020. The game was developed by Inti Creates as a sort of spiritual successor to their previous Mega Man Zero and Mega Man ZX titles. As in a Mega Man game, you'll be choosing various stages to complete, which emphasize left-to-right platforming with the goal of reaching a unique stage boss at the end.

Untitled

ASG maintains its own sense of identity in terms of the gameplay, however. The biggest difference from your average Mega Man game is in how you attack enemies. Your player character, Gunvolt, uses a gun to shoot tagging bolts into enemies. These bolts do very little damage on their own, but their main purpose is to direct the flow of electricity that he is able to generate with his psychic powers. While this detracts somewhat from the visceral simplicity of shooting enemies to defeat them, it opens up more strategic possibilities for the player, as they are able to tag and attack multiple enemies at the same time. Depending on how many tags you insert into an object or enemy, you can also strengthen or weaken Gunvolt's electric attack.

Combat and exploration are entirely tied into this mechanic. When you fight psychic bosses at the end of each level, for example, the fight will often task the player with both avoiding telegraphed super attacks (more on that later) as well as exploiting moments of vulnerability, which are often the best times to tag an enemy. Gunvolt uses his electric powers to solve simple environmental puzzles through the game's stages (for example, he'll sometimes use his powers to power up an elevator or some other device that he needs to progress further) as well as navigate his environments (when Gunvolt is using his powers, his fall speed will reduce dramatically, allowing the player to strategically activate the powers in order to, for example, cross large gaps.

Untitled

Before elaborating further on the gameplay structure, I should briefly discuss the game's premise and narrative elements. The plot and plot presentation here... aren't great. It often feels like what would result if took the script for Final Fantasy VII's early hours (up until you leave Midgar), and designed a computer program to mix it up with a swampy stew of cringy anime fanfiction written by preteens. As far as I could make out (the game desperately wants to be story-driven, but isn't sure how to accomplish this), the game is set some indeterminate time in the future, when an evil power company/world government called the Sumeragi Group is maintaining order by oppressing and controlling the increasing number of people who are displaying powers, which the game calls Adepts. The psychic abilities they control, called "septimal powers," can manifest in a variety of ways, including as apparently sentient projections of the adept's personality. Gunvolt is a 14-year-old adept who was raised by an adept terrorist and inducted into his organization, called QUILL, which fights against the Sumeragi Group. Gunvolt is tasked with finding and killing an adept said to be working for the Sumeragi Group, who is apparently able to use her singing voice to brainwash other adepts (or something), but he discovers that his target was actually the septimal projection of a young girl named Joule, who appears to be around the same age as Gunvolt. Gunvolt decides to rescue Joule and parts ways with QUILL due to their determination to have her killed. Or, that was the way the game presented it, but Gunvolt just goes on to do freelance jobs for QUILL anyway.

Keep in mind that this all sounds far more interesting than it actually is. The game tells its stories via a handful of short cutscenes, which do very little to establish the setting, and via dialogue exchanges that irritatingly play across the screen as you play through several of the game's early missions. Yet none of this dialogue or these cutscenes are enough to actually establish the setting in any real way. It's like the developers wanted the game to be both a story-driven experience as well as a fast-paced Mega Man-esque platformer, and the settled for a halfway approach that undermines both approaches.

There are a number of background and side characters in ASG, but it almost feels like the game forgets about them as soon as they're off-screen, as 90% don't really do much of anything or make a difference to the larger plot.

The writing is pretty bad as well. Eyeball-rollingly juvenile. Particularly the dialogue. This game feels like it was written by twelve-year-olds. Which, I guess, is appropriate, given most of the characters are 14-year-olds with snazzy psychic powers.

With that out of the way, let's get back to the gameplay.

Untitled

The gameplay cycle of this title has a somewhat unique focus. When you complete a mission, you will return to Gunvolt's apartment, where he lives with Joule. Here you have a variety of options, including conversing with Joule (the game often informs you that 'you've grown closer' with her after striking up a conversation, but I never noticed it changing much in terms of the character dynamics), changing your equipment and weapons (more on that in a second), activating optional missions (ditto), and crafting new items and equipment.

Your character actually randomly gains crafting materials at the end of each level. Additionally, when he activates a mission (which is a challenge to complete within the level itself: say, kill two enemies at the same time with your electric attack, or find a particular item, or complete the mission under a certain number of minutes, etc.), he will gain additional crafting materials for completing these. These materials, over the course of time, will be used to build gear that provides a variety of beneficial effects for Gunvolt (some change how much damage he takes, for example, while others allow to do things like air jump or air dash multiple times). Since this gear can dramatically change how difficult or easy a given level is, the game encourages replaying its dozen or so total levels over and over and over again to gain new crafting materials, but also to achieve higher scores within the levels themselves (the game itself is only as long as it is because the player will invariably replay the same levels time and time again in order to engage with most of the game's content).

Untitled

And this brings us to the game's scoring system, which is a prominent feature and also deserves to be mentioned. Unlike other Mega Man games, where the goal of a given stage is typically to just survive and defeat the boss, the focus of ASG is different. Whenever Gunvolt successfully does something, like kill an enemy, he'll gain a certain number of points, called kudos. These kudos decrease back to zero when he is damaged by enemy attacks too many times or messes up somehow. Throughout the level, the player will be able to 'lock in' their accumulated kudos, which directly contributes to the rank the player receives at the end of the level. But if the player ignores this mechanic and pushes on with their score, they stand to earn far more points via an increased multiplier.

This introduces two major elements to the gameplay formula. The first is risk-versus-reward. The player is incentivized to go for higher levels of kudos by ignoring lock-in points, but this also increases the risk that they'll lose everything if they're not careful enough. The second is that this focus on accumulating points alters the focus of the gameplay, which also contributes to the ways in which levels are designed and enemies attacked. Basically, the level design and enemy types you encounter are sort of vanilla, but everything is designed so that, if you learn their patterns, you can avoid taking damage. With the exception of boss fights, death isn't really much of a concern here: taking damage is, which means the mental calculus you'll engage in when engaging with enemies will be different.

Untitled

Kudos most directly affect the game's sound design, as, after accumulating 1000 kudos, Joule's septimal projection Lumen will actually begin singing, changing the BGM. This might sound like a minor thing, but a large amount of ASG's OST is composed of J-Pop songs that are locked behind skill walls of this sort. If you do well enough in a level, you can even synthesize a pendant that allows the player to permanently change the background music of the level. I also feel obliged to mention that when you die, sometimes you'll trigger Lumen to revive you, making you invincible as a J-Pop song starts playing in the background. It's hilarious when it happens.

The overall impact, then, is that ASG isn't about surviving levels. It's about memorizing patterns and learning to play beautifully. The idea is that the player will most fully appreciate the game when they have learned the levels enough that they're focused less on avoiding damage and more on figuring out the best way to rack up the most amount of points. In that one respect, it feels a bit similar to something like a rhythm game, where, again, the goal is less about survival or completion and more about performance.

I do feel like the game would have been better overall if it had offered more robust in-game rewards for playing better, though. Had Inti Creates committed to the implicit structure of their game, it could have been a more compelling experience. More stage variety, with multiple paths, and more rewards for playing well would have especially integrated well with the crafting system, which is extremely underutilized in this game unless you make a point of trying to build everything. Not enough carrot at the end of that stick, imo.

With this understanding, I also wasn't a fan of the way the game essentially had me replay most of the stages AGAIN to collect chaos emeralds hidden jewels that are required to see the game's true boss and true ending.

Untitled

Speaking of music, it's not bad. The normal BGM is the usual peppy Mega Man spinoff sort of music, but the vocal tracks are pretty good if you like that genre of music.

The pixel art itself is somewhat chunky looking on the big screen. But, look, this was a game built for the 3DS. On the tiny 240p 3DS screen, this game probably looks great. It still looks OK. The pixel art is nicely detailed. You're always going to sacrifice some level of visual appeal when you blow up a game built for tiny screens on a large 1080p set.

I did play a bit on the handheld screen, and, unsurprisingly, the image looks a fair bit cleaner there.

Untitled

If there is one thing that detracted from the experience for me, it was the controls. Now, the game allows you to remap most of the controls in this game to different buttons, but when you're activating special septimal attacks, you have to aim your right stick in a certain direction to choose the attack, and then click in on R3. I found this to be particularly obnoxious, as it was easy to move the stick a few centimeters in the wrong direction when clicking in, resulting in the wrong special attack being activated. Worse, despite at least a few buttons on the Switch controller being unused by anything meaningful in this game, we're never given the option to remap the special activation button to anything other than R3. This especially becomes annoying when you consider that boss fights are frequently frenetic and require quick, precise button inputs.

Azure Striker Gunvolt is an interesting game, and I imagine anyone who has been yearning for a Mega Man Zero-esque experience has already played and probably enjoyed the heck out of this game. For me, though, it felt a bit uneven and undercooked in spots. At times, the game feels like it's suffering a bit of an identity crisis. I'm not sorry I played it, though.

@Late

Didn't see this. Great write-up, friend! Always nice to see new EO players.

I'd definitely recommend EO4. While it's the easiest game in the series, it's also arguably the most ambitious and different of the lot, with its freeing overworld exploration, resource management, and the way it separates the dungeons you explore across the world. It also has the best OST in the series, in my own humble opinion (although all the games have excellent music). I can't recommend it enough.

EO5 is great as well. Probably my second favorite entry in the series, and it does the best job of integrating the series' traditionally minimal narrative elements with organic storytelling.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Anti-Matter

I have finished Dragon Quest Builders 2 PS4 just now !
Woo Hoo !! 😄😄😄
Now i can enjoy my freedom to build my whole island with additional DLC contents.

Anti-Matter

Late

@Ralizah Thanks for the recommendation. I was already leaning towards EO4 so another vote for it pretty much seals the deal. I played bit more Untold during the weekend since Xenoblade didn't arrive until yesterday. I think I'll slowly work on the 6th Stratum while focusing more on other games. I still kind of want to do everything there is to do.

I'm glad you enjoyed my thoughts on the game. I tend to ramble a lot but I tried to arrange the text somewhat nicely this time. Still a far cry from the full on reviews you and some other users write.

I bought the first Gunvolt for 3DS couple of years ago and played it for an hour or two, then decided it's not for me. I didn't really like its mechanics and general gameplay. And I think there was something confusing about it too. I don't remember. I did the same exact thing earlier with Mega Man Zero when I got the collection for DS. Played once or twice and never touched it again. I've heard the first Zero game is rough. Maybe I should have started with Zero 2. Anyway, I prefer the old fashioned NES Mega Man where I only need to worry about jumping and shooting.

It's its, not it's.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

AshenLion

Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair
Well. That'll teach me to listen to reviews. Blandest sidescroller I've played since NSMB. You people actually think this is better than DKC? God.

Dragon Quest 11
Just beat the third arc. I feel like the direction they took ruined a lot of character development and I wouldn't have missed out on much by skipping it altogether. But the game's a masterpiece up to that point.

Edited on by AshenLion

AshenLion

MsJubilee

Recently finished Doom Eternal. Fantastic game starts off slow(barely any weapons, tools, and ammo), but when you receive a handful of guns. It becomes superb, and with the music blazing, it transforms into a beautiful experience. It's pure adrenaline fun. I'm not a metal guy, but Eternal's soundtrack is top-notch, pumps you up in every fight. Well done, Mick and ID. I might have to recommend anyone who has played enough FPS to play this in hard mode. It gets super easy in the last few levels.

I wanted to touch upon the story; it's a mess. It reminds me of Gears Of War, where the game drops you in the middle act of the story, and you're left confused. The codex entries fill up some plot holes(but it's not enough). There are many questions left unanswered. It just felt like the developers wanted the player to read some prequel novels before they play this. But, I think the upcoming DLC might fix this, but I shouldn't have to pay to know the whole experience. To me, that's shady, But what do I know.

I need to say a few more things I didn't like about this game. One is the bosses. They're tedious(not tricky). Eternal's type of gameplay isn't for them. Second is the collectibles; they're okay(the albums are fun) I would rather have had armor or a powerup in there place. And third is the suit upgrades; they're mediocre, 25 percent of them are useful, the rest is fluff to fill up the screen. The weapon upgrades are neat, and the enhancements can vastly improve a gun(the regular machine and plasma gun to be exact).

I haven't touched upon the environments. They're deliciously disgusting that it looks like you're in actual hell. Skeletons, giant demons, fire, meat, teeth, and death, are what you'll see in this game, and it's glorious. And it runs very well(played this on PS4 Slim by the way). ID pushed there engine to the limit, and it shows. Don't know how this game will look on the Switch, but oh boy. It's going to look like blurry crap.

OH! I forgot to talk about the battle mode, Doom Eternal's multiplayer mode. It's not great or bad. It's just mediocre. If ID software just built upon 2016's multiplayer, it could've been a much more enjoyable experience. To wrap this inconsistent rambling, Doom Eternal is a great game that every FPS fan should play, it's not perfect by any means, but it's a worthwhile experience.

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Watch Dogs 2 & Manhunt

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

brandonbwii

Just finished Rygar using the NES Online app. It was so much fun.

Facebook: bbworks club
Twitter: @bbworks_club
Instagram: bbworks club

Nintendo Network ID: BigBadBrowne

gcunit

@brandonbwii I've just tried Rygar for the first time based on your post. It's kind of disorientating getting thrown into a game like that with no introduction whatsoever. I moved a couple of steps to the right and was immediately under attack from both directions, enemies coming out of nowhere. I guess it was fairly typical in the NES era, but I'm so used to overly long introductory cutscenes and mandatory tutorial stuff. Looks interesting though with the way you can jump on enemies to stop them, kind of like Super Mario Bros, but with a fantasy theme.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

brandonbwii

I grew up in the NES era but I still went to YouTube to look up tips and tricks. I also made liberal use of save states and the rewind function. (The original had to be completed in one sitting). Don’t forget you can use the respawning enemies to your advantage because you gain more health when you grind.

Edited on by brandonbwii

Facebook: bbworks club
Twitter: @bbworks_club
Instagram: bbworks club

Nintendo Network ID: BigBadBrowne

NotTelevision

@brandonbwii I also beat Rygar last week and had a lot of fun with it. Actually I’m happy the game through NSO has that rewind function. Not necessarily because the battles are all that tough, but because latching on to that grappling rope is really finicky. You often get a game over because you fell into the water instead of grabbing on the rope.

But level grinding and upgrading is easy enough, especially when you learn you can just spawn endless crawlers in the final fortress, which gives you a ton of XP.

A real classic game though with a banging soundtrack.

NotTelevision

Ralizah

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt + Hearts of Stone DLC

Total quests completed: 195

Hours played: 70 (PC); 25 (Switch)

Completed: All main story content for the base game and the Hearts of Stone DLC expansion; all side-quests I found that didn't relate to Gwent, because I hate Gwent; all but one or two of the monster contracts

Untitled

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt has sold 28 million copies or so, so I doubt I need to introduce anyone to the premise. Needless to say, you play as a mutated monster hunter named Geralt of Rivia who journeys across fantastical landscapes on a quest to find a young girl named Ciri, who may or may not be the same as the A.I. who you harass with embarrassing questions on your iPhone. Nah, actually she's just an adoptive daughter with an Important Destiny because of her Magic Blood or something. The game doesn't exactly lean away from overused fantasy tropes, at least in terms of how the main scenario progresses.

This game released in 2015, but, playing on a somewhat old PC, I was still startled by how beautiful and detailed the game's open world was. It might not be pushing boundaries today in terms of sheer graphical fidelity, but it'd be difficult to find a more evocative, fully-realized fantasy world. There is a wonderful level of detail paid to lighting and natural beauty in this game. Sunsets, foggy mornings, desolate swamps... everything in this game, landscape-wise, feels like it was designed to tap into the player's emotions.

The music is also quite good. Unusually distinctive from the bland scores that tend to accentutate the majority of WRPGs I've played over the years. I'm not even sure how to describe it? Epic polish fantasy folk music, maybe?

Consider the track Steel for Humans Banana Tiger, which sometimes plays as battle music.

This unique sound extends to tracks throughout the game. Vocal tracks are everywhere, filled with passionate hollering and yipping. This approach to sound design even extends outside of the music, and you'll hear these sounds, for example, when your character completes a quest.

Untitled

The area where The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt really excels, however, is characterization. A true-to-form epic, TW3 features an enormous extended cast that Geralt will encounter over the course of his journey: everything from multiple monarchs, politicians, assassins, bards, other witchers, etc. all the way down to common peasants and otherwise normal people. Some of these characters show up more than others, but all of them are sharply characterized and bursting with personality and nuance. More than any game I've played in recent memory, the people in TW3 feel complex and three-dimensional, and it is primarily this humanistic commitment to showing the good and ugliness in everyone that both grounds this otherwise far-flung high fantasy setting, filled with wizards, magicks, elves, alternate dimensions, monsters, etc. and makes many of the quest lines Geralt can take on throughout the game so singularly compelling.

And this is where we transition to the side-quests. The quests Geralt can take on throughout the game (apart from the rote and often somewhat boring monster contracts, but more on that later) are inseperable from the characters animating them. The somewhat dull and uneventful main story, in grand open world tradition, feels more like a travelogue designed to acquaint Geralt with the people you'll meet in these strange lands.

The most notable quality of these side-quests is how organically they blur into the fabric of the larger narrative. Indeed, while there are plenty of disconnected chores and whatnot Geralt can take on that will never ultimately make a difference to anyone, this game goes out of its way to blur the lines between side-and-main quests. Side-quests often transition into main quest objectives. Sometimes, decisions made on side-quests deeply impact the way a main quest later in the game will develop. In the same way, main quests can also splinter out into a variety of possible scenarios to the explore, depending on what happen in them. Just as the characters intermingle and create the sensation that one is exploring a living world, so too does the quest design often give one the impression that most of what Geralt does on his adventure matters, both to the progression of the game's broader story and to the way these character's lives will turn out in the long run.

This rich social tapesty lends the game a narrative depth that is more often a quality associated with good genre literature than it is with video games.

Untitled

The combat system in TW3 gets a lot of flak online, but I thought it was reasonably fun. Geralt whips and twirls around the battlefield with the grace of a ballerina, and while random encounters with scrub enemies usually tend to be pretty mindless affairs, stronger monsters and bosses often require the player to learn something of their movements in order to avoid being damaged by them. Still, the bosses in this game tend to be rote, somewhat disappointing affairs (the Hearts of Stone DLC actually addresses this complaint somewhat; in terms of difficulty and engagement, the fights with The Caretaker and The Toad Prince blow away anything in the main game), up to and including the final boss, who could be mistaken for a mid-game boss encounter, aside from the tedious health bar padding and waiting the player is made to do in order to disguise how lame the encounter really is.

As a side note, I thought that having to maintain two different types of swords (silver for monsters and steel for humans) at all times would become confusing, but it wasn't bad at all. Even when I had to learn to manually unequip particular swords when fighting enemies because, for some reason, the auto-draw option when aggro'ing enemies didn't seem to trigger most of the time. Particularly when playing on the Nintendo Switch. But I very quickly mentally adapted to pressing different directions on the D-Pad to sheathe or unsheathe my sword. Maybe it's even better this way, because, in a small sense, it puts me into Geralt's headspace. There's a real sense of ownership when you're manually drawing a blade versus having the game draw it for you.

Despite the functional simplicity of the combat in this game, there are apparently a lot of systems underneath that I felt were never really relevant to my playthrough. For example, when you upgrade your character throughout the game, perks will reference something called "Adrenaline Points," and the upgrades make utilization of these points sound quite strategic, but, even reading up on them online, I'm still not entirely sure what they're really supposed to do. It reminded me of my playthrough of Bloodborne a bit, when the game would reference obscure stats and systems that never seemed relevant to how I could actively play the game one way or another.

Untitled

As far as I'm aware, TW3 is the first game in the series to take place in an open world, and I'm not entirely sure this was to the game's benefit. Open world games have often been accused over the years of being giant, open wastelands full of meaningless activities to check off a list. And this criticism applies to The Witcher 3 as well. The world is NEEDLESSLY huge. Aside from the usual herb collecting, there's very little to do when you're traveling between quest markers. Like many an Ubisoft game, TW3 attempts to address this by spewing out an almost overwhelming number of question mark icons across its landscapes. While some of these will lead to interesting new quests or towns that will unlock fast travel points, most of them are disappointing repetitions of the same boring content over and over again.

I guess you do have encounters with enemies in the open world, but I found that, despite the massive enemy variety in this game, 80 percent of the time I felt like I was either running into groups of wolves, Drowners, or Nekkers. More crucially, though, fighting enemies in this game is a MASSIVE waste of time, because you get almost nothing in the way of XP for defeating even large groups of them. Even considering the loot you pick off their corpses for alchemy ingredients, they're almost never worth the damage they'll end up doing to your equipment. And the game has a really annoying tendency of changing the player's moveset when enemies spawn and making it where Geralt sometimes can't even escape an encounter until he kills an enemy. Even in scenarios where it's a timed quest and there's literally zero benefit to fighting the enemy!

My brief discussion of the pointlessness of wild monster encounters brings me to a larger criticism of the game, though. The worst aspect of TW3 is how almost universally terrible and unbalanced the XP distribution is for main and side quests.

Put frankly, side-quests in this game rarely feel like anything other than a waste of time when it comes to the rewards the game doles out for completing them. You can spend fifteen hours grinding side content and barely inch your way up another level, whereas the XP rewards for completing main story content is so over-the-top that I often found myself gaining multiple levels at once while attending to a single quest. Despite the game's most rewarding narrative content being found in side-quests, the game doesn't really incentivize the player to engage with it otherwise, which is a damn shame.

This criticism actually extends to the way money is handled in-game as well, and my primary issue with taking on monster contracts was that I often felt, just like with the side-quests, that I was engaging with the content in spite of the game's progression mechanics. While the side-quests were usually well-written and sometimes connected deeply enough with the main plot that I could forgive the pathetic way the game doled out a meager amount of experience points to me, it's harder to justify the fact that monster contracts felt like a massive waste of time. There were a few surprises, but most of these contracts felt like incredibly samey, rote affairs: Run to person offering quest. Haggle for slightly more gold than they originally offered (the haggling mechanic itself is so basic that it might as well not be there; 99% of the people in this game are unwilling to part with more than 40 - 50 extra coins, and there's no reasoning with them or extra dialogue that might net you extra rewards. The game effectively locks 20% or so of your money reward for each contract behind a needless extra step, and it's annoying). Run to location where someone had a run-in with a monster. Squeeze trigger to activate Witcher senses. Following glowing trail to monster. Fight monster. Run back to person to collect reward.

Wash, rinse, and repeat.

There were a couple of contracts that tossed in some nicely troubling developments, or moral decisions to make, but the vast majority of them are just... there.

Well, so what? A job is a job, right? Can't expect work to be constantly surprising, and Geralt's work in this game is monster slaying. And, early on, when you're poor and desperate for coin, this makes sense. But the problem is that the monetary rewards for monster slaying as you increase in level never really go up. What once was a windfall becomes barely a pittance. I'm not exaggerating when I say that, mid-to-late game, you'll make triple the amount of money for killing a group of scrub bandits and selling off their weapons as you would for taking on a monster contract. And you run across a LOT of bandits in this game.

Simply put, the moment you're not desperate for money, monster slaying mostly loses its value and the contracts become just more items to tick off of a checklist.

Untitled

Another issue I have is with shops in this game, and really the way the game handles loot distribution, resource management (like potions and oils), and shop inventories over all. Because, despite throwing loads of vendors at the player, one has almost no reason whatsoever to actually visit them beyond dumping off the loads of loot the player will collect over even a small period of time. In one of the game's most singularly bizarre design choices, once Geralt learns how to craft potions and oils, he only has to meditate and possess alcohol to have them automatically refill. So unless you're ignoring hard alcohol throughout the game (and there is a LOT of alcohol in this game; people in this world must be lushes, because you'll find liquors, beers, wines, etc. stashed in nooks and crannies around nearly every location in this game), you'll never need to drop by the shop to refill on healing items, or ever even really run out.

There's also a pronounced weapon, armor, and runestone crafting element in this game, but, as with the alchemy, it feels unnecessary. The equipment you'll pick off the bodies of fallen enemies, or obtain on quests/in caves/etc. are usually far more than enough for the relatively meager challenges the game throws your way. It doesn't make a lot of sense to spend an hour, or hours, tracking down the items needed to craft these special swords and whatnot when, by the time you'd be able to do so, you're already drowning in good loot that renders the crafting system irrelevant.

Runestone crafting seems like a better way to spend one's time, but it's also poorly handled. The DLC quest to find someone who can do this for you comes INCREDIBLY late in the game (level-wise, and it'll take 50+ hours to accumulate the amount of money you need to supply him with the materials he needs anyway), and, even then, requires the purchasing of rare diagrams, sometimes from characters that aren't even accessible to you anymore. Anyway, putting all that aside, the Runecrafter requires obscene amounts of money in order to supply him with the materials to craft greater runestones, which, let's be frank, are the only ones really worth crafting. Who wants to waste time and money crafting something that only adds a 2% chance of adding a burning effect when you swing your sword, after all? Well, even having saved up the majority of my money throughout the game (because, as I pointed out before, there's almost no sense in purchasing gear in this game; it's NEVER necessary. Shopkeepers are irrelevant outside of the diagrams they occasionally have access to), upgrading the runecrafter to the point where he could craft these greater runestones almost bankrupted me. It's almost like the developers knew that players would have no reason to engage with shopkeepers besides pawning off the obscene amounts of loot they collected every time they hit a new location or bandit camp. Still, when I have almost no money left over, even after completing all of the available Witcher contracts, clearing out bandit camps, etc. it's probably the case that CDPR didn't test this aspect of the game very well.

My issues with this game's RPG and progression mechanics extend also to the game's perk system as Geralt levels up. Because there are only a very limited number of perks that Geralt can equip over time, and, between gaining perk points from both leveling and from Places of Power dotted around the map, it doesn't take long at all to wind up with far more perk points than you're ever inclined to use. Some perks help by allowing the player to pump multiple points into them to increase their effectiveness, but misc. buff perks, some of which are so OP that you've be crazy to do without them (I don't think I'd ever unequip the ones that allows food to passively heal you for 20 minutes), don't allow this. The end result is that I've wound up with tens of perk points that I just have no reason to invest in anything else. Maybe the intention was to have the player utilize multiple 'builds' throughout the game, but once I've found a build that works for my playstyle, I don't want to deviate from it. I'm not even excited when I find a place of power any more, because I know it'll just give me another perk point that'll go to waste.

There's also an entire alchemy system in this game, with tons of recipes, items to use, perks to boost effects from alchemical concoctions, a toxicity meter that seems to go up when using some potions, etc. But it feels like wasted effort, because the game feels complete without having to dip into this side of things aside from the three or four times it forced me too. I think I got some use out of a potion that allowed me to see in the dark, but I would usually just end up drinking it by accident and making the my screen look washed out for minutes on end, so I quickly unequipped that as well.

Untitled
Geralt isn't the best at taking selfies. Especially not at 540p!

Boy, that's a LOT of complaining, isn't it? I can't deny that the failures of this game as both an open-world experience as well as an RPG keep it from greatness for me. Yet, despite this, I would still count The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt as one of the better WRPGs I've played, and a solid modern-gen AAA game overall. Like other seriously flawed games that I ended up loving, TW3 wildly succeeds in certain important areas. Areas, like music and character development, that are usually disappointing in Western-style (and especially Western-developed) RPGs. I can absolutely understand why this title is beloved, and how CDProjektRed could build the majority of its reputation on this one title (considering how massive the hype around it is, I really hope their upcoming Cyberpunk 2077 doesn't disappoint).

This would normally be where I'd end my post, but I didn't just play the PC version of the game, did I? I want to discuss, if only briefly, the improbable port this demanding game received for Nintendo's diminutive Switch console.

So, first, an admission: I'm a BIT of a Switch fanatic, so I'm more inclined to be tolerant of its limitations as a platform. With that said, even I have to admit that, while TW3 on Switch is a perfectly functional version of the game, I... wouldn't recommend playing it exclusively unless it's the only platform you own that can run it. Despite some really noticeable texture pop-in, this version of the game works marvelously well when you're out and about exploring the world. It doesn't look nearly as pretty, sure, but it looks good enough to not be distracting. Especially on the smaller handheld screen. This is one of the best looking handheld RPGs ever made. But, for some reason, the game really seems to struggle with lighting effects and movement in cutscenes. Character movement looks weird and disjointed, almost like they're animating at some absurdly low framerate, which frankly ruins battle sequences in cutscenes. Even worse, though, is the strobe effect that often seemed to trigger when fog or dappling light came into the equation. That reunion scene at the Isle of Mists? I felt like I was having a seizure.

I think it's a great complimentary version of the game, though. It's a lot of fun to just kick back and explore The Continent before going to bed, or when monitoring something that requires you presence, but not constant attention. This won't matter to PS4 owners of the game, but the cross-save and cross-play function works brilliantly if you own the game on PC, as both Steam and GOG support save file transfers from the cloud.

So, long story short, if you go the Switch/PC route, go PC for story content and the more cinematic side-quests, and Switch for exploration/small tasks/ingredient collecting/monster contracts/etc.

BruceCM

How about the Blood & Wine expansion, @Ralizah....? That's very good, too

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Ralizah

@BruceCM

Probably next year. It'll give me a good excuse to revisit the game. But I hear it's, like, 1/3 the length of the main game or something, so doing it now seems excessive.

MsJubilee

BruceCM wrote:

How about the Blood & Wine expansion, Ralizah....? That's very good, too

That expansion drags on for way too long; at many points, you think it's going to be over, but it throws you another pointless curveball filled with padding.

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Watch Dogs 2 & Manhunt

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

Ralizah

@MsJubilee Definitely glad I waited on it, then. I liked the game a lot, but I've had my fill for now. I'll play through it when there's a slow spot in the release schedule.

BruceCM

It is quite long, @Ralizah & @MsJubilee .... But I'd say it's at least as good as the main game Good idea to take a bit of a break before that! You will find enemies in that part are generally trickier than the rest of the game, too

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Ralizah

@BruceCM HoS's plot is already better than the main game's, so that wouldn't surprise me.

How are the bosses? I was pretty happy with most of the boss fights in HoS. They had the level of challenge I was missing from the main game's bosses.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic