Forums

Topic: Games You Feel are Overrated

Posts 101 to 120 of 413

skywake

Ok, ignore all my whine about this thread but please keep the posts up so you can laugh at them. I guess ultimately my disagreement with the thread is with the idea of it not the way people are using it. The way I see it game reviews and the community in general don't get it wrong. When I feel the game should be rated higher or lower? I always blame myself. Either I'm into it despite the flaws people rightly point out or I don't understand what other people see.

It's a subtle thing, I just don't like the idea of some hipster skimming through someone's game collection and whining about them owning Zelda or Portal 2. I think that dude is a jerk. That's what I was thinking this thread represented even if, to be fair, most people commenting weren't behaving like that at all. So with that in mind here are a few well received games that I didn't understand:

Super Paper Mario: I made the mistake of playing the N64 original on the Wii VC just before this game came out in Australia. It made it really hard to enjoy the Wii version because the N64 version had so much more character. I just really didn't enjoy it that much

The Witcher 2: I got it for almost nothing and gave it a spin just to see what all the fuss is about. It's just really not my sort of thing. I'm not a huge fan of that style of game.

Darksiders 2: I know some people are really into this game but I don't really get it. Maybe they're into the tone of it a bit more than I am or something. I got a copy of it for almost nothing and played through a bit of it. I had absolutely zero motivation to keep playing it.

.... I'd list some more but honestly if I don't enjoy a game I tend to forget about it. And a lot of the games I haven't enjoyed tend to also be games that I don't ever see anyone praise. There's a lot more stuff that I really liked which a lot of people don't like. But that's the internet I guess.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

gcunit

Haru17 wrote:

@gcunit It's also just not very well-written in a general sense

What didn't you like about it and how far did you play?

@Haru17 I've played about 60 hours, but I forget the name of the boss I'm at, or what Level I'm at.

Specific things that negatively impact my appreciation of the game:

• The whole gems and gear thing I find unsatisfying, it's just not a fun or interesting mechanic, and if I bother to try and manage them for the sake of improvement, I don't really 'see' any difference in my experience of the game. Sure, an enemy's HP might start dropping a little bit faster, but because it's all auto-attack I don't 'feel' any difference. I just don't see enough incentive in those systems. Grinding sucks, but I'd rather grind than bother with gems etc.
  • Just in general, any game that is going to rely on battling as much as XC does, auto-attack with Arts clicking has to be the least fun or interesting way of delivering it.
  • Side quests are lame, as is the amount of reward you get for bothering to complete them. "Take these cookies to my nephew and then come back and tell me when you're done. Oh, btw, good luck finding me again".
  • As grand as the setting for the game is, actually travelling through the game's environment is so boring and tedious. While some of the backdrops are eye catching, the landscape is really barren and bland. The ropey running and jumping animations only make moving around worse. Sure, you can fast travel, but I've never found that a satisfying mechanic - it's not like having fast travel makes a game great, it just takes the edge off the tedium. The only reason I would consider using fast travel in Breath of the Wild is because of how easy it is to get sidetracked in that world - if you really want to focus on completing an objective sometimes it's just safer to fast travel. In XC fast travel is there because normal travel is tedious.

That's pretty much it. The tl;dr version is that the only incentive I have to continue the game is to find out what happens in the story; nothing about the gameplay is enjoyable for me.

I don't have any issue with the story itself, not being familiar with much anime.

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Haru17

@gcunit I'm basically the same, although I have more of an issue with the writing and less of one with fast travel. Auto-attack and fetch quests are basically the MMO experience, so you can't say you haven't played one before anymore, haha. The watching health bars go down nature of it is pretty bad, but on top of that the game doesn't give you any indication of whether what you're doing is working or not. Not unless you grind until you're overleveled and fights become a snooze.

The side quests are... yeah. Not much to say besides 'FFXV without voice acting.'

And I'm glad you've seen through the environments. I'm always so confused when people wax poetic about Bionis Leg — it's just a giant, flat field with a looping track and skybox! The 'verticality' people associated with Xenoblade is just the developers cutting out strips of that flat land, arching it up in the sky, and placing high level mobs atop of it.

There's nothing about Xenoblade that embodies the naturalism and level design found in a lot of Skyrim's areas. That kind of physical, 3D as in not only broad but also vertical level design what I want from an open world game, and that's a big reason why I can't accept anything less.

I want this:

Untitled

Not this (Anything above basically Reyn's head is just skybox. Also this is a screen from Dolphin.):

Untitled

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

LuckyLand

Maxz wrote:

I never managed to really enjoy Tropical Freeze much. The motion felt kind of heavy and sluggish, and I was never all that wowed by the level design. Admittedly, I didn't get that far into it (largely due to those initial impressions), but yeah... I just found it kind of slow and uninspiring.

Perhaps controversially, I had much more fun with Jungle Beat on the GC, with the bongo controls. Everything just felt bigger and more explosive and dynamic and acrobatic and stupidly epically awesome. I loved hurling DK around those massive levels and racking up crazy combos with perfectly times claps, and the feeling of pummelling an opponent with a ballistic barrage of bongo beats is something I've yet to feel in a video game since.

So yeah, I had much more fun with an eccentric, gimmick-based accessory-selling bongo platformer than a Retro-developed revival of a revered SNES series.

To tell the truth, I prefer Donkey Kong country returns rather than Tropical freeze. Tropical freeze is still a good game imo but Country returnns was much better and I've been rather disappointed with TF despite I still found it fun and enjoyable

Jungle beat was very fun but imo less intriguing and with a less pleasant graphic style so Country returns is the best DK game so far for me.

Edited on by LuckyLand

I used to be a ripple user like you, then I took The Arrow in the knee

skywake

LuckyLand wrote:

Maxz wrote:

I never managed to really enjoy Tropical Freeze much. The motion felt kind of heavy and sluggish, and I was never all that wowed by the level design. Admittedly, I didn't get that far into it (largely due to those initial impressions), but yeah... I just found it kind of slow and uninspiring.

To tell the truth, I prefer Donkey Kong country returns rather than Tropical freeze. Tropical freeze is still a good game imo but Country returnns was much better and I've been rather disappointed with TF despite I still found it fun and enjoyable

From memory DKCR lacked the underwater stages and Tropical Freeze pushed them pretty hard. So you're both wrong. Tropical Freeze was by far the best of the newer DKC style games. Give me this and the mine-kart stages over the rocket-barrel stages any day.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

LuckyLand

@skywake I agree that underwater stages are better than rocket barrel ones, but I still prefer Country Returns as a whole. We are talking about an entire game so what you say is true and I think it's a pity that DKCR lacked underwater stages but this is just one small part of the whole picture for me

I used to be a ripple user like you, then I took The Arrow in the knee

ThatNyteDaez

For a platformer - Shovel Knight was god aweful.

Never take anything I say seriously. S'all you buddy. ;)
Mainly play on my Switch but I have 3DS, Wii U and PS4 as well.
Fave game series include: Pokemon, Smash Bros, Splatoon, Disgaea, Bayonetta, Dragons Dogma, Phantasy Star & Arena of Valor.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1089-6841-7799 | 3DS Friend Code: 5455-9887-9271 | My Nintendo: ThatNyteDaez | Nintendo Network ID: Rhydas | Twitter:

JoyBoy

For an open-world game Shovel Knight was pretty good though. It just shows how different perspectives can lead to different opinions.

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

Maxz

@Snaplocket Oh, please don't think so was actually accusing anyone here of hating on cherished games for amusement. I was just referencing it as an example of the sort of things that had been implied might happen in this sort of thread, but haven't, and... well, it's complicated. But everything seems fine.

With regards to Donkey Kong, I never played Returns, so can't much comment, but between Jungle Beat and Tropical Freeze I think I actually preferred the visual direction of JB. It was less classically 'Donkey Kong' (or at least DKC), but it has a pretty memorable aesthetic of its own. I'll never forget storming the Ninja Stronghold in the rain, and jelly levels were probably the jelliest thing I've seen in a video game ever. They reminded me a bit of Zool.

The DKC reboots get praise for being pretty unforgiving traditional platformers, but in terms of all out fun, I think Jungle Beat is one of my favourite platformers ever.

With respect to XCX, I was slightly put off buying it for some of the reasons listed by people listed. However, I do wonder whether the main 'Venn Diagram' region it ended up attracting was 'people who wanted a Wii U game they could call "epic"'. Up until that point, the console had mainly been served with first party titles with an distinctly linear focus.

I can't remember if XCX is technically first or second party, but the aesthetic is definitely a departure from the colourful, rubbery, cartoonish look of most of Nintendo's output (even if it's just replaced by anime tropes with mechs). The game was certainly a lot less linear than Super Mario 3D World (which I think is great, but... definitely linear) or any of the many 2D platformers (which lose an entire definition with which to be non-linear), which make up a lot of the Wii U's single player library.

In a sense, it was quite a groundbreaking title in the Wii U's library, and I wonder if that splash covered up some of it's flaws - especially as lowish sales made it much easier to sell it as an 'underrated gem' than the opposite. But again, haven't played it; don't know. But... I do wonder...

Edited on by Maxz

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

MarcelRguez

Spanjard wrote:

For an open-world game Shovel Knight was pretty good though.

What the hell is going on in this thread.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

MarcelRguez

This is some next-level funposting, let me tell you.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

JoyBoy

MarcelRguez wrote:

This is some next-level funposting, let me tell you.

Dark moon and Punch-out weren't that fun though... Federation force is a step in the right direction.

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

gcunit

Of all the Formula One VR management Sims I've played, Shovel Knight is definitely the most overrated.

mav-i-am

Overrated? who knows, just not for me.

Majora’s Mask - I am a Zelda Fanboi and I just cant get on with a timer in the game.

Switch games list,

Legend of Zelda BotW, Human resource machine, NBA Playgrounds, Street Fighter 2, Super Bomberman R, Snipperclips, Overcooked, World of Goo.

Nintendo Network ID: mav-i-am | Twitter:

NEStalgia

@Maxz XCX is a flawed game, but it's also a game unlike any other. FFXV copies a lot of what it did, but does so in a worse way with higher production value. Questing was broken, plain and simple. But combat was greatly improved from the beloved XC1. XC2 looks to try to merge the good parts about XC1 (the story/characters) with the good parts of XCX (the open world exploration and side questing), into a greater whole and looks to have improved further on the combat system. XCX is hard to rate. If you look at it's flaws, it's overrated, but if you look at the fact that nothing else like it outside its own series exists, it's hard to look down on. And if you look at it as a stepping stone within its own series, it's an amazingly critical milestone for Xenoblade as a whole (the engine, the combat, the exploration design all emerged in X.) So at minimum, it's an "important" game if a little too old school for its own good in some places. (It's 1st party, Monolith is owned by Nintendo.)

@gcunit I actually agree with much of what you said about XC1. The developers kind of do too. They commented on the balance of story and gameplay and admitted they leaned too much toward story and not enough toward gameplay in XC1, and in XCX they leaned the opposite way so it was all about gameplay and not about story. And XC2 they're trying to put the two elements together in a cohesive whole.

I get the feeling XC2 is actually a higher budget game with higher production values than either of the first two as well. The first was a Japan-only game by intent with an appropriate budget (thus the gems and such...Japan needs their crafting...) the second was exceeding it's budget for a failing console and ultimately shoved out the door after the engine took too long. XC2 has been in development since when X was still in deelopment, gets a global release, and is part of a console launch. I have high hopes for it.

NEStalgia

rallydefault

mav-i-am wrote:

Overrated? who knows, just not for me.

Majora’s Mask - I am a Zelda Fanboi and I just cant get on with a timer in the game.

]

Ah! I agree! I LOVE Zelda games, but I HATE games with time limits. Major's Mask brings that unholy element to a majority of the gameplay.

rallydefault

Arcamenel

Mario Kart 8. I got the deluxe version day 1 since I never got a Wii U and after doing all the 50cc 100cc and 150cc courses I'm extremely bored. I also tried playing online and other than getting frustrated when losing first in the last lap, didn't really feel anything towards it. The battle modes were fun the first time but I basically haven't played it at all after the second week or so. I thought it was because it's a racing game but I'm having a lot more fun with Fast RMX.

Derrick
3DS FC: 1693 - 1069 - 1732

gcunit

@NEStalgia An interesting post, thanks, made even better by agreeing with me

I haven't tried XCX yet, but it's sitting on the shelf, so I won't give up on the series yet.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.