Forums

Topic: Everything points out to Massively disappointing E3

Posts 101 to 120 of 295

MarcelRguez

Even without new announcements, I can see them putting out an event similar to the 2014 one in terms of overall quality. The games we know are coming are that big.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

NEStalgia

@Grumblevolcano So there were a lot of solid showings in there. Wooly World, XCX, SMM, SF:0 are 4 taht had no place being in there. And the absence of SMTxFE at that point was getting awkward with all the others that shouldn't be there being there. But with all the stuff that WAS current it's not as bad as I was remembering it.

But yeah, I agree with @MarcelRguez , from what we already know: Arms (ARMS may be old news but with an "available THIS FRIDAY after the show!" tag that makes it more awesome E3 news. Most big E3 games aren't on sale E3 week), Splatoon, Odyssey, XC2, SMTV, DQ11(Maybe?), Rabbids (Probably?), FE:W, FE18, Sonic Mania, Sonic, Forces, Skyrim, Octopath, Pokken, MHXX,Shantae,Yooka....that's a pretty solid lineup for a first console E3. That excludes indies/eshop and unannounced 3rd parties. And that's with Rabbids being the only unannounced thing (SMTV is announced (it's on NoA's site as "TBD".) Any other surprises and that's a pretty crowded presentation.

NEStalgia

TuVictus

Tbh only Mario would keep me interested if there was nothing new to show. If that wasn't there I'd consider it lame.

TuVictus

LzWinky

Grumblevolcano wrote:

E3 2014 digital event had:

• Smash

Well, we have these in 2017

• Smash - Smash port possible
  • amiibo - new amiibo
  • BotW - DLC possible
  • Hyrule Warriors - FE Warriors
  • Kirby and the Rainbow Curse - some Kirby game possible
  • XCX - Xenoblade 2
  • Super Mario Maker - Super Mario Odyssey
  • Splatoon - Splatoon 2

So a very comparable year even without the new game announcements.

Edited on by LzWinky

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Ralizah

If it has SMT V, I'll be happy with it, but I still don't think we're going to see more of that until TGS or E3 next year.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Aozz101x

Grumblevolcano wrote:

E3 2014 digital event had:

• Smash
  • amiibo (New)
  • Yoshi's Woolly World
  • Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (New)
  • BotW (First actual footage)
  • Pokemon ORAS
  • Bayonetta 1+2 (1 was a new announcement)
  • Hyrule Warriors
  • Kirby and the Rainbow Curse (New)
  • XCX
  • Super Mario Maker (New)
  • Splatoon (New)
  • Smash
  • Star Fox (New, blurry screen tease)

i forgot that they reveal 2 smash chars at E3 2014.
i be okay with either E3 2014 or E3 2013 route.
also don't forget they have Nintendo Treehouse E3 thing. they could reveal something new their as well. weather it's Switch or Nintendo 3DS.

Edited on by Aozz101x

My Top 9 Favorite Games of All time.
1. Judgement
2. Baldur's Gate 3
3. Bully (Rockstar)
4. Person 4 / Golden
5. Sonic Adventure 2
6. Xenoblade X
7. Ape Escape 2
8. Animal Crossing: New Leaf
9. James Bond 007 Nightfire

Switch Friend Code: SW-5070-3616-4044 | 3DS Friend Code: 4828-8466-0472 | My Nintendo: Aozz101x | Twitter:

IceClimbers

@Aozz101x If a new game gets announced during Treehouse, it'll likely be Superstar Saga DX.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

MarcelRguez

@Ralizah Same here. Feels way too soon and I think more would have been shown had it been in development for longer. If all they had back at its reveal was recycled assets, it's still a long way to go until it hits the shelves.

Not going to lie, it would be a pretty awesome thing if it showed up, but I'm not counting on it.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

Ralizah

@MarcelRguez Same. That Switch Conference trailer made it look like it was still early in development.

It won't take nearly as long as Persona 5, though, as I'm expecting they'll use that game's engine for their HD SMT games for a good long while. I'm guessing mid-2019, barring more information on its development.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Grumblevolcano

@Aozz101x They revealed stuff there too for E3 2014. Mario Party 10 was revealed via a trailer on youtube after the digital event which Treehouse went into detail for gameplay. Then there was the Codename STEAM reveal at a developer roundtable that wasn't streamed but then got a rather significant Treehouse segment on the final day. At a different developer roundtable, Pac-Man was revealed for Smash (so 3 characters overall were revealed during E3).

E3 2014 really set the expectations for a Nintendo E3 and so the following 2 E3 years ended up very bad in comparison.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

IceClimbers

@Grumblevolcano To be honest 2015 was pretty good until the actual Digital Event.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

yokokazuo

@IceClimbers I thought 2015 would be one of the best E3's after the NWC, but that went downhill shortly after
Holding my excitement the next time I see new AC game footage...
And I remember trolling my cousin by telling him a new Metroid Prime was announced haha

yokokazuo

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6707-5664 | Nintendo Network ID: yokokazuo

Haru17

The Zelda U announcement in 2014 wasn't 'actual' game footage so much as it was 'representative' game footage. If we're being honest that first field they showed was more interesting than most wilderness spaces in the game.

Literally all I need from this event is a Metroid Prime announcement or for someone to say the words 'Monster Hunter' and 'Switch' in English, in the same sentence. That's how low they've brought my expectations with this half-hour garbage. There better not be any amiibo or 2D platformers in there!

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Timppis

@Haru17

Because Switch is so full of quality 2D platformers?

I would love for new Donkey Kong Country or New Super Mario Bros.

Timppis

Haru17

@Timppis Wii U ports don't need to be in a only 30-minute-long Direct. Besides, the Switch has Shovel Knight. I don't want to see Nintendo spending their resources on a bunch of only decent 2D games when there are plenty of other, more interesting genres the system still is lacking in.

Timppis

@Haru17

NEW Donkey Kong Country or NEW Super Mario Bros. wouldn't be ports would they?

2D Platformers is what Nintendo does better than anyone else (Granted, Shovel Knight is a great game).

Donkey Kong Country Returns and Tropical Freeze were one of the best games I've ever played co-op.

Genres that Switch is still lacking is mainly due to the age of the system. I would love for many things, but alas Pikmin is still shrouded in mystery as well as AC.

Luckily at least Wargroove is coming to give me my strategy fix.

What they should do is announce Nobunagas Ambition and Romance of the Three Kingdoms localisations. That would be awesome.

Timppis

Haru17

@Timppis 2D platformer is the genre that no other AAA dev but Nintendo does, and for good reason. There are like 5 different SPRGs announced for or already on Switch. Disgaea 5 just released, and Fire Emblem is coming.

The system needs the first-person adventure genre of games. Skyrim is one re-release, but where are Arkane's games? What do the multiplayer shooter people play besides Splatoon? Mario Sports hasn't reached its heights in several years now, what's being made of Mario Baseball and Strikers? Action adventure games look like they're going to be non-existent after Mario and Zelda, is there anything else on that front? Racing after Mario Kart? If you wanna talk about Nintendo-only franchises, obviously Metroid or another metroidvania is what they need to show here.

skywake

I'm not reading through the whole thread but a few quick points worth making.

1. Them delaying online I don't see as the huge negative some are making it out to be. For a start we're talking a three month delay but it's also three months more where we don't have to pay for it. Swings and roundabouts. The second thing about it is that you can still play games online in the mean time. And lastly they also announced that the "free games" will be available as long as you're subscribed rather than just for a month.

2. Them putting "bad news" out before E3 is a standard thing that all companies do. This period now? Nobody outside of the Nintendo fandom is talking about them that much. Its why last year they came out before E3 and said that they were only talking about Zelda. The gaming media got the whine out of their system before E3. That's how it works. We got a Pokemon Direct now so we're not whining on message boards about no Pokemon Switch during E3.

3. 30mins isn't unusually short. This is the distribution of video lengths for the first 40 or so videos that show up when you type "Direct" into Nintendo's official youtube channel.
Untitled
~30mins is actually pretty typical for a Nintendo Direct. If you narrow it down to E3 directs? Then sure, 30mins is on the lower end of what they've done before. But how much that actually matters depends on what's in it and what's around it. Some of the best Nintendo Directs have only been ~35mins long. Nintendo's E3 2008 show is rightly regarded as one of their worst shows, it dragged on for over an hour.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Timppis

@Haru17

Ubi has done quite a bit of their 2D platformers and they are pretty much AAA dev. But yes, one could also argue that very few AAA makers make sports games either.

There are developers who have dominated their genres and there are genres that are under fierce competition, such as FPS.

First Person adventure genre is very popular right now, no denying that. It would be great to get some of those games to Switch but that doesn't seem likely at this point besides the aforementioned Skyrim.

Has Arkane at some point declared they would be doing games for Switch??

The multiplayer shooter people play on other consoles. Just like I play my sports games on other consoles, that's the unfortunate truth.

Mario Baseball... That would be one of the games to save E3 for me. Or Mario Football. Soccer is way too complicated to let Mario dapple with

Nintendo would benefit from all the genres you have mentioned, but to be fair they are limited in their own number of studios and developers. There isn't going to be active racing community on Switch besides MK. There isn't going to be enough players to justify WW2 or BattleFront for Switch.

The open world Star Wars game from EA. Another one of my wishful thinkings, just like Witcher studios new Cyberpunk or Bethesdas Starfield...

But man can hope

Mario sports really needs to come back though.

Edited on by Timppis

Timppis

Vriess

Mario Odyssey! Ok, it's great, I'll buy, now let's go home.

Vriess

Nintendo Network ID: kcvriess

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.