Forums

Topic: Anime & Manga (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

Posts 9,761 to 9,780 of 13,108

mamp

RWBY is coming back July 24th so excited!!! Who's looking forward to it?

The cat's the only cat who knows where it's at.
NNID: Muffin-Gun

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6586-7657

Blast

Kazuki Takahashi created Yugioh and I just know that guy is crazy rich. The first volumes of Yugioh is really good. Classic Yugioh manga had everything right. Its a shame Takahashi hasn't bothered to create anything new AT ALL. He just does constant Yugioh partnerships over and over which starts NEW Yugioh series like Zexal and 5'Ds. I wish he would stop being so lazy and actually created something new. Toriyama, King of the Dragonball, has tried very few new things. I'm also sure that guy is pretty dang rich. He created a silly Dragon Ball spinoff manga that starred some kind of blue creator that could turn Super Saiyan. LOL

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

kkslider5552000

Apparently he does this because people are gonna keep making Yugioh even if he steps away from it.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Blast

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Apparently he does this because people are gonna keep making Yugioh even if he steps away from it.

I think Takahashi just approves any Yugioh idea that comes his way. Yugioh 5'Ds REALLY needed help. That Yugioh series with Jaden wasn't that bad... the manga for Yugioh: Zexal actually doesn't suck.

He's making loads a cash from anime, manga, the CARDS, the GAMES, clothing....

But yet... he won't make ANYTHING NEW. The original Yugioh series has ended a long time ago!!!

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

shingi_70

He doesn't have to work a day in his life again and he seems to be cool with. Toriyama pretty much spends his days approving DBZ games and rehashing Dragion Quest art.

DC is putting up the Bat manga on a weekly basis with actual volumes later this year.
Untitled

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

TwilightV

Jaz007 wrote:

Does anyone else think Luffy isn't a pirate? He is just too good of a person. He doesn't hurt or steal innocent for his own selfish gain, and he's honest. He's just too good of a person to be a pirate. He claims to be a pirate, but doesn't have the stomach for it. He's really just a adventurer/treasure hunter. I really don't know how the show passes for a pirate anime (with regards to having a pirate protagonist).

This should make things clearer for you.
http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Pirate

Also, Luffy's not entirely good. For example, he conspired and "succeded" in stealing gold from the Shandians at the end of the Skypiea arc.

Edited on by TwilightV

TwilightV

Deviant_Mugen

Luffy's actions in Impel Down more than make up for his other non-pirate-like behavior...

"Don't make enemies, they'll stab your heart; don't make friends, they'll stab your back. Including me, including you, all men are trash. Don't love; don't be loved. Have nothing to do with other; live in isolation."

TheKingOfTown

Blast wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I think Takahashi just approves any Yugioh idea that comes his way. Yugioh 5'Ds REALLY needed help. That Yugioh series with Jaden wasn't that bad... the manga for Yugioh: Zexal actually doesn't suck.

He's making loads a cash from anime, manga, the CARDS, the GAMES, clothing....

But yet... he won't make ANYTHING NEW. The original Yugioh series has ended a long time ago!!!

Well, if he's rich, he has no reason to make anything new. I don't blame him.

Why do people point to their wrists when asking for the time, but don't point to their crotch when they ask where the bathroom is?

PSN ID: CTID16

3DS Friend Code: 1891-1201-0412 | Nintendo Network ID: TheKingOfTown

shingi_70

Yo @Caniswolfred

You watch Knights of Soodonis yet?

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

CanisWolfred

ArabPikachu wrote:

At first, I had a hard time understanding why many people wanted the Cell arc should have been the last one in DBZ but I now have an easy time wrapping my head around that idea. This isn't to say the Buu saga didn't introduce personally interesting concepts (ex: SS3 and Fusion characters).

On another note, I find it ridiculous how there are some people that say "DBZ should have ended with the Frieza arc". If DBZ ended with 2 arcs instead of 3, people would be complaining "it's over already?!" and DBZ wouldn't be able to outperform the original Dragon Ball in terms of success, lol.

But DBZ was never supposed to be the second half. It was the final arc, at least of Goku's story. Seriously, there was nowhere else to go once you've gone into space and saved pretty much the entire Universe from an Evil tyrant by achieving the absolutely height of your entire species, transcending that which could be called "Man" - at least nowhere else that would make sense and work as a part of the story that Dragon Ball originally was. Really, I feel like the Cell Saga working at all is more a credit to Akira Toriyama's skill as a writer more than anything else. Even if it was pretty much just the Frieza Saga all over again, but now with even more rediculous power-levels, and a much better Ending (thematically), IMO.

shingi_70 wrote:

Yo @Caniswolfred

You watch Knights of Sidonia yet?

Yes, I have. I haven't finished it yet, but it's been a great watch, minus a lot of little oddities that I personally feel don't add much to the story. You get used to them, though.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

TheKingOfTown

Well, the manga version has Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z together under one series. (but not in America, where even the manga is separated)

Why do people point to their wrists when asking for the time, but don't point to their crotch when they ask where the bathroom is?

PSN ID: CTID16

3DS Friend Code: 1891-1201-0412 | Nintendo Network ID: TheKingOfTown

Retro_on_theGo

Well me and my little brother finished Digimon Tamers. Gets me every time. We both cried at the end, lol. The dub is really good. In fact if it weren't for a few things I'd prefer it to the Japanese version.
Before now Adventure and Tamers were tied for my favorite but I think that was mostly nostalgia. Adventure was strong but Tamers is now my favorite.

Edited on by Retro_on_theGo

shingi_70

Wasn't dragonball supposed to be similar to JoJo where the cell saga was the end of Goku's story and if there was anymore after that it would have followed Gohan?

Also I had a question that I was wondering. But why do you guys prefer Manga to Western comics.

Edited on by shingi_70

WAT!

Sir_Diabeetus

That Jotaro's hat though on Jojo's Biazzare Adventures Stardust Crusaders. It's like it's becoming part of his hair or something.

[spoiler]I'm alive- wait no... I'm dead.[/spoiler]

Nintendo Network ID: Superninten13

shingi_70

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

Well me and my little brother finished Digimon Tamers. Gets me every time. We both cried at the end, lol. The dub is really good. In fact if it weren't for a few things I'd prefer it to the Japanese version.
Before now Adventure and Tamers were tied for my favorite but I think that was mostly nostalgia. Adventure was strong but Tamers is now my favorite.

Tamers >Adventure > Adventure II> Frontier > all the rest I haven't seen.

WAT!

kkslider5552000

shingi_70 wrote:

Also I had a question that I was wondering. But why do you guys prefer Manga to Western comics.

I never got into western comics. From what I know about at least mainstream comic book series, I probably wouldn't bother. Every series ever gets completely ruined at some point or another and starting at the beginning is a literally impossible task usually (ignoring the DC relaunch of course). Whereas with manga, I usually only have to worry about if a single writer declines in quality, which happens not that often imo.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

RR529

kkslider5552000 wrote:

shingi_70 wrote:

I never got into western comics. From what I know about at least mainstream comic book series, I probably wouldn't bother. Every series ever gets completely ruined at some point or another and starting at the beginning is a literally impossible task usually (ignoring the DC relaunch of course). Whereas with manga, I usually only have to worry about if a single writer declines in quality, which happens not that often imo.

I pretty much second this.

It's not that I don't like the ideas/characters in western comics (I usually enjoy the movies and cartoons), but I just never really got into them.

In addition to what was said above, I'm not sure how I'd like a series changing authors/artists multiple times throughout a run (whichs happens quite frequently in western comics, from what I understand). I'd hate to get into a series, only to have another writer come in and take it into a direction the original writer never intended to go (I'm not sure how much this actually happens, if at all, but I know I don't have to worry about it with manga, where the single author generally has an idea of where they want to take it from the beginning).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

shingi_70

Creative team switches tend to happen fairly a lot in superhero comics but not in indie and creator owned work like Saga, Watchmen, and Y the last man. Even with superhero comics you do get an ending with what that writer wants to do with the character.

I think the main advantage of having revolving art teams seeing interesting things done with characters or ideas. Plus seeing different artist tackle things is pretty good.

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

I sometimes manga had a more flowing approach. I'd say Naruto get the Pluto treatment.

Am I the only person who thinks Jojo stardust crusaders is inferior to Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency.

WAT!

CanisWolfred

I agree with the others here, and will add that I feel like Mainstream Western comics are too...unfocused. They're never made with a long-term end goal. I'm not saying they have to have the ending written down before they start, but trust me, stories tend to do better if you have a general goal that you're constantly inching your way towards, instead of just going from arc to arc, until you're forced to end it somehow, usually in a way that doesn't feel satisfying. I have this same problem with American TV shows, too. Not to say some manga/anime don't do that, too, but I usually hate those as well.

Obviously more obscure comics are better about that, but seriously, I have tried off and on for 8 years to find a good non-Mainstream comic that I enjoyed (and wasn't Scott Pilgrim, which is practically an American Manga), and I can't seem one...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic