Forums

Topic: Anime & Manga (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

Posts 11,401 to 11,420 of 13,108

RR529

In addition to keeping up with the new anime season, over the past couple weeks I watched through an anime called Cat Planet Cuties.

It's a generic harem at it's core, but the best thing is it knows it's cheesy, and plays to that fact. Yes, it is about a teenage boy who finds himself host to catgirls from space, but it relishes in the silliness of it all, with nods to retro B-Movie sci-fi tropes everywhere, and even randomly has cameos from the Sacred Blacksmith in one episode (which just happens to be another short anime I watched last year).

I think a lot of the credit should go to the localization team, as there were a torrent of cat-tastic puns, as well as nods to all sorts of old TV shows like Star Trek (especially Star Trek), I Dream of Genie, Bewitched, Charlie's Angels, and more. (I guess these could have been in the Japanese version, but for some reason I have a feeling most of these were added in the English release, to point out/get in on all the silliness of it all). Heck, there was even a dog who constantly laughed like Muttley from Whacky Racers (and was even called Muttrey).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

RR529

Oh man, the newest episode of Dragon Ball Super was actually awesome! Not just by DBS standards, either, but maybe even by overall Dragon Ball standards. The animation even looked a bit better too (it's not the main reason why it was so good, but it was nice).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RevolverLink

I'm watching Sailor Moon for the first time in nearly twenty years, and it's more fun than I remembered. Yeah, the plots are rather thin and repetitive (especially since the early going is so filler-heavy), but the characters are a delight, especially Usagi.

I've also watched the first two episodes of the Ace Attorney anime. It's not gonna win any awards for animation, but I was pleasantly surprised at just how faithful it is to the source material. Guess it helps that Shu Takumi himself is involved.

The Revloggery

Switch Friend Code: SW-4605-3581-8608 | 3DS Friend Code: 4339-3392-1142 | Nintendo Network ID: RevolverLink

Chibita64

I want to read/watch the works of the manga great Osamu Tezuka. He's considered the Walt Disney of manga, and I've been interested in his work, especially because many of my favorite manga artists cite him as an influence. I want to see Astro Boy, Unico, Black Jack, and Kimba the White Lion.

Edited on by Chibita64

Currently playing: J-Stars Victory VS. (PS4), Ms. Pac-Man (PS4), Mole Mania (GB/3DS), Kirby's Dream Land 3 (SNES/Wii)
Currently watching: Hack My Life, Impractical Jokers
YUGAMI NEE NA!

kkslider5552000

YoKaiSergio151 wrote:

I want to read/watch the works of the manga great Osamu Tezuka. He's considered the Walt Disney of manga, and I've been interested in his work, especially because many of my favorite manga artists cite him as an influence. I want to see Astro Boy, Unico, Black Jack, and Komba the White Lion.

So do I. Honestly I've considered for a while doing a crazy researched video series about his work. Probably would do it if I thought anyone would watch it.

I did see the first subbed episode of the original Astro Boy anime a while ago. It's good but also some of the craziest misunderstanding of "consistent tone" ever.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

WiiWareWave

@Megumi apparently a new season of Strike Witches will be airing this fall and will be simulcasted on Crunchyroll! So much hype! :F

Owner of http://www.WiiWareWave.com

PSN ID: Rukiafan7
NNID: Rukiafan7
Switch FC: SW-6328-7327-5891 ~WiiWareWav~

Switch Friend Code: SW-6328-7327-5891 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiafan7 | Twitter:

Joeynator3000

...Wut? o.o

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

WiiWareWave

I read an article about it on Anime Network the other day and am so hyped! Erica Hartmann FTW!

Owner of http://www.WiiWareWave.com

PSN ID: Rukiafan7
NNID: Rukiafan7
Switch FC: SW-6328-7327-5891 ~WiiWareWav~

Switch Friend Code: SW-6328-7327-5891 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiafan7 | Twitter:

Joeynator3000

...Last I heard a new season would be focusing on other witches instead of the 501st...so...o.o

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

RR529

Over the past few weeks I watched through the second season of Mobile Suit Gundam 00!

Overall, the series was quite good. I liked the designs of most of the mechs, though there were some I disliked(mostly in the second season). One thing I really enjoyed was all the different characters & their motivations (I'll honestly say that the various side characters, even the rivals & antagonists, are who I enjoyed the most. They ranged from the despicable to the genuinely likeable, and sometimes you just couldn't root against them, while other times I was so happy to see a specific character get their come uppance). Of course there were loads of quite epic large scale battles as well.

Apparently there is a movie as well, and while I'm quite interested in seeing it, I'm not quite sure where they'll go with it (hopefully they don't ruin the ending, which I was happy with).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Wheeler

Man, I'm really liking Freyja more:

Untitled
Wowow wowwowow

Wheeler

RR529

Over the past week (week & a half?) I watched Maken-Ki (first season).

It's the epitome of the standard fanservicy harem show, this one with a slight martial arts flair (and boy, is the fanservice ever over the top). Still, it was lighthearted & goofy, which is what I was wanting (though I can easily understand why they did it, some of the westernized slang obviously felt off).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Wheeler

Just started watching Non Non Biyori. Had it on my PTW list for quite some time now. Not really a fan of the slice of life genre, but so far the show has been pretty good without getting me bored or sleepy.

Wheeler

Undead_terror

Always gewd to rewatch something you haven't watched for years, recently a show I watched got a new season 10 years after the first...

Sp00ky scary skeleton back to play games and dew other fine things indead!
The Graveyard (Backloggery) l Nintendo ID: Undead_terror

Switch Friend Code: SW-8251-5734-1036 | 3DS Friend Code: 5198-2878-6360 | My Nintendo: Undead_terror | Nintendo Network ID: Undead_terror | Twitter:

RR529

Dimension W (on Toonami) finished up last night!

I liked it & all, however for some reason, it just never "stuck to me", if that makes any sense. This is the first time that I've also been keeping up with the new anime season as well however, so maybe that has something to do with it (too many different shows pulling at my attention). A good & interesting series, though.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Wheeler

Saw Macross Delta ep. 7 RAW. Freyja really is a strong contender for best girl of the season:
Untitled
Hope the subs come out today like last week, don't want to wait until tomorrow to watch it after coming back from my Japanese class.

Wheeler

Chibita64

I watched two videos of Gajin Goomba. One was how fandoms can ruin the anime industry, and one where he debated with another Youtuber about how moe hurts anime. If you haven't seen them, give em a watch. Although I do like moe anime I agreed with many of the points GG made in the debate video.

Currently playing: J-Stars Victory VS. (PS4), Ms. Pac-Man (PS4), Mole Mania (GB/3DS), Kirby's Dream Land 3 (SNES/Wii)
Currently watching: Hack My Life, Impractical Jokers
YUGAMI NEE NA!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic