Forums

Topic: All-Encompassing E3 2018 Thread

Posts 541 to 560 of 1,693

link3710

@Grumblevolcano I feel like after the initial surge of people sounding hurt, the general feeling I've been seeing about Star Fox Grand Prix being a thing has actually started to swing back positive. It's a good deal more like last year's Mario and Rabbids than the sadly never to be redeemed though quite fun Federation Force. Of course, that all depends on how the reveal goes...

link3710

Grumblevolcano

With Pokemon it's all down to how much Pokemon GO infects these new games.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

EvilLucario

Hopefully, Game Freak learns from Nintendo's 2017 that aiming to cater to the long-term fans in smart ways (Good: Mushroom Kingdom in Odyssey and all the more subtle call-backs. Bad: blatant pandering like Gens 6 and 7) works out extremely well. BotW went back to the Zelda 1 formula except supercharged it to the modern day, and Odyssey went back to the 64 formula and made all the right tweaks. And both of those games have been selling very well, being the best or fastest selling games in their series.

That said, a part of that most likely just has to do with the Switch being the next cool thing. Look at Splatoon 2, after all, and that still outsold Splatoon 1. Ah well.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Illusion

@Grumblevolcano the Switch games will be pokemon go simulators where you could swear you were really walking around outside trying to catch pokemon by force feeding them berries and throwing balls as hard as you can until they give up and become part of your collection.

Illusion

-Green-

approximately 23 days left

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

IceClimbers

So Skull and Bones got delayed to April 2019 or later. Not surprising in the slightest.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Octane

@IceClimbers 2019-2020. That doesn't sound like they're confident in a 2019 release either. I hope it's for the better and the game comes with an (offline) single player mode when it releases.

I like that Ubisoft is trying different things, but I'm not a fan of Ubisoft's always-online service games.

Octane

chiefeagle02

I'm just hoping for Fallout or Diablo III for the Switch.

"The only Zen you find on tops of mountains is the Zen you bring there." -Robert Pirsig

3DS Friend Code: 5370-0551-8551 | My Nintendo: chiefeagle02 | Nintendo Network ID: chiefeagle02 | Twitter:

Megas75

IceClimbers wrote:

So Skull and Bones got delayed to April 2019 or later. Not surprising in the slightest.

Completely forgot about that game. I always thought it only existed to ride the hype of Sea Of Thieves, which vanished quickly after it turned out to be underwhelming

Steam/NNID/Xbox Gamertag - Megas75

FragRed

@IceClimbers @Megas75 @Octane To me it sounds like after the release of Sea of Thieves, Ubisoft got cold feet with their own pirates game and decided to delay in order to do extensive redesigning. Sea of Thieves as an idea sounded great but in practice was underwhelming, so I’m guessing Ubisoft developing a game with even less to do would’ve come off poorly critically and sales wise. Just a thought, maybe I’m totally wrong.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Maxz

@EvilLucario Splatoon 2 refined on a predecessor that practically invented a genre. The pressure on it to massively innovate on the forumula of a game that was already massively innovative and game out only two years previously is different from that of a series that has been around for over 20 years and more of less stuck to its guns.

Not only that, but it has continued to grow significantly since launch, just as the first game did, but starting from a much more complete package. Not only does it boast 'all new specials', but now also a huge variety of new weapons, a new PvP mode, a new PvE new ranking system, new rank, improved Splatfests, new abilities, a huge amount of new gear, a much beefier story mode, and now (admittedly at a cost), a brand new chunky expansion for said story mode.

The 'Splatoon 1.5' meme was always a big iffy, but is now looking plain silly. Anyone who played the original knew that the Day 1 package was merely the seed of the game, and that it would grow from there.

Splatoon 2 has sold well because an it's excellent advancement of one of the Wii U's boldest and best games. It's continued to grow well beyond the scope of its predecessor, and I don't feel its success ought to be lamented as a sign of 'the status quo sells'.

I might have completely got the wrong end of the stick, but basically I think Splatoon 2 is brilliant, and the culmination of some of the boldest thinking Nintendo has produced in the last decade. The jump between 1 and 2 obviously isn't as wide as BotW and its predecessors, but given that the original came out of nowhere full to the brim with new ideas, I don't think the sequel can rightly be faulted for being derivative.

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

EvilLucario

@Maxz Oh, I wasn't trying to imply the Splatoon 1.5 nonsense. I was more getting at that sometimes, going back to what worked in the past and implementing that in modern game design is the way to go. Like BotW being Zelda 1 but way better, Odyssey being 64 but way better, etc. I was more thinking along the lines of "mixing old game design with new game design". For a third-party example, Doom 2016 is also an excellent example.

Splatoon 2 is more along the lines of a traditional sequel in comparison, taking Splatoon 1 and refining it in the right places.

I might have used Splatoon as a poor example there, but that's basically what I was getting at.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Maxz

@EvilLucario Thanks for explaining, and sorry to go into full 'Splatoon 2 defence mode'.

Yes, I think you're absolutely right. Those games are all difficult to describe as direct 'remakes' of any game in their respective franchises, but we're seemingly all driven by reexamining what earlier titles were trying to achieve, and reimagining that in a modern context.

Splatoon 2 is definitely a direct and traditional 'sequel'. It's even set two years ahead in the same world, representing a clear linear progression from the first game.

I'm just a bit uptight about all the people who tried the Test-Fire about a year ago, decided it was 'Splatoon 1.5' and then never reexamined their position. So I'm sorry you were on the receiving end of an argument I was largely having against people from about a year ago!

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

Haru17

Ubisoft announced everything that was in any way presentable last year to prevent Vivendi from canceling them internally if they took over.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

EvilLucario

@Maxz Yeah, people that jump to conclusions without research into their games are just mind-boggling. Ah well.

Octane

@Megas75 @FragRed I don't think Sea of Thieves had anything to do with it. They're completely different games (if anything, it got compared to Black Flag, without the Assassin's Creed part).

Last time they showed the game was at E3 last year. If it was on track to release this year, we would've had another trailer or two by now. It was never coming out this year, regardless of how well Sea of Thieves would have performed.

Octane

Grumblevolcano

Less than 3 weeks until the conferences begin.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Octane

Grumblevolcano wrote:

Less than 3 weeks until the conferences battles begin.

Let's go!

Octane

-Green-

Captain @Octane shall I ready the port side defenses?!

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Octane

@-Green- Arr!! Where arr the scallywags who're keeping starboard and the dungbie of ourr Majesty's in check?

Octane

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.