Forums

Topic: So, You Can Now Ignore Users

Posts 261 to 280 of 473

Eel

@VoidofLight how about you try sending a description and screenshot of your experience using the contact form? I'm sure they'll appreciate the feedback, and that way you don't need to out the person publicly.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

link3710

@VoidofLight Just copy the url and open it up an an incognito window, that's what I do when context is missing.

link3710

VoidofLight

@Eel alright, I'll try that. Thanks.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

skywake

I've only ever ignored one user (I think) and it was only because I thought interactions with that person had become unproductive. Generally how I've used the feature elsewhere on the internet. Rarely and because interactions with that user and me were becoming disruptive to the thread... beyond even my high tolerance for disruption

It'd almost be better if it was just a way to pause notifications for that specific user and at most hide their posts from me. I don't see how hiding my posts from them helps.... If that's how it works though ignore me (although no need to literally ignore me)

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
An opinion is only respectable if it can be defended. Respect people, not opinions

Eel

@blindsquarel that would be the "ignore" function. It already exists.

What happened here is a "block". In this case, both users stop seeing each other's posts.

This is to prevent the blocked person from fruitlessly trying to interact with the other person, since that could quickly evolve into harassment.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

blindsquirrel

@Eel
Yes I know. What I’m trying to say is merge the two systems. So you don’t lose context of a thread but you still can’t reply to them. I have deleted my comment just barely and put it in the suggestions for the site thread.

Currently playing: Pokemon Soul Silver, Mario RPG
Enos 1:15

VoidofLight

@link3710 Ah, I didn't think of that. I'll probably do that at some point.

blindsquirrel

@skywake
I blocked one that was trying to sell crypto. The rest I just block for a few days so we can both move on from the thread.

Currently playing: Pokemon Soul Silver, Mario RPG
Enos 1:15

Snatcher

@VoidofLight What did they say you should do?

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

I’m very much alive!

Current obsession: Persona 3 reload.

VoidofLight

@Snatcher Link? They told me just to open the page in Incognito in order to get the context, since it's easier to do so that way.

Snatcher

@VoidofLight That is a good idea!

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

I’m very much alive!

Current obsession: Persona 3 reload.

Tasuki

@VoidofLight if you just log out and don't login you the person is no longer blocked. You can see the full conversation that way and then log back in and respond.

Edited on by Tasuki

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Pizzamorg

On the one hand I am sorry more people are having a bad time, however, on the other, the more people complain about how poorly implemented the ignore feature is on this forum, hopefully the more likely it'll be tweaked. You'll always have some Hat going on some tirade about the benefits of the feature and for sure it is beneficial on paper, but the execution here basically breaks the forum experience for the person who is ignored and this seems wrong to me.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Eel

Please don’t make a habit of using workarounds to view comments from people that don’t want you to see their comments.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Pizzamorg

Eel wrote:

Please don’t make a habit of using workarounds to view comments from people that don’t want you to see their comments.

So you think it's fine then that people have to sit there as a conversation goes on around them and they are excluded? The ignored user isn't banned, so they shouldn't be punished. If there is a work around I don't see why they can't use them.

VoidofLight

I mean, if we want actual full context to a conversation, we aren't left with much choice, unless we just don't talk in threads with those conversations ongoing. I can see how harassment can happen through people seeing messages when someone's blocked them, but there has to be some other way that's more beneficial, without making it harder to read and respond to others having a conversation with the one individual.

Eel

You can be part of a conversation without interacting with every person participating.

This is a public forum. Not a penpal program.

Bloop.

Pizzamorg

Eel wrote:

You can be part of a conversation without interacting with every person participating.

This is a public forum. Not a penpal program.

How can you be part of a conversation when half of the conversation you can't see?

Pizzamorg

Eel wrote:

By interacting with the half you can see?

So in the middle of someone having a conversation you're just gonna go "Hi, I have no idea what the context of this discussion is at all as I can't see it, but this is my opinion on X, is that what you are talking about?"

"No."

The irony is your flippant comment about how this is a forum and not a place for penpals or whatever is exactly the reason this is problematic. This isn't some vast social media platform where an ignored user disappears into a void, on a small forum - a place for discussion - being ignored by just one user, especially if they are an active user, in it's current implementation breaks the forum for the person who is ignored for exactly the reasons Void said, and I said before them, and probably someone said before me and so on.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic