Forums

Topic: So, You Can Now Ignore Users

Posts 241 to 260 of 473

Pizzamorg

Snatcher wrote:

@Pizzamorg Wait what changes were made?

Previously if a person ignored you, every thread they made would disappear from the index. You could still access and interact with the thread, but you'd only be able to find it if you had a link already. Now that doesn't happen anymore.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Snatcher

@Pizzamorg Oh thats great, thanks.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

Pizzamorg

Which is kinda the point I made in my wider post.

An ignore feature, in isolation, is a good thing but if it actively breaks the forum experience for the person on the ignore list, then that just seems kinda *****? Like arguably the stuff in my original post are less disruptive than the thread issue, so I am glad that is resolved, but I don't get why being ignored by users should have to make the ignored person's experience of browsing the forum actively worse.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Snatcher

@Pizzamorg Its pretty messed up NGL.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

Tasuki

@Eel No not every users. If someone blocks someone for harassing them then yes they should be banned as they are clearly harassing the user. But someone just block someone for no reason that's where the problem lies.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Ryu_Niiyama

@Tasuki I don't agree with your analogy because again, no one is asking you to leave. If you go to a park people are in a public space and usually having private conversations. You can walk up if you want, but they don't have to talk to you. If you are on an ignore list or blocked then that person moves away when you walk up (or ignores you). And public space doesn't mean that conversations can't flow around you or that you don't have a TOS to adhere to. Public does not mean carte blanch to do whatever you want, it means that the public can congregate and are expected to govern themselves in such a way that authorities don't have to be called to keep lawful order. The other option is we all start reporting each other and ban hammers get swung or people are driven away from the site. That's not fair either. Are you that desperate to talk to someone that wants nothing to do with you? Why does it weigh so heavily? I have a pretty stuffed ignore list and I am still able to keep up with convos that I care to engage in. And the few times I've been here while logged out...I didn't miss anything while having the ability to see some of those people's posts....usually I just scrolled right past them asap.

however, I think it will be best to agree to disagree because you and I have a fundamentally different view on human interactions be it in a public or private space. So I'm going to leave it alone. I'm super grateful for the block and ignore features as it made this place way less toxic and unsafe to me. I have no issues being left out of conversations if it means that I don't have to worry about someone harassing me or reading someone's crappost.

@Eel Sorry that is my last response on the matter.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Tasuki

@Ryu_Niiyama Agree I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this matter. Obviously your idea of public and mine are different. The one thing I don't understand is the banning of people if someone is truly harassing you wouldn't you want them banned obviously they ain't using the site how it's attended to be used and instead is using it maliciously.

Any I agree this is the end still I believe it's not right and shouldn't be a thing at all. It's great that you enjoy it, but unfortunately I can't behind a system like this.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

dmcc0

@Tasuki You have to consider that everyone has different reasons for ignoring or blocking users too - not necessarily because they've said something wrong, had a disagreement with them or being harassed by them.

I'm not going to name them, but I've got users on my blocked/ignore list (mostly on Pure Xbox TBH) because it seemed like every post was just a link to a video and nothing else, or others that seemed like they were only every trying to start a flame war with every comment. I've even got a couple on there that I just don't like their posting style (always presenting their opinion as fact, walls of text that I can't be bothered reading etc.). It's not like any of them have done anything wrong, I just don't want to read their posts and I'm glad I have that option. Sure, I could just skip over them any time I see them, but it's more convenient for me just to block/ignore and not see them at all.

dmcc0

VoidofLight

aaaanyways, I feel like people blocking you from seeing their messages isn't really a good thing, seeing as how if it's someone incredibly active, you're kind of robbed of context within a discussion they involve themselves in.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

VoidofLight

@WoomyNNYes Well, it legit makes it hard for me to get any context for conversations now, since a really active user blocked me, and I can't read the start of conversations, so I can't enter said conversations.

Edit: Doesn't help that I wasn't given a reason for why I was blocked in the first place.

Edited on by VoidofLight

Snatcher

@VoidofLight In theory, it works like it was said to on paper, But, in practice? Its actually presented a lot of problems, just look at the past post on this thread.

VoidofLight

@Snatcher Yeah. People can get blocked for absolutely no reason at all, and the function can be abused. I get people like it, but until you get hit by it yourself, you don't really start to consider the issues that come with this sort of system.

Anti-Matter

Users with have tendency "I'm here to not making friends." will likely block anybody if they don't want to socialize with certain users for disliking the other users behavior or their comments. It was like "I don't know you, I don't like you, I don't want to talk with you. Don't apologize to me, I don't care about you. Do shut up."

Anti-Matter

blindsquirrel

Why won’t it just not let you reply to said users comment. That would fix the whole system.

Currently playing: Pokemon Soul Silver, Mario RPG
Enos 1:15

VoidofLight

@blindsquarel Exactly. Allow someone to see the comment, but not have the ability to reply, so they save the confusion whilst giving people context to the conversation.

Eel

There's nothing to be confused about, the person simply decided they don't want you to interact with them.

I get it that it's hurtful to realize that there's some people that don't want to socialize with you, but I think the best thing would be simply stop giving them a place in your mind, and let things be. Pretending like the blocking system is some sort of targeted injustice, will only sour your experience.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

VoidofLight

@Eel That's the thing, I don't really care they blocked me. I moreso care that I can't participate in conversations within threads they're active in, given I lack context to contribute, so I'll end up causing the thread's topic to derail or end up saying something that has already been said before me. It's a hinderance to actual conversations outside of interactions with that one single person.

It'd be nice to know why I was blocked, but that's not the main reason I don't think this system is great. There's just more to it than "Wah this person blocked me, this person's mean!".

Edited on by VoidofLight

Eel

Let's wait until that becomes an actual problem.

The site is large and there's many people to talk with, conversations here don't need to hinge on a single person.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

VoidofLight

@Eel I mean, in the direct thread, I had that issue. I couldn't contribute to the conversation at hand because I didn't understand the context of what was going on within the thread.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic