Kingdom Hearts 3D Flows Into UK Top Ten

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Dreaming of top spot

Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance was a high-profile arrival in Europe last week, bringing the popular franchise to the current generation of handhelds. Square Enix and Nintendo — the latter dealing with distribution in PAL regions — invested plenty of hype, particularly online, behind the title; has it paid off?

The result is a positive one, with Sora and Riku's adventure charting at six in the UK all-format chart, with UKIE confirming that it's the second biggest 3DS launch in the country in 2012, beaten only be Resident Evil: Revelations. That statistic alone means that it has out-performed Nintendo first-party releases this year, which isn't to be sniffed at.

Only three other titles exclusive to Nintendo systems make an appearance in the top 40, with evergreen Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games coming in 8th place, while Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario 3D Land are 24th and 28th respectively.

It's evidence that 3DS is still struggling to hog the limelight in the UK, with so few entries in the top 40. Nintendo is no doubt hoping that the launch of 3DS XL and two new titles this week will help to boost the system's profile.

[via ukie.info]

JustAnotherUser

JustAnotherUser said:

Jiminy Cricket! That's good.
Glad to hear it's selling well.
It's on my already long list of games to buy but I hope to pick it up in a year or so.

Banker-Style

Banker-Style said:

I'm pretty surprised by that.
I haven't got this yet,but I'm waiting to see if I get a 3DS XL first.

Araknie

Araknie said:

For the staff: Europe chartz will not count much because the game will not be released in Spain and Italy, they joy of having a company named Halifax...
I'm in Italy and i had to order this from a famous UK site, let's put it this way. asd
It will arrive tomorrow or the day after...

hydeks

hydeks said:

glad to hear it's selling! I gotta admit, at first having this game on Nintendo 3DS didn't seem like a great fit, but I've played it and loved the game!! Hopefully nintendo gets more series like this on there consoles.

luminalace

luminalace said:

Wow it's quite clear that Kingdom Hearts has quite the loyal following. Well done to square!

DeMoN-13ruce

DeMoN-13ruce said:

rlly good game the graphics are stunning for a 3ds game:o and the gameplayis very cool:Dgood work square or should i say nomura

Marakuto

Marakuto said:

Wow I'm silly I could've bought the game today, if it wasn't for seeing the Olympic torch passing by in my city today I could've gone afterwards. :(

Emaan