Mario & Sonic to Face Off Again at London 2012 Olympics

Posted by James Newton

Wii and 3DS on the podium

Sonic Generations may not be heading to Nintendo platforms but fans of the spiky one won't be without a new game to buy this year, as SEGA has announced Mario and Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games for Wii and Nintendo 3DS.

The game will contain 50 Olympic-themed events, some of which will be familiar from past entries — table tennis, athletics and aquatic sports all return, alongside new events including football (soccer) and equestrian events. Quite how a hedgehog will be able to ride a horse is something we look forward to seeing when the games release later this year.

Sadly there's no DS version on the cards, but you can bank on seeing the game hit 3DS and Wii just before the busy Christmas rush. To celebrate, here's a picture of Mario and Sonic in front of a famous London landmark and a press release too.

TOKYO (April 21, 2011) – SEGA® Corporation and Nintendo Co., Ltd. today announced that the record breaking partnership of Mario™ and Sonic™ will once again join forces on the Wii™ home video game system and, for the first time ever, on the Nintendo 3DS™ . Over 19 million people worldwide have bought video games from the Mario and Sonic series, and now the much loved duo are heading to London to participate in the officially licensed Olympic-themed video game, Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games™.

A host of exciting new headline events, including football and equestrian will debut on the Wii version appearing alongside classic Olympic disciplines, such as athletics, aquatics and table tennis. These new sports are sure to ignite even more fierce competition between friends and family in both single and multiplayer modes! The all new roster of Dream events that are set in popular Mario and Sonic worlds make for a truly unique sporting experience that can only be found in Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games™.

Arriving on Nintendo’s new handheld system for the first time ever Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games™ contains over 50 original Olympic themed events playable in both single and multiplayer modes. Bringing a whole new dimension to the Mario & Sonic universe, the glasses-free 3D visuals and the unique control systems mean there are plenty of new and exciting ways to compete for a coveted gold medal!

As with its predecessors, Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games™ for the Wii and Nintendo 3DS is being developed by SEGA Japan and is published by SEGA® across Europe and North America, and by Nintendo in the Japanese market. Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games™ is licensed through a worldwide partnership with International Sports Multimedia (ISM), the exclusive interactive entertainment software licensee of the International Olympic Committee (IOC).

“Mario and Sonic have had a phenomenally successful partnership and we are extremely proud to be able to recreate this once again with Nintendo and ISM for the London 2012 Olympic Games” commented Naoya Tsurumi, Chairman for SEGA of America and SEGA Europe. “It is truly exciting to be in the position to develop interactive entertainment software titles based on the Olympic Games, and for Sonic and Mario to once again be a part of this historic event.”

“The London 2012 Olympic Games will be a sporting showcase that will embrace the world and we are delighted to have Mario and Sonic competing once again, this time in the largest number of Olympic sports ever” says Raymond Goldsmith, Chairman & CEO of ISM.

"These games bring together two of the most beloved characters in the history of the video game industry in Mario and Sonic," said Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime. "As veterans of both video games and Olympic games, they'll arrive in London as a formidable team to provide fun, competitive sporting activities that friends and family members can enjoy together."

Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games™ will be available on the Wii™ home video game system and the Nintendo 3DS™. A launch date will be announced later in the year.

Related Games

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

All you London users keep your eyes peeled for a blue hedgehog and a pudgy red plumber duking it out! XD

andyutd97

andyutd97 said:

Meh Ive already read about it on the forums. Thumbs up to the person who put it on the forums about 2-3 weeks ago.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

@TwilightV: I know what you mean I cant believe that the London games are almost here just seems like yesturday that the games ended in China.

These games are alot of fun and I look foward to checking this one out.

TheBaconator

TheBaconator said:

If it came out on the 3DS next month I would buy it in a heartbeat, but since it is coming out sometime in months to come when there is more to do on the 3DS, I probably won't get it.

Mikau94

Mikau94 said:

NOOOO, why must we get Mario vs. Sonic while everyone else gets Sonic Generations?

Punny

Punny said:

I wanted Sonic Generations, but this is pretty cool, too. I hope there are Dream Events based on Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Sonic Colors! :)

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

The sad thing about Sonic nowadays though? Mario & Sonic at the Olympics will probably be better than Sonic Generations. Oh well. WE got Sonic Colors. MWAHAHAHAHA!!!

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

I'm a huge fan of the Mario&Sonic games so I'm very much looking forward to this. How come its coming out this year instead of 2012? Is it because Sega want to release it for the Wii instead of the Wii 2?

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

I hope this turns out fine, never have played a Mario Vs. Sonic game before. I would be interested in a 3DS version too.

Henmii

Henmii said:

"Sonic Generations may not be heading to Nintendo platforms but fans of the spiky one won't be without a new game to buy this year, as SEGA has announced Mario and Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games for Wii and Nintendo 3DS"

Meh! I want Generations!!

jaffa

jaffa said:

I did enjoy the first Mario and Sonic at the Olympics

so I might get this one

James

James said:

@LEGEND MARIOID The previous Olympic releases have all come out at Christmas time for mega sales. Same will happen here :)

Tediz64

Tediz64 said:

Mario and sonic were rivals ... all of a sudden there best friends.... i thought sonics best friend was tails and marios was yoshi..... forget toad hes stupid....these games i neverliked at all

James

James said:

Is it just me that really likes these games? Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games was aces!

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

One or two odd comments above. Well, that's the interent for you folks - ahem.

Most of the ppl I know love the Mario and Sonic series. I'm a big fan too. They are higly regarded by RELIABLE reviewers as far as I know (yeah, I know about metacritic's troll reviewer caluclations for this game). Qulaity sports game collection for definate! Cannot wait.

sonic_brawler95

sonic_brawler95 said:

Your not alone James, I also like the Mario and Sonic Olympics series. I wasn't too fond of the Wii versions, but the DS versions were great, especially the Winter Games (the first one nearly destroyed my touchscreen). I'll deffinally be picking up the 3DS version. :)