E3 2010: Two New Professor Layton Mysteries On the Way

Posted by James Newton

One for DS and one for 3DS from Level 5 (updated with trailer)

The first Professor Layton was a huge crossover hit all over the world, bringing non-gamers to the DS in droves, enchanted by its blend of puzzle and adventure in a rather whimsical shell. Last year's Pandora's Box was every bit as good, and now the saga continues with two more mysteries for the top-hat professor to get his head around.

First for DS is Professor Layton and the Unwound Future, in which the Professor receives a letter from his faithful sidekick Luke. Sounds exciting, but it gets better: the letter is from Luke ten years in the future, painting a picture of a London thrown into disarray. With 165 new puzzles, "significantly more" hand-drawn animations and voiceovers as well as a continuation of the series' support for puzzle downloads, Mystery of the Unwound Future looks like being another slick entry in the series. Check out the screenshots over at the game page now, and check out the first trailer below:

After that comes Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle, a temporary title, coming to the 3DS. Although far less is known about this one, the released screenshots show the Professor and his accomplice building a robot and exploring some form of carnival wasteland.

Having two Professor Layton games in its portfolio could be a very smart move for Nintendo: the first two titles have sold gangbusters in Western territories, and if any title is likely to convince the extended market that 3DS is something it needs then it could well be the top hat professor and his flat cap-wearing assistant. Stay tuned as we'll definitely have more on these titles as they develop.

Kidpit

Kidpit said:

Odd, according to Wikipedia, "The Unwound Future" is the 3rd game in the series and "The Mask of Miracle" is the 5th. So since "Mask" already has an english translation according to the screenshots, are they skipping the 4th game, "The Specter's Flute"?

fishman100

fishman100 said:

I'm glad to hear this because I was really hoping that they would bring the Unwound Future to the US. From the various Youtube vids I've seen, it looks SWEET.

WarioFan63

WarioFan63 said:

I don't think their gonna skip number 4. I imagine Layton 5 and 6 will be 3DS now. And Level-5 being a badass decided to localize the fifth one for E3 purposes.

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

I love the Professor Layton games so this is fantastic news for me. Now, if only Level 5 would bring Ni no Kuni: The Another World to the 3DS. That would make me extremely happy.

Outrunner

Outrunner said:

I wonder if they'll perform a satanic ritual to assure good sales with these ones too... If you don't believe me read the interview about Pandoras Box in ONM.

Karakato

Karakato said:

@13 Actually the fourth game was released in japan months ago. It was called Layton and the Devil's Flute. It is a prequel to the 1st three layton games and hasn't been announced for a US release

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

professor layton and the unwound flute is my most anticipated ds game but what happened to the fourth game? Mask of miracles is the fith.

EdEN

EdEN said:

@Kidpit: They'll release part 3 in september. I don't see the 3DS one (part 5) as a launch title and thus they can release part 4 in June- July 2011 before part 5 is available. Or they could just make part 4 a 3DS title as well.

ASDFGHJKL

ASDFGHJKL said:

Wait, Level-5 Publishes Proffessor Layton? I thought Nintendo published while Level-5 developed....