Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Posts 2,921 to 2,940 of 15,210

Dezzy

Nothing of importance, just people responding to Morpheel's comment (lol sorry Morpheel)

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Haru17

I don't really see the point of making a game look like the Wind Waker on an 8th gen console. Zelda U already has clear Wind Waker inspirations in the color schemes and character designs (judging from Link & untitled-like-the-game horse.) Just look out across the world and you'll see a brightly-colored open world with bold coloration from the day/night cycle; just like the Wind Waker. Frankly, it would be a shame if they removed the amount of painstaking, beautiful detail that Zelda U already shows to make it resemble the Wind Waker.

If there was a Zelda game that could benefit from the Wind Waker's art design it would be the 2D series, because Jesus-God does every 3D model in the ALBW style look gross.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Benjelo

Personally, I would prefer a twilight princess art style ( but in HD of course). When I first saw the Legend of Zelda demo at e3 2012, I was really glad because I thought they were switching back to Twilight Princess-like art style. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_fyOkrteqM) thats the video in case your wondering). I'm okay with this art style but I really prefer a more realistic look.

FC(3ds):2423-1966-6724
"I would seek unto God, and unto God would I commit my cause." Job 5:8

3DS Friend Code: 2423-1966-6724 | Nintendo Network ID: Benjelo

Tubalcain

@Haru17: maybe its because its easier and cheaper to work with cell shading than realistic textures. and maybe because its easier to achieve good performance on the WiiU since you dont have to make so many bump maps, tessellation could be kept at a minimum, textures dont need to be so detailed etc etc. or maybe im wrong.

Tubalcain

Haru17

Tubalcain wrote:

maybe its because its easier and cheaper to work with cell shading than realistic textures. and maybe because its easier to achieve good performance on the WiiU since you dont have to make so many bump maps, tessellation could be kept at a minimum, textures dont need to be so detailed etc etc. or maybe im wrong.

I can understand 'easy' if you're an indie game, but this is an AAA game; Zelda at that. When the games didn't perform on platforms Nintendo just made it work, presumably through programming none of us understand. It's not like Zelda U is some impossible technical feat and the Wii U is a potato battery.

But of Twilight Princess' art style, that is my literal favorite game, but I think that it too should stay with Twilight Princess. The stylized character faces looked realistic in 480p, but not on 8th+ gen. Also, many bloom effects could be made more defined and clearer with current hardware. I would love for Zelda to go back to a more naturalistic style some day, but I'm happy with Zelda U's stylistic compromise for now.

CaviarMeths

Haru17 wrote:

but I'm happy with Zelda U's stylistic compromise for now.

Is "compromise" the correct word?

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Haru17

CaviarMeths wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

but I'm happy with Zelda U's stylistic compromise for now.

Is "compromise" the correct word?

Are you from the US? Compromise isn't supposed to have a negative connotation.

What I mean is that Zelda U's aesthetic is a 'compromise' between the visual realism & environmental complexity of Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess and the more impressionistic character designs & simpler, cleaner world of the Wind Waker.

Dezzy

Yes it is.
Compromise: an agreement or settlement of a dispute that is reached by each side making concessions. (google)

Haru17

Dezzy wrote:

Yes it is.
Compromise: an agreement or settlement of a dispute that is reached by each side making concessions. (google)

That does not mean there is supposed to be a negative connotation to the word. It just means that it isn't extreme on either side; a middle ground just like Zelda U's art style.

CaviarMeths

Sorry, I had assumed a negative connotation is all. My bad. I don't want this to become another dictionary argument.

And I'm not American.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Dezzy

Argumentum Ad Dictionarium

Haru17

CaviarMeths wrote:

Sorry, I had assumed a negative connotation is all. My bad. I don't want this to become another dictionary argument.

Good, one should not have to fight just to convince others to accept the denotation of their words.

Hendesu

The lack of news for Zelda U is honestly surprising. They must really don't want to reveal the plot. Or they're just early in development.

Some random dude on Nintendo Life.
Toriel left for a while, so Freaky Fred took over her place!
Not changing this part of the signature until Nintendo announces Super Mario Sunshine 2.
[Started 10/31/15]

Nintendo Network ID: DarkSperow

Haru17

NightmareEater wrote:

The lack of news for Zelda U is honestly surprising. They must really don't want to reveal the plot. Or they're just early in development.

I wonder; has there been a Zelda cycle sparser than this since Ocarina of Time? I remember Skyward Sword had a year of only lying concept art.

CaviarMeths

NightmareEater wrote:

Come on, early in development? Game's been in active development for about 4 years.

Benjelo

@NightmareEater: I think that they are just trying to make 2016 a big year for the wii u. It's the last year before the NX (I think) so they want to get as many people to buy it right before they move to the next console. That might just happen considering the games coming out next year.

Edited on by Benjelo

FC(3ds):2423-1966-6724
"I would seek unto God, and unto God would I commit my cause." Job 5:8

3DS Friend Code: 2423-1966-6724 | Nintendo Network ID: Benjelo

Dezzy

@Benjelo

And which games are those?

Haru17

Dezzy wrote:

@Benjelo

And which games are those?

Zelda U... yeah, that one.

erv

And the "countdown to nx App" of course.

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

jump

Benjelo wrote:

: I think that they are just trying to make 2016 a big year for the wii u. It's the last year before the NX (I think) so they want to get as many people to buy it right before they move to the next console. That might just happen considering the games coming out next year.

2016 is also 30 years since the first Zelda game so they may try milking that a bit too.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic