Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Posts 1,261 to 1,280 of 15,210

cookiex

TingLz wrote:

...why?

I concur. Given that Link is literally a different person in every single game it's not like showing his parents here is going to add anything to the franchise as a whole.

And Ocarina of Time already pulled that stunt. Link's parents went the Disney way before the game even began.

Edited on by cookiex

cookiex
Self-appointed NintendoLife Hyrule Warriors ambassador

Blast

TingLz wrote:

...why?

He's a cool guy and I wanna know his actual background. A Link to the Past, Wind Waker and Ocarina of Time had interesting background story for Link.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

CaviarMeths

TingLz wrote:

...why?

So that LoZ is more like a shounen manga? Idk.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

iKhan

Blast wrote:

TingLz wrote:

...why?

He's a cool guy and I wanna know his actual background. A Link to the Past, Wind Waker and Ocarina of Time had interesting background story for Link.

I don't want Link to become too much of his own person. That was a big issue with SS.

Having parents is fine, but it needs to be done in a relatable fashion like with Grandma and Aryl in WW.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Dezzy

iKhan wrote:

I don't want Link to become too much of his own person. That was a big issue with SS.

Having parents is fine, but it needs to be done in a relatable fashion like with Grandma and Aryl in WW.

I agree with that. I think Link just works as an avatar for the player. The more you define him, the fewer people will be able to imagine they're him.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Haru17

iKhan wrote:

Blast wrote:

TingLz wrote:

...why?

No, the issue with Skyward Sword's story was treating Link and Zelda as characters when they had next to no character development. They can be good characters, like Link in the Wind Waker, if you let them develop and not have the same flat expression constantly. Namely, if you let them speak. Y'know, that thing humans do.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Blast

I would like Link to at least scream "NO!" at a bad guy or just something. Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess had moments where I truly wished Link spoke just something.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

JoyBoy

Yeah, like "NO!" and then Link punches him in the face. It'll be a blast!

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

CaviarMeths

Spanjard wrote:

Yeah, like "NO!" and then Link punches him in the face. It'll be a blast!

I want it to be like "NO!" and then Link does his epic sword finishing move. Then he looks down and says to himself "Have I made you proud, father?"

It'll be great.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

jump

I hope Ninty trolls eveyone by announcing it will have full voice acting only for people to discover on release day it's the Hylian language with no subs.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Haru17

Silent protagonists just don't work in modern games where cutscenes have actual shot composition, etc. It just looks so dang awkward! I'm really worried about the silent protagonist in X, but it hasn't worked well in the 3D Zelda games either. Ever since Ocarina's verisimilitude in not only art style, but also with the newfound third dimension representing the world realistically, the 3D Zelda games are always so awkward when Link interacts with so many people without uttering a word. It's especially odd, since it's canon that can talk in the games themselves. Be it dialogue options, relating information, or the implied conversation that buying something from a shop entails.

CaviarMeths

arronishere wrote:

I hope Ninty trolls eveyone by announcing it will have full voice acting only for people to discover on release day it's the Hylian language with no subs.

How would it have no subs though? We've been reading the dialogue in Zelda games for the last 27 years.

Otherwise, I'd be cool with that. Pull a Tolkein and make an entire language, and all spoken dialogue in that language. Still think Link should be limited to grunts and stuff though. Wind Waker did a great job at letting Link express himself with no words. I didn't find it awkward at all.

For a modern example, take Groot in Guardians of the Galaxy. He had more personality and charm than Superman did in Man of Steel with only a single line of dialogue.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

Jacob717

arronishere wrote:

I actually would like them to speak in Hylian, but I would also like subs too

Haru17 wrote:

Silent protagonists just don't work in modern games where cutscenes have actual shot composition, etc. It just looks so dang awkward! I'm really worried about the silent protagonist in X, but it hasn't worked well in the 3D Zelda games either. Ever since Ocarina's verisimilitude in not only art style, but also with the newfound third dimension representing the world realistically, the 3D Zelda games are always so awkward when Link interacts with so many people without uttering a word. It's especially odd, since it's canon that can talk in the games themselves. Be it dialogue options, relating information, or the implied conversation that buying something from a shop entails.

The thing is that Link isn't his own character, he's suppose to be you, so if they gave him a voice and have conversations and a personality that isn't similar to your own then he fails as a link between the player and him.

Edited on by Jacob717

Jacob717

LzWinky

Don't be silly now. Link can talk!

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Spoony_Tech

TingLz wrote:

Lol!

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

jump

TingLz wrote:

I thought it was gonna be this...

Untitled

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Jacob717

Do your best to ignore the obnoxious background noise

I'm fine with Link saying small sentences like this, but I don't think he should have full conversations, because he still needs to be a link between you and him.

Edited on by Jacob717

Jacob717

CaviarMeths

TingLz wrote:

Thank you.

Haru17

Dipper723 wrote:

arronishere wrote:

I actually would like them to speak in Hylian, but I would also like subs too

Haru17 wrote:

The thing is that Link isn't his own character, he's suppose to be you, so if they gave him a voice and have conversations and a personality that isn't similar to your own then he fails as a link between the player and him.

Watch me shed a single tear as his athletic body, blue eyes, and blonde hair begins to not resemble my unfit form with thick brown hair and grey-green eyes. And there's plenty more dissimilar to aryan elf hero boy than me.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic