Other Gaming Forum

Topic: The Golden Age of RPGs

Showing 181 to 186 of 186

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

181. Posted:

OlympicCho wrote:

Well, I don't understand where you're going with it, that's for sure. If self-reference is supposed to be funny, then the joke went well over my head, and in my opinion, a joke that needs to be explained is never a good joke at all.

I don't "get" physical or stoner humor, or most Americian comedies, actually. My wife doesn't "get" British comedy because stuff like Monty Python is filled with wordplay humour that is difficult for anyone who isn't a native English speaker.

Something can still be a comedy or self-referential criticism without every single person on the planet "getting it." It's possible to write academic essays on the sociological existence and psychology behind otaku games like the Atelier series. Calling them juvenile entertainment is doing them a deep disservice.

Pffft, you can bullcrap any report you want, doesn't mean it's deep. You're just overselling a series you like just so you can exclude them from the rest of the rotting pile that is the modern JRPG.

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

Bankai

182. Posted:

Mickeymac wrote:

OlympicCho wrote:

Well, I don't understand where you're going with it, that's for sure. If self-reference is supposed to be funny, then the joke went well over my head, and in my opinion, a joke that needs to be explained is never a good joke at all.

I don't "get" physical or stoner humor, or most Americian comedies, actually. My wife doesn't "get" British comedy because stuff like Monty Python is filled with wordplay humour that is difficult for anyone who isn't a native English speaker.

Something can still be a comedy or self-referential criticism without every single person on the planet "getting it." It's possible to write academic essays on the sociological existence and psychology behind otaku games like the Atelier series. Calling them juvenile entertainment is doing them a deep disservice.

Pffft, you can bullcrap any report you want, doesn't mean it's deep. You're just overselling a series you like just so you can exclude them from the rest of the rotting pile that is the modern JRPG.

You can pretend academic thought is "bullcrap" all you want. If you want to think about games, anime, manga and whatever else as nothing mroe than entertainment, that's your choice.

That doesn't invalidate the analysis by people who approach games as an art form.

Edited on by Bankai

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

183. Posted:

OlympicCho wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

OlympicCho wrote:

You can pretend academic thought is "bullcrap" all you want. If you want to think about games, anime, manga and whatever else as nothing mroe than entertainment, that's your choice.

That doesn't invalidate the analysis by people who approach games as an art form.

I think you missed my point there...if I had a point. I was kinda half asleep when I wrote that.

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

RR529

184. Posted:

I was wandering around the world of Tales of the Abyss today, and I must say, one thing modern JRPGs have over their past brethren, is much more engaging dungeon design.

I've liked every retro JRPG I've played, but the dungeons tend to tire out pretty quickly, IMO (venturing 10+ floors down/up through some dull cave/tower design gets pretty boring, especially when you get to the larger dungeons).

Dungeons in newer JRPGs, however, feel very varied from each other, having their own unique feel and look (and they don't tend to have the same decor from beginning to end, lol).

Currently Playing:

Godzilla: Smash 3 (AND)
Summoners War: Sky Arena (AND)
Salvo Saga (AND)

AuthorMessage

zezhyrule

185. Posted:

Well, that's pretty much entirely due to hardware limitations of early gaming consoles so... it's expected :P

[15:36] Corbs: Vita rules - 3DS drools!

zezloggery | i haz youtube | PSN ID: zezhyrule

[23:11] PhoenixCake: my brother is such a dope >___>.

AuthorMessage

Electricmastro

186. Posted:

zezhyrule wrote:

Well, that's pretty much entirely due to hardware limitations of early gaming consoles so... it's expected :P

Haha! Pretty Much.

Backloggery. Now playing: Rayman 2: The Great Escape, Pac-Man World, SteamWorld Dig, The Legendary Starfy, Klonoa: Empire of Dreams, Kirby & the Amazing Mirror and Ufouria: The Saga.

3DS Friend Code: 0216-1196-2417 | Nintendo Network ID: Electricmastro