Forums

Topic: Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate

Posts 1,821 to 1,840 of 1,843

urrutiap

thing is about Monster Hunter games, Im not hardcore when playing them. I just play it casually but I do enjoy them figuring out the gameplay mechanics as I go along. But I dont obsess over armor skills but some of those armor skills help out alot like Heat cancel and earplugs. as for complicated stuff like Crit somethingsomething I just ignore them since they never help out at the right time.

Plus weapons made by Tigrexes etc where the weapons end up with negative affinity, i know nothing about what really goes on with that stuff.

Freedom Unite I played half of the game years ago. I stopped when the game unlocked the Nargacuga and Rajang because how old the gameplay and how tough the movements are in that game but i have gotten back into Freedom Unite earlier this year.

Freedom Unite and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate are the only two games of Monster Hunter that I havent beat the main story monster quests etc.

Since I know now about a few useful food skills like Weakener that could have helped me out big time years ago lol but not everyone has the time and patience to figure out stuff like that in the game whether theyrein the right kind of mood or whatever

urrutiap

urrutiap

Earlier today this morning i finally beat the G rank *4 Aht urgent with other people online. Raised the limit on my hunter rank. At HR 95 and did the Coal quest to also raise the palicos level limit. Technically I am done with Generations Ultimate but I just might try out the Raging/Green Brachydios to see how it moves etc.

Time to move on anyway to other games such as Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Xenoblade 1 and Monster Hunter Stories.

Ive done enough in Generations Ultimate. need to stop playing it lol

urrutiap

Drussa

@urrutiap had that same feeling some months ago but keep getting pulled back in every now and then.

Drussa

urrutiap

well i put Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate away back in its case.

Now im going to start playing Xenoblade 1 for my Switch while also playing Monster Hunter Freedom Unite for my PSP

urrutiap

Pizzamorg

I didn’t know whether to post here or use the active Rise thread as like a Monster Hunter general thread? I’ve posted here now, but if a mod wants me to move my post over, I will do so.

So, like I always like to do, checking in after my first hour… the new player experience in MHGU is… rough. I don’t have any friends playing this game, so I have no one who can sort of walk me through and explain what I was supposed to be doing. Plus I could not for the life of me figure out how to play online. There is no obvious option when choosing a quest like in Rise. I tried opening a lobby instead and people did join, but even then I could not work out how to actually bring them on a hunt with me.

As such, I tried some missions solo and it was… rough. I tried the quest of the day first as it was a one star and just got completely destroyed. I think I died in like two hits, but more accurate was that one hit did like 85 percent and then the second finished me off. So I died in like 1.15 hits, lol.

I then tried some kind of gathering quest and I had to google what I was actually meant to do, seemed obvious by the end but the game didn’t make it obvious at all to begin with. Even this was rough though. Game looks mostly pretty nice, but the take three steps and then a loading screen constantly is super annoying. Maybe it’ll be less so when I am actually fighting monsters and not having to move around locations as much, but boy.

Plus, I tried out the lance as it seemed like one of the simplest pick up and play weapons, so I could just get to grips with everything else first and then start leaning into weapon mechanics. However, at least right now where the monsters are very small, this thing is super frustrating to use. I just seemed to constantly step through monsters, missing my attacks, only to then get hit from behind. You could just say I need to position better and you are right, but I’m just so clunky compared to these more agile monsters and trying to constantly position as they waggle about all over the place so you don’t just thrust straight through them is very frustrating.

I really do think the wirebug solved a lot of the frustrations I had with World on their own and I think I underestimated just how not fun it would feel going back to being a slow, sluggish, Hunter who is always on the left foot against monsters. I miss all the time in Rise too, the game is still pretty damn stiff with an awkward lock on mechanic, but the Wirebug takes the pain out of repositioning and allows you to keep the pressure on. Without it, I just feel like I’m a hunter with no legs.

I am assuming these must be village quests, which is why there is no obvious way to match make because I assume these are designed to be played solo. I dunno when I unlock multiplayer quests, but I guess I’ll just push through these busy work quests and hopefully start to have some actual fun when I can play with others.

Oh and one other thing while I remember, I made a waifu again (character creator is very limited and everyone looks orange for some reason) but I picked a random voice and oh boy, every thrust with the lance, every time she hits, she makes this very loud sexualised sound. I made a big mistake, I won’t be able to play this anywhere without people thinking I’m doing something else, haha.

Edited on by Pizzamorg

Life to the living, death to the dead.

JaxonH

@Pizzamorg
Ask any questions you have and I’ll help coach you through as you learn the ropes. I started with MH3U. I dropped the game after an hour because I didn’t see the appeal, so I know all too well how confusing old world MH is.

In MHGU, the village is separate from the hub. Just like Rise. You can physically walk out of the village to access the MP hub area, or travel from the map screen, which is probably easier. Keep in mind that this was a celebratory title and as such, it did not feature 1 village like normal games do but instead featured 4 villages, to represent 1 from each generation of MH up to that point. There is no difference between accepting a quest in one village versus another, the only reason you will ever travel to another village is if you feel like a change of scenery or you’re talking to an NPC with a speech bubble over their head. And you need to understand right away that speaking to NPC’s with speech bubbles is incredibly important in MHGU. Many quests are only unlocked through that dialogue, and many of those quests happen to be requisites for other quests unlocking, which are then requisites for other quests unlocking, etc. Many offer crucial canteen ingredients, among other things.

Did you download all the DLC from the main menu or housekeeper? If not, do that now. Then claim all the item packs from your housekeeper in your room (even if you downloaded through the housekeeper you have to claim the item packs afterward). Also, you have to sleep on the bed in your room to save the game. This is a must.

Also, did you download the MHGU DB app for your phone? This is non-negotiable. Older games, specifically this one, have over 1000 quests in total yet only a very small percentage of them are required for progression through each of the ranks. And the game does not tell you which quests are required for progression. Back in the day we used to keep a tablet next to us while playing with the Kiranico wiki open to check key quests as we played. But you don’t have to deal with that because the MHGU DB app is now released, and has condensed all that critical information into an easy to use app that simply lists the requisite quests for each rank, for both village and hub. Here is the link for Android and iOS

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ghstudios.a...

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/mhgu-database/id1437214182

Positioning was tough in older games. You’ll get better with practice but it’s never going to be as easy as Rise. And I’m not sure if you’re in village because you don’t fight any monsters in Village during 1 Star quests. It’s all gathering and small monsters iirc. Also, hub quests are permanently scaled for 2 players, whether you’re playing them solo or not. So hub quests are extra challenging for solo play. They take longer as monsters have way more HP.

Here’s a video from the master himself, Gaijin Hunter, on changes coming from World/Rise to be aware of, and also a beginner’s guide.

If you download the MHGU DB app for easy access to key quest list and other info such as where to find certain rare mats and what you need to craft certain sets and what the weapon trees are (none of that was provided in game in the old world), and once you’ve watched both videos linked above, I think you’ll be well on your way. I understand this is a time commitment and you will also have the time commitment of more tedious gathering and small monster quests for the first rank or two. But if you push through it you can look forward to hundreds of hours of amazing combat with the largest roster of any game in the series to date.

edit 1
Also, styles and arts are the key gimmick of MHGU, similar to the wirebug of Rise. I preferred using Adept Style, which allows Evasion (think of it like having Evasion +3 skill right off the bat, with a wide window of i-frames), but when you successfully dodge roll at the right time, it triggers an auto-run in the direction you choose, allowing you to either close the gap and hit the monster with a booster attack, or run out of the way if needed. Other styles are more traditional, such as Guild, but that evasion was too good to pass up. Valor is also very good, broken even when used with Long Sword, but it’s trickier to master. Each style comes at a cost though- Valor style, for example, takes away a move or two from your natural move set. Each style takes away or adds back in certain natural moves for your weapon type. That’s a whole other can of worms too deep to go into at the moment, suffice it to say, you can change your style at any time you wish.

Arts are special moves that you use after building up a meter. A lot of them aren’t that good but some of them are pretty dang good.

edit 2
And, a bonus video for tips and tricks that may come in handy. It’s short, like 7 minutes, but I wouldn’t say it’s necessary viewing like the beginner’s guide is. Still, thought it may be helpful.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Pizzamorg

So the opening makes you go to a new location, but it appears you actually need to go back again to where you started to get the proper opening quests.

As such, I have now hunted my first monster… kinda. It was a training quest, so I guess it was much easier than usual and you get given a set of stuff, not the stuff you made. The lock on mechanic sucks, as does accidentally rolling into loading screens constantly, but this made me use the Sword and Shield and I actually might focus on that moving forwards. You have way more mobility with the SS and attacks seem way easier to land, but picking striker the combos are still relatively simple, so I can just focus on everything else. Plus, the fact the shield isn’t for defence really but more like you’re dual welding both a sharp and a blunt weapon for both types of damage is pretty cool, plus using items without needing to sheath the weapon is nice, too. I’ve been reading about all the crazy potential when you get the coatings later on - like a Witcher or something - so yeah, this seems good.

Sadly, I am still basically stuck on these MMO style quests, I’d like to fight an actual monster. It was surprisingly frustrating hunting Kelpi as I seemed to keep knocking them unconscious and then they seemed to become immune to damage and then run off? I guess I’ll just keep pushing through.

This should probably mean I download that app, but I’d rather not as I have to use my phone for business too, so I’m very selective what I put on it. I was planning to just play everything, but this opening is very boring.

I did download and claim all the DLC, I couldn’t believe how generous this was but I guess I’ll see how long this actually lasts.

I also use Gaijin Hunter, Arrekz and and the guy GH teams up with on the podcast whose name has completely escalated me right now to get me through every MH game. They just make information easier to access and process than in the game.

JaxonH

@Pizzamorg
How are you using the target lock mechanic? Cause it's actually the same as Rise and World. Click L once to swing camera to face the monster (once you've activated the target lock, think it's R3 but it's been a while).

Kelbi provide kelbi horns for max and ancient potions, and white livers for points. The game is kinda teaching you all the things you may need to do on your own later. But ya, it's a slog. It's why most ppl gave up on MH before understanding it's appeal. But you know the appeal, and what awaits if you push through the early rank Quests. Newbies don't. So they just put the game down and say MH isn't for them.

You won't last doing everything. You'll give up from boredom. Even I didn't do all MHGU Quests, and you know me- I 100% the Quests in Rise and World. If you didn't want to do everything in Rise, this game has 5x more gathering Quests. You really need to know which Quests are key.

Not sure if you watched the beginners guide, but make sure you followed their advice on hiring palicos and assigning them to come with you. And you can assign their active skills on the palico board. Beast type palicos are awesome, and Fighting type are great. But I'd definitely make sure 1 of them is a Healing type. It makes a massive difference keeping you alive. It isn't like Rise with Health Bubbles. They blow a horn that instantly heals, cures poison, etc. They're so clutch in MHGU.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Pizzamorg

JaxonH wrote:

@Pizzamorg
How are you using the target lock mechanic? Cause it's actually the same as Rise and World. Click L once to swing camera to face the monster (once you've activated the target lock, think it's R3 but it's been a while).

Kelbi provide kelbi horns for max and ancient potions, and white livers for points. The game is kinda teaching you all the things you may need to do on your own later. But ya, it's a slog. It's why most ppl gave up on MH before understanding it's appeal. But you know the appeal, and what awaits if you push through the early rank Quests. Newbies don't. So they just put the game down and say MH isn't for them.

You won't last doing everything. You'll give up from boredom. Even I didn't do all MHGU Quests, and you know me- I 100% the Quests in Rise and World. If you didn't want to do everything in Rise, this game has 5x more gathering Quests. You really need to know which Quests are key.

Not sure if you watched the beginners guide, but make sure you followed their advice on hiring palicos and assigning them to come with you. And you can assign their active skills on the palico board. Beast type palicos are awesome, and Fighting type are great. But I'd definitely make sure 1 of them is a Healing type. It makes a massive difference keeping you alive. It isn't like Rise with Health Bubbles. They blow a horn that instantly heals, cures poison, etc. They're so clutch in MHGU.

The instructions just say to press L to focus on the monster, once it is selected with ZL first but often pressing L my character just looks at some random direction and gets me hit from behind.

I am sure those deer things are important, but I just cannot work out how to kill them. They become unconscious, turn immune, run a bit and vanish. I cannot kill them.

I haven’t watched that specific beginners guide I don’t think yet. I have assigned one Palico as per the tutorial, no clue what type it is. I think I can assign two though, but I’ll sort that out once I am actually doing real quests rather than groceries.

JaxonH

@Pizzamorg
Ah, ok. You need to go into settings and change the Target Camera type. One type is tap once for Monster, double tap to swing camera behind Hunter, and the other is vise versa.

You can't kill Kelbi, btw. You carve them when they're unconscious (weird, I know). Sometimes you'll get lucky to carve a kelbi horn.

Pizzamorg

JaxonH wrote:

@Pizzamorg
Ah, ok. You need to go into settings and change the Target Camera type. One type is tap once for Monster, double tap to swing camera behind Hunter, and the other is vise versa.

You can't kill Kelbi, btw. You carve them when they're unconscious (weird, I know). Sometimes you'll get lucky to carve a kelbi horn.

Thanks for both of these tips! Lucky you are here, as I wouldn’t have worked this out myself. (Edit: I hope that doesn’t read sarcastically, as I meant this genuinely) I’ll go back and clear that Kelbi quest when I get back from taking the dogs. Took a quick break to play my latest obsession Wrestling Empire and also to grind out a few more HRs on Rise, so close to the final monster now. One more Rampage and I should be there.

Edited on by Pizzamorg

Pizzamorg

So I got far enough in that 1* village tree to fight an actual monster, the same monster you fight in the training quest. Seemed slightly harder than the training version, but still more than manageable. I am enjoying Sword and Shield. Although technically one of my Palico’s got the killing blow as I ducked off to drink a potion, lol.

Thinking about it, I think I had a harder time with the early village monsters in Rise, as I struggled at the beginning to get used to the Nintendo control scheme (and in some regards still do, like the way everything is flipped around with weapons like the insect glaive) and the Wirebug mechanics. This is much simpler both because I am used to the controls, but mechanically a lot of it is more simple in general.

Pizzamorg

Untitled

So we made it to three star Village, finally making a full set of gear for both Palicos and myself. Gear is in a super weird place right now because you’re punished for not maximising your defence with available gear, but since I’m constantly just throwing new crap on, I’m never hitting any thresholds to unlock any skills. I guess that all comes later, but I feel like it’s a missed opportunity to not allow me to properly engage with the gear systems. I will say though that I love just how many monsters and how much new gear I seem to be unlocking all the time. Just makes the game so exciting and absolutely fly by.

Honestly, in general, I was kinda nervous about playing this game because of all the streamlining/quality of life improvements introduced in World and Rise, but honestly, so far it is fine? Like it’s definitely harder than Rise, the fact there are sort of more survival elements really isn’t to my tastes - like you have to spend so much more time in a fight consuming various things or whatever, but in a game which makes it way harder to actually consume anything, unless you just push every fight right to a loading screen boundary and then roll into the loading screen to use your item and then rollback in again but it doesn’t feel very good, but overall, even Rise is much jankier than your average action game, it still has that MH feel, so I don’t think MHGU feels as dated as it possibly could have. It helps that it runs and looks nice, too.

JaxonH

In older MH games, you’re really expected to stick with full armor sets, or carefull pre-planned mix sets with skills that synergise, using specific decorations crafted to gem out negative skills. Throwing on random pieces will get you nowhere for skills due to the activation threshold.

Full Tetsucabra armor is a good starter set, as it offers Health and Defense, iirc, and is easy to farm. Not really worth spending too much time farming elaborate mix sets in Low Rank though, because they’ll be relegated useless in High Rank. Same thing kind of applies to High Rank armor since G-rank will supersede it, but High Rank has far more quests back-loaded since the original base game, Generations, didn’t have G-rank, and like Rise, depended on high difficulty event quests to provide end game challenge. So maybe High Rank is worth a little more effort in the armor set deptarment. But ultimately, G-rank is where you start forging permanent sets and have to start thinking about what skills you want, and which armor pieces to mix to achieve it.

I think I went from full Tetsucabra armor to full Gore Magala armor, amd that carried me into High Rank. Then I did the same thing- full HR Tetsucabra armor to full HR Gore Magala armor, and that carried me to G-Rank. From there I made some early G-Rank armor set to get me through to Glavenus, then made a full Glavenus set which lasted me through to the end boss- I then farmed full Ahtal-ka armor, which is way better than anything else in the game. Normally I do mix sets, as in every other MH game I’ve played, but since I had already decided I wanted the full Ahtal-ka end boss armor set, I didn’t bother.

Edited on by JaxonH

Pizzamorg

Yeah, that is the problem. I tried to focus on skill thresholds, but I was getting wrecked on like 2* village quests (lol) because I was using items with like 4 defence on, when I could have pieces with like 12 defence on. So in the end I just gave up on trying to unlock any skills and just went for the stuff with the highest defence and best resistances and ignored whatever the skill was.

I do tend to try and make builds though on each rank, if I can. If I have the attitude that it doesn’t matter and just toss whatever on, I am probably going to just end up making the game harder for myself. I want the game to be as easy as possible at all times and right now that does mean no build focus, just all focusing on defence/resistance values, but I hope that changes as I go along. If I have to wait until High Rank to think about builds, then that really stinks.

I don’t think I’ve unlocked Tetsucabra yet, just mostly small dinosaurs and slightly bigger dinosaurs so far. Well other than the sand fish dude who was annoying to fight, both because of the sand hiding, the fact it could wipe off the paintball when diving and also because I had to keep running away to have cold drinks. I am pretty sure they removed that from Rise entirely and only had it in specific locations in World? Yeah, that was the right direction with that.

JaxonH

@Pizzamorg
The highest defense armor should typically be the latest monster you fought. So when you fight a new monster, immediately go to the smithy and see if any of its armor pieces show up. In older games, each of the 5 armor pieces would stay hidden until you had crossed a threshold of owning a certain number of the items necessary to craft it. So maybe the Helm shows up but not the waist, torso, arms and legs. Fight him again, and suddenly 3 more pieces show up, etc.

Also, keep in mind gunner armor is separated in this game and has half defense. So most armor sets you look at in the smithy will have two versions, the blade master and then the gunner, and the gunner defense will be at about half value.

Once you get to Tetsucabra, which I believe is the 3 star urgent, you'd do well to farm a full set. And then use your armor spheres to upgrade the armor pieces as needed. You can obtain armor spheres from mining nodes, btw. The blue ones, in particular are better than the purple. Just FYI.

Pizzamorg

Yeah, I noticed that! I actually kinda like the idea of giving melee and ranged dedicated sets. I am sure it is probably better to not be locked out of certain skills or whatever like it is now, but I’d argue more general melee skills are useful to rangers than general ranged skills are to melee users, so the lines do sorta still exist, it just means people can dip into skills not really made for them with various usefulness.

Still, I like both having their own individual identity, with different stuff to chase. Like there is just so much gear in this game and I love that. Gear is my driving motivation. It really makes you realise how kinda skimpy the offerings are in Rise, where even the Apex monsters even despite different designs, don’t even drop like a layered piece of variant armour or something.

JaxonH

@Pizzamorg
This game had the benefit of using the same assets as previous games, with Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate already providing a mountain of content to draw from just on 3DS, on top of the fact this is an Ultimate expansion of a base game that already had more combined content than previous entries. It’s a celebratory title, so content is king- but there’s a reason it was able to achieve so much. I would never expect this kind of content in a new title built ground up in a new engine with new assets. Monster Hunter Tri only had like 17 monsters I think? So ya, Rise may not have nearly as much as MHGU, but it’s still stacked to the hilt. And once Sunbreak releases it will be even bigger.

Split sets have their advantages, and most liked that it doubled the armor count, but it’s a serious pain in the butt to not be able to use a ranged weapon unless you go craft a completely separate armor set. I did make a gunner set in MHGU for Heavy Bowgun, and spent a good 50 hrs trying it out. It’s fine if you’re only blademaster or only gunner, but if you switch between them making separate armor sets can be tedious.

Pizzamorg

Yeah, I think Rise actually has more content than World did at base. I just think World had better support when it came to adding new monsters, gear etc afterwards (even before Iceborne). Like I say, I don’t think Rise lacked content necessarily, I just don’t think they paced the monsters as well as they could have and a lot of the postgame stuff has just been a bit rubbish. Like I wouldn’t say World had a great end game until a few post Iceborne patches really either, but Rise is still somehow worse.

Also, I never really touch the ranged weapons in MH. I like to bonk or slash. But I think it was the HBG or maybe the bow in World which was crazy overpowered? So I did end up modding World to unlock the HBG at full potential (as God was putting sets together from scratch in World tedious because of the jewel RNG crap) and just found it a really boring play style.

Edited on by Pizzamorg

JaxonH

@Pizzamorg
I was there at launch for World on console, and it took several months for the first DLC monster to be added, with a sparse schedule afterward, only adding a new monster every month or two, Whereas Rise had all 9-10 DLC monsters added in by the 3 month mark, and even then ppl complained it took too long.

I’m sure it was different on PC because all the extra content was made available faster. But for the initial console release, I finished and lost interest in World long before it ever got a single DLC monster. They were much faster to release monsters in Rise. And, the event quests are permanent rather than being tied to a server, which as we recently observed, has resulted in content being pulled and lost forever in World.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic