Topic: Arcade SHMUP High Score Thread

Posts 3,041 to 3,060 of 3,493

Tatanak

This is my final score for Balloon Fight, mode C:
Untitled

Switch Friend Code: SW-0707-1268-9888
Twitter: Tatanak

GFoyle

Fun little game, didn't take this one though.

Edited on by GFoyle

GFoyle

Switch Friend Code: SW-0120-0521-0269

Moroboshi876

My highest score. I don't really have time today to try to do better, but it's been fun anyway.

Untitled

Switch code: SW-2291-6286-4620

Nintendo 3DS code: 2879-0476-7598

My Nintendo: Toni | Twitter:

Corneel

The challenge has ended!

Thanks to all for participating and congratulations to @Tatanak for winning his first challenge. I'm sure it won't be the last time, judging to the also impressive score with Striker 1945 II. Choice for the next two week challenge is yours!

Final results can be seen on the Arcade Challenge Leaderboards.

Edited on by Corneel

Arcade Challenges High Scores
Switch friend code: 8315-2784-9697

Tatanak

Balloon Fight was fun, but I would prefer a shooting game. I think Omega Fighter caravan mode will be great for the next challenge.

Edited on by Tatanak

Corneel

Great choice @Tatanak ! So the next challenge will be:

Game: Omega Fighter
Rules: Caravan mode
Ending: November 12th 23:00 GMT

This will be a two week challenge again. If you haven't played Omega Fighter yet, be sure to check it out!

Edited on by Corneel

Tatanak

My current best score:
Untitled

Moroboshi876

There are some real shmup pros here!

GFoyle

I haven't been playing this that much yet, one few runs one day, but I'll try to fix that this week.

GFoyle

GFoyle

Got a bit of improvement, I'm around 64k+ range I think, can't remember exactly.

I have a mixed feeling of this game. It has a lot of the issues I don't like that in those older eighties shmups, like HUGE hitbox (whole ship at least!), annoying close range surprise attacks and enemies coming, moving in strange ways. Bullets are not that fast in general, but enemy ships often are so it doesn't help. But even with the slow bullets, the big hitbox and not that fast ship makes it really annoying to avoid dodge them.

GFoyle

Tatanak

Yes, it's little bit outdated but I think it has good graphics, music and great risk reward scoring system. This is my final score, I used a trick from this video: Omega Fighter 5336520pts on stage 2, +300k points.
Untitled

Edited on by Tatanak

GFoyle

I guess we don't really need to post picture this time as those score can be seen from online leaderboards (thought there are some names there who might have that score from before the challenge).

Anyway, I got 870k aprox. I didn't know about that "trick" which gives you 300k. I tried to get it few times and did, but it wasn't as easy as it seems (as you need to do quite well in first stage to get that bomb and not to die/lose it too early). Each time I got it, I started doing badly afterwards, lost my poise or something like that. My highest score was without using any bomb actually, so all things considered I'm happy enough with the result.

GFoyle

Corneel

Again congratulations to @Tatanak for getting number one in the challenge and number four on the global leaderboard! Impressive stuff. @Gfoyle came close, but not close enough.

Participation for this challenge was low with only three contenders. Could be that everybody is gathering loot in Diablo III or dusting off those Smash Bros amiibo in preparation of December 7th. Whatever the reason, let's catch a break and pick up the challenges in 2019 again (of course the choice will be yours @Tatanak).

This may be a good opportunity to have a look at the Open leaderboards to improve on some scores. The open leaderboards are the default settings, single credit for each particular game. This means scores from the caravan mode are not carried over and those games (Pulstar, Blazing Star etc) have empty leaderboards right now, but hopefully not for long.

Gunbird and Samurai Aces are added because you can never play enough Psikyo games. As always, post your highscore in this thread if you want your score to be on the leaderboard. You can also have a look at the Adult Switch Gamers Discord where we have our own little shmup corner.

Edited on by Corneel

Tatanak

Thanks, the fourth place is nice. The Omega Fighter is a good game, I will continue chasing high scores in other modes. Many great, big games are coming, I think it is a good idea to take a break and continue with challenges in 2019. I looked at the open leaderboards, I do not have any of these shmups except of the Strikers 1945 II. You look like a big Psikyo fan, can you recommend the best of them?
And the Rival Megagun launches this thursday, I can not wait.

GFoyle

From Psikyo, I think the best are Dragon Blaze, Gunbird 2, all Strikers games (still waiting that third one to come) and Tengai in no particular order.

after those come Gunbird 1, Zero Gunner 2- (from my understanding, the - version which we have on Switch doesn't really match the original based on detailed description I read from shmup forums from somebody who seemed very familiar with the original game, even after patches).

I don't like Samurai Aces (their first one) that much and I haven't even got Sol Divide, which most are not that crazy about.

Strikers 1945 plus is IMO not on par with the others, there is still a bit of strange stuttering, slowdown going on (initial release was horrible, now it's playable at least) and it's ugly. It does support save point though, which is great.

Edited on by GFoyle

GFoyle

Moroboshi876

I like open leaderboards, this way I can attempt challenges that maybe the other way I don't have the time to.

Today I was playing Prehistoric Isle in 1930 in SNK 40th Anniversary Collection and I loved it, but this collection sadly doesn't have online leaderboards. If we ever played it as a challenge we would have to prove our scores LOL

Tatanak

Thanks @GFoyle for the recommendation, I will buy Gunbird 2 and Dragon Blaze and try to get some decent score in them.

Moroboshi876

We want these challenges back!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic