During a special anniversary stream, developer Team Asano asked fans if they would like to see another entry in the series. Here's what was apparently said according to Bravely News on Twitter (via Nintendo Wire):
- No confirmation of any new game, but the developers talked about a port of the original games today being difficult due to how the 3DS entries made use of AR and SteeetPass,
- Asano at some point asked fans if them wanted a Bravely 3 or Third;
- Lots of special merch announced (new figures, a special 2023 calendar, new plushies, a vinyl, etc.),
- A Bravely themed art exhibit is happening in Japan on December
This isn't the first time discussion about a "third" major entry in the series has come up. Bravely Default II producer Tomoyo Asano mentioned in an interview with Famitsu last year (translation by Nintendo Everything) how the team was hoping to continue the series.
He added how the team was still in the "planning phase" at the time, but expected development would take at least another 3 - 4 years:
“Bravely Default II was well-received by fans and as a result, we’re hoping to continue the series as we feel we can pull it off once again. With that said, we’re still in the planning phase, and I suspect development will take another 3-4 years, so we’d appreciate if fans could bear with us.”
- Read more - Bravely Default Producer Keen To Continue Series But Admits A New Entry Might Take A While
A third Bravely Default hasn't 'officially' been announced yet, but it seems like there's a good chance at this rate, especially if fans show their support.
In the same anniversary live stream, Team Asano was also asked about the possibility of the original 3DS games (Bravely Default and Bravely Second: End Layer) being ported to modern platforms. As noted above, a few "difficult" things tied to 3DS-specific features would need to be overcome to make it happen.
Would you be up for another Bravely Default game? How about ports of the 3DS games? Sound off in the comments section.