Brazil-based developer Behold Studios is best known for delivering the Super Sentai/Power Rangers-inspired RPG Chroma Squad back in 2015. Now, the developer is moving on from tokusatsu to magical girl with its next game, Mahou Senshi Cosplay Club. This marks the developer's return to its RPG roots following 2019's party game Out of Space.
Announced yesterday, the game is slated for a 2023 release on "PC and major consoles", so it looks like a Switch version is on the horizon. However, it's not just the game's premise — where you play as a girl who gains magical powers by cosplaying and dressing up — that has us intrigued. Mahou Senshi Cosplay Club's polygonal graphics remind us of a lost, late N64 RPG that we never got, albeit with the power of modern-day design to make the colours really pop and the visuals a lot smoother.
Here's some more info about this bubblegum pop-coloured game from Behold Studios:
• Create your own Magical Girl costumes! - Find and learn new shapes and gather new palettes to be even more creative. There is no limit other than your own imagination.
• Fight in Turn-Based Battles - Each costume earns you attributes and carry skills to overcome your foes in battle. There is no single path or strategy!
• Explore events and contests - Discover new quests, explore different settings, find new types of materials and improve your crafting level!
Other fun stuff
• Traverse through this amazing story of self-knowledge and self-improvement, as you make friends and help them become amazing cosplayers too!
• Quick and Dynamic tactical RPG. Expect energy and fearlessness in these fights!
• Inspired by our previous game, Chroma Squad. Live this amazing experience in the same world where the rangers saved the world from Lord Gaga and his evil boss Villain-X.
• Collect more than 40 unique pins inspired by Magical Goddesses, each one giving you different skills in Battle.
• Handcrafted and beautifully written main quest, with dialogues, cutscenes and many cool-looking NPCs to get to know.
• High replay value! Every time you play you’ll have different side quests and NPCs different from the last time you played. There are many ways of getting to the story end!
So you don't just pick up costumes along your adventure to become the best cosplayer out there — you learn about new shapes and colours to create your own. So, you can dress up like a watermelon if you really want — that's what the trailer shows us, at least! You'll also be able to take part in exhibitions and show off your cosplaying skills, and by picking up pins, you'll be able to customise your character's skills.
We'll have to wait a while before we live out our magical girl, Sailor Moon-style dreams, as Behold Studios states that it still has a bit of work to get through before the game is ready to ship. And, just like with Chroma Squad, the developer has said it may need to resort to Kickstarter to complete funding on the project.
But, as it is now? It looks rather lovely. Just have a little look and tell us you don't want to become a magical girl?
Are you excited about Mahou Senshi Cosplay Club? Transform your thoughts into comments to let us know!