There are a whole bunch of Metal Slug games available on the Switch eShop, and some other rather fun run and gun titles have made their way to the system over the years. Operation Highjump: The Fall of Berlin will now hope to join the higher ranks in the genre when it launches later this year on Switch.
Developed by Mansion Games, it's had a successful Kickstarter campaign and the page is packed full of GIFs and details on characters, weapons and more. As you may have guessed from the name it takes place during World War 2, and intriguingly aims to blend a variety of styles into its campaign, offering more that just action.
You can see some further details below:
At Mansion Games we love to merge influences of all kinds: If you are a fan of the frenzy of Metal Slug, the puzzles of Lost Vikings, the tactical missions of Commandos and the narrative story of Indiana Jones.
- The game fuses the frenzy and platforming of classic run&guns with the narrative and puzzles of video adventures.
- Retro 2D aesthetic with a fusion of pixel-art and illustration.
- Animations made by hand with great care, frame by frame.
- High amount of black humor.
- 40 enemies and 8 Final Bosses.
- Extreme quality in the setting based on real references of the time.
- Original and unpublished cover by master illustrator Alfonso Azpiri.
- Epic soundtrack signed by the musician Chris Huelsbeck, author of mythical soundtracks like Turrican.
- With texts in English, Spanish, German, French, Italian and Catalan.
We think the look and style of the game looks impressive, though perhaps the shooting mechanics could be tightened up; after all, the footage is of a prototype build. Let us know what you think, as always, in the comments.