If you're of a certain age there are certain games that are embedded firmly in your gaming brain. Whether through the original arcade or the eye-searing sequels from Jeff Minter, Tempest may be one of those games.
Atari has now confirmed that the latest entry in the series, which was developed by Llamasoft 'in partnership with designer Jeff Minter', is heading to Switch (and Atari's own VCS) on 22nd March. Tempest 4000 is pretty much what you'd expect, which is the familiar concept of frantic shooting while rotating around a 'rail' of sorts. Yeah, just watch the trailer.
We actually thought this was a new game at first, but actually it's been around on Steam, PS4 and Xbox One since Summer 2018. Oh well, it's coming to Switch now, and below is some of the official blurb.
- A Blast from the Past: Take down hordes of enemies in this fast-paced, retro-arcade style shooter
- Pick a Mode, Any Mode: Pick from three different game modes including Classic, Pure and Survival that will push your skills to the limit
- Level Up: Progress and conquer 100 unique geometric levels by destroying enemies with various weapons and power-ups, and by earning upgrades through bonus rounds
- Scale the Leaderboards: Show off your high score in your quest to be recognized as number one
- Get Bass Boosted: Enjoy the beats of a thumping soundtrack inspired by early 1990’s techno
It could certainly be rather fun. Let us know if you're planning to dig out that favourite '90s jacket that doesn't fit any more before playing this one in March.