A brand new update has been announced for Volta-X, the real-time strategy mech-battler from veteran Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy developer Fumiaki Shiraishi.
Called the 'Metaverse Update', this new dollop of content adds a new roguelite-style Metaverse mode, new Voltas, new weapons, and more. It's scheduled to go live in 15th June and we've got all the juicy details for you below:
- Offline Mode
- Choose between a randomized set of loadouts
- Compete in challenges to survive multiple battles
- Losing means resetting progress for current run
- Upgrade parts and repair Volta between battles
- Metaverse explanation: This new mode takes place in a different universe than the game's online mode. Same characters and overall story, but slightly different futures. Players will discover this fact by playing through the Metaverse Mode, and how the metaverses all fit together in the world of Volta-X.
- Switch between Tank and Human form at will
- Has a tail and can equip a third weapon with it
- Special adds fire to next nine attacks
- Blaster Cannon
- Shoulder-Arm part
- Deals damage based off current charge
- Black Hole Beam
- Shoulder-Arm part
- Creates black hole at target room, sucking in crew in adjacent rooms
- Nanomachine Cloud
- Makes healing aura effect, healing all rooms over time
- Adds crew damage to all of your parts
- Ice Launcher
- Adds iced effect to target room
- Slows repair rate
- Extinguishes fires
- Slows crew movement
- Auto Turret
- Periodically fires if a crewmate is present inside room
- Changed special to give armor to all rooms
- Updated the Light Punch to a dagger
- New Boss Volta
- Boss Volta for Metaverse Mode and Post-game Missions
- Special shoots an ice beam at three target rooms
- New Emotes
- More ways for your crew to celebrate and taunt opposing Voltas
- New crew costumes
- Dress your pilots in the latest fashions from the World Volta Association across all game modes
- New Headquarters Rooms
- The Volta Training Room and the Crew Training Room allow you to earn experience to give to pilots and Voltas outside of battle, and you now unlock new Voltas and crew members through these rooms
If you're new to Volta-X, make sure to check out our previous coverage where we took a detailed look at the game's cast of characters. We'll also leave you with the game's official description, taken straight from the Switch eShop:
Years ago, the Earth was jeopardized by a Kaiju invasion. These mighty exterrestrial monsters’ only aim was mass destruction on a global scale. Faced with insurmountable odds, our best known scientists and world leaders floundered and it seemed everything was lost. That is, until the mysterious Dr. V revealed his new technology - the Voltas. Thanks to the Voltas and their pilots, our victory over the alien threat was swift and decisive. After overcoming the Kaiju, these formidable robots provided the foundation for the most popular sport in the world – Volta battling!
Now we’re extending an invitation to you to join the World Volta Association, the premiere destination for high stakes Volta combat. Achieving prestige and fame will take teamwork and plenty of strategy. Prove your championship drive by commanding your crew members to power up weapons, dodge attacks, or repair your Volta while you simultaneously attack your opponent’s Volta to weaken them and gain victory! As you rise through our ranks, you’ll earn access to more Voltas, obtain incredible weapons, and face even tougher challenges.
I played a bit of it at launch and had a pretty good time but the online was unfortunately pretty dead so I could only go so far.
Great looking game. I dismissed it b/c it was online only. I'm reconsidering it now that an offline mode has been included.
Haven't played in a while since after getting all the online tournament unlocks. Glad to see more offline content. Might be time to dust off my Voltas.
Also, as someone who uses some of the faster moving pilots, that ice launcher sounds potentially devastating.
Same here! I was tempted to try Volta-X at launch, but online PvP really is not my thing. What I really wanted was a single-player experience, like a Volta vs. Kaiju story mode.
So this update has promise!
Does this go on sale often or ever? Looks cool. Wait for sale or take the plunge?
Tap here to load 5 comments
Leave A Comment
Hold on there, you need to login to post a comment...