Update: And just like that, Cloudscape has reached its Kickstarter goal.
In an update to backers, Gottron has revealed a series of stretch goals including a museum and a farming expansion. The campaign has already generated $60,000 in funding with 28 days still left to go.
Original Article (Wed 23rd Jun, 2021 12:30 BST): If you're on the lookout for a new "Zelda-like" adventure, you might want to keep an eye on Cloudscape.
The debut title from indie studio Konitama (a pen-name for Chris Gottron, an animator who's previously worked on the likes of Spongebob Squarepants, The Fairly OddParents, and She-ra), Cloudscape is an open-world action-adventure survival game headed to Switch. A Kickstarter went live to aid the project's funding yesterday, and it looks like it won't be long before its goal is smashed to pieces.
The game's been inspired by titles like The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Stardew Valley and Animal Crossing, mixing survival, action, exploration and social mechanics into one tempting sounding package. Players take on the role of Kumo, a Cloudling who wakes up ashore on a sunny deserted island, and find themselves exploring its surroundings to build a refuge, gather materials, craft weapons, and more to survive amongst the monsters who roam around at night.
- Explore a rich world with new exotic locales and unlock many new resources, tools and abilities to help take you further into the world.
- Farm, Fish, Forage and Craft as you brave the wilderness and try to bring heaven to earth!
- A cute, whimsical art style created by a veteran of the animation industry who previously worked on childhood defining cartoons like Spongebob Squarepants
- Many inhabitants to meet! Make friends, enemies or even find love
- Fight to survive the night! Craft and uncover new weapons to help defend yourself in the dark, as well as through special dungeons made as a love letter to classic Zelda titles such as A Link To The Past.
- Build a house, decorate it, fill it with stuff! Customize your look with different clothing
- Catch bugs, tame and raise animals (you CAN pet the doggy!), learn to cook, dig for buried treasure, solve puzzles and uncover secrets
- A special Nintendo Switch Physical Edition of Cloudscape available as a reward on Kickstarter! Konitama is working with a trusted partner with a track record of delivering on crowdfunded games to facilitate this.
As you'll spot in the feature list above, one of the Kickstarter rewards is a special physical version on Switch. If you're keen on securing that, or you just want to check out the project for yourself, make sure to visit the Kickstarter here.
Do you like the sound of this one? Will you be pledging your support? Let us know with a comment.