Pandemic, shmandemic. Who needs to go outside when we've got Ring Fit Adventure? Who needs friends when we've got all the villagers in Animal Crossing: New Horizons? Who needs jobs when we can work on a farm in Stardew Valley? We're big fans of escapism, and this year, we've needed it more than ever.
Following news that the Switch is super popular in the UK, selling like hot cakes in China, and that the 3DS is still mega popular in Japan, we've now seen NPD's reports that the Switch has been sitting at the top spot of consoles for the 25th consecutive month in the US.
Here are some fun facts from the NPD report:
- Half of the 20 best-selling physical games in the US during December 2020 were published by Nintendo
- Animal Crossing, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Super Mario 3D All-Stars, and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate all sold more physical copies than Cyberpunk 2077 in 2020
- Ring Fit Adventure was the fifth best-selling Nintendo game this year, with increased sales in December
- The 10 best-selling Switch games were all first-party
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons was the third-best selling game in 2020, behind Call of Duty: Black Ops: Cold War, and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
- Sales of consoles, games, and accessories hit an all-time high of $56.9 billion in the US last year
- The US spent the most it's ever spent on games in one month during December 2020, a total of $7.7 billion
- The Switch sold the most units and made the most dollars in 2020
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons is now the highest-earning Nintendo game since Wii Fit in 2010
- 2020's Nintendo Switch sales were the second highest for a platform in US history, behind only the Wii