Update (Thu 22nd Oct, 2020 01:30 BST): The long-awaited patch for The Outer Worlds is finally here. It bumps the game up to version 1.2 and includes a bunch of features, changes and fixes. Below are the full patch notes from the official game site:
The next time you launch The Outer Worlds on your Nintendo Switch, you should see Patch 1.2 ready to download and install! The patch is required in order to fix specific issues and apply any changes included. If you do not see this update right away, please know that it may take some time to populate and become available.
Features included in this update:
- Implemented a half-resolution SSAO
- Implemented Clouds in Skybox
- Replace SSR with SphereReflectionCapture
- Disabled subsurface profile shading
- Added Depth of Field to Conversation Camera
Changes and Fixes included in this update:
- Limited the max instance count for sounds to improve CPU performance
- Adjusted the volume threshold for sounds to improve CPU performance
- Packed textures to save memory
- Optimized materials for the environment and terrain
- Optimized and added more vegetation to the world
- Added details to the world buildings
- Used normal map textures instead of triangles for objects
- Re-designed some buildings
- Meshes rebuilt for improved visuals
- Lightmap texture streaming rebuilt
- Fixed character AI issues
- Improved the streaming performance to fix the building dark issues players experienced and some texture blur issues
To continue to report issues you come across and to share suggestions for the game, please share it with our publishing partner, Private Division, through their support website. This will help ensure that your specific issue or suggestion is in their queue and will allow us to prioritize requests to provide the fastest possible turnaround time.
Thank you all for your patience and understanding, and please continue to share with us anything you come across. You all are amazing, and we are very lucky to have you here with us in the Halcyon Colony!
Original story (Sun 18th Oct, 2020 10:15 BST): Since the arrival of The Outer Worlds on the Switch this year, Virtuos and Private Division have been hard at work on a patch to improve the overall experience. It's expected to lift the quality of the visuals and also the game's performance.
Now, in an update from the official Outer Worlds Twitter account, it's been confirmed this anticipated patch will roll out on the Switch on 21st October. There'll also be a sale on 22nd October.
Alongside this was the following image, which shows the visual changes in the Switch version:
More details on what is included in the Nintendo Switch patch will be released soon, but for now, you can enjoy this image showing off some of the visual changes.
There's no word on when the game's first expansion DLC will be released on the Switch, but this content has at least been confirmed for this platform by Private Division.
Will you be returning to The Outer Worlds next week when this patch lands on the Switch? Comment down below.