The Switch is about to play host to yet another retro-style shmup, as Rangok Skies has been confirmed for Nintendo's hybrid console.
From indie publisher Digerati and developer Samurai Games, Rangok Skies aims to offer its players an "authentic old-school challenge" with gameplay inspired by the likes of DoDonPachi, Gunbird, and Strikers 1945.
It's planned to launch in Q42020 / Q1 202, but if you can't wait that long, a playable demo is available on Steam today. The demo will give you an early taste of the action and includes three of the game's four available characters, each with their own ship and attacks. Here's some PR:
War has started! Rangok Skies is a vertically scrolling arcade shooter inspired by the genre classics, such as DoDonPachi, Gunbird, and Strikers 1945. Highly replayable with 4 different characters, each with their own unique ship, weapons, and bombs. Includes 2-player local co-op.
- Choose your pilot: Four different characters, each with their own unique ship, weapons, bombs, and story endings
- Solo Mode: Start with three lives and three continue credits, and try to beat the game!
- Online rankings: Which leaderboard you’re ranked on – Terminators, Masters, Heroes, or Babies – is determined by lives lost, continues used, and score
- Auto-Shoot Accuracy: Hold down fire to slow your ship and enable more precise movements
- Special Weapons: For targeted mass destruction of most enemies and bullets
- Mega Bombs: Inflict screen-clearing devastation, perfect for tight situations
- Collect mini-items and rewards: Increase firepower, charge the Mega Bomb meter, boost your score
- Five intense stages: Each with their own enemies and huge end-of-level boss
- Local Co-op Mode: Play with a friend and defeat Lord Rangok together
-TATE Mode (縦): Supports turning your monitor vertically for the full arcade experience
Are you liking the look of this one? Think it might have what it takes to make it into our list of the best shmups on Switch? Let us know in the comments.