If you've had difficulties matching with other players in the free-to-play bubblegum shooter Ninjala since it launched, the good news is GungHo has now rolled out a new update for the game that should make the online experience more enjoyable (and playable) at all hours of the day. It allows you to match with anyone from anywhere.
In addition to this, the user interface has been improved and the game has been further polished (in other words, a number of issues have now been resolved). This update is mandatory for all players. Below are the full patch notes, courtesy of the official Ninjala webpage:
Ver. 2.0 Update Release Notes
If the version displayed atop the Ninjala title screen reads “Ver.2.0”, the update has been successfully installed.
About this Update
Thank you for playing Ninjala. This update contains even more wide-ranging improvements, adjustments, and bug fixes to further enhance your Ninjala gameplay experience.
There are three main goals we hope to achieve with this update:
- Offering an ideal matching environment
- Improving player experience through UI/UX
- Further polish game balance
The Ninjala team has recognized that the current matching environment is far from ideal, and has taken player feedback deeply to heart. In hopes of offering our players an improved matching experience, we have implemented a major update to the matching system. Furthermore, we have updated elements of the UI that were hampering users to provide smoother, more intuitive gameplay. Needless to say, we have also further refined weapon parameters to allow players of all experience and skill levels, from beginners to experts, to enjoy Ninjala.
Please read on if you would like to review the changes implemented with this update in detail.
Matching on a Worldwide Scale
Up to this point, matching has been broken down into four regions: North and Central America, Europe, Asia/Ocenania, and Japan. The initial intent of this was to prevent matchups between players located physically far away, which were more likely to suffer from lag and transmission speed issues.
Since then, however, we have taken into account player feedback, in particular that it was frustrating not to be able to play with family or friends who live abroad in another region, or to find opponents in one’s own region late at night or at other times when the player base was reduced. To address the situation, we have now made it possible to match with players of any region, provided that transmission speeds fall within defined acceptable parameters.
Now that matching has been unified across all regions, we believe it will now be possible to find worthy teammates and opponents at all hours of the day, and that Battle Royale ranked matches will be more rewarding.
In accordance with this change, player rankings—previously broken down by region—will also be unified across the entire world. From this day forward, Ninjala will become a truly global competition.
*Please note that as a side effect, you may be more likely to experience lag depending on the location of your opponent.
Please confirm your connection speeds via the newly added lag value display and antenna icons.
As a general reference, a relatively smooth gameplay experience can be enjoyed with values of up to 150 msec, but 200 msec and beyond will result in considerable lag. Furthermore, in Ranked and Free Matches, opponents and servers with lower lag values will be prioritized.
To improve transaction speeds, we recommend that you connect with a wired connection or a stable, high-speed Wi-Fi connection.
In Ninjala, matching is configured so that you are most likely to be matched with players of the same rank as you. However, when such players cannot be found, the system allows for matching with players of different ranks to avoid situations in which no match can be made.
This was particularly an issue with Battle Royale ranked matches. With matching now conducted globally provided lag is within defined acceptable parameters, you will now be more likely to be matched with players of the same rank, reducing the likelihood of unbalanced matches. Furthermore, the matching settings themselves have also been refined so that it is less likely you will be matched with players of widely varying ranks. That said, there is a certain degree of conflict between our two goals of ensuring balanced matches and allowing for ease of matching. To ensure an optimal matching experience going forward, we intend to closely monitor the situation and make further adjustments as deemed necessary. Furthermore, there was an issue where the time until a room was disbanded was too long, resulting in long wait times after battles could be started with 6 or 7 players. To address this, we have shortened the time until rooms are disbanded, which we hope will lead to quicker-starting battles.
Gum Weapon Parameter Adjustments
The Ninjala development team is dedicated to ensuring that players can enjoy a wide variety of battling styles. After careful observation of winning percentages by gum weapon and weapon popularity, we have implemented a host of balance adjustments.
In particular, we have enhanced currently unpopular weapons such as “Iron Noise”, “Drum Beat”, “Mellow à la Mode” and “Trick Ball”, and balanced “SK8 Hammer” and “Sushi Axe”.
With this adjustment, various weapons are used more than ever before.
We hope that the result will be even more rewarding Ninjala battles for all players.
Ippon Katana + Scroll blade
- “Charging Slash” will now have an increased chance of landing a blow.
- Charging Slash is a quick and powerful dash attack, but due to its rushing movement, attacks very often missed and came up empty.
Although the IPPON Katana and Scroll Blade are popular among advanced players as well, they are particularly widely used among beginners.
In order to give beginners an effective weapon that would not be overpowered in the hands of advanced players, we have raised the homing capability of Charging Slash to make it easier to use.
However, the team is aware of its strength when combined with Wall Shooter, and we therefore intend to monitor winning percentages closely to ensure balance among gum weapons.
Drill Beast + Corn Bow
- The amount players’ ninjutsu gauge increases when landing back attacks has been reduced.
Previously, it was set to offer increased ninjutsu gauge gains when successfully landing back attacks, but after observing disproportionately high use and winning percentages, we have reduced this amount.
Back attacks are still an effective way to build up your ninjutsu gauge, but due to the lower turnover rate, you will now need to attack more aggressively than before.
SK8 Hammer + Sushi Axe
- The ability “Hyper Boost” will now increase movement speed even more.
- The strength of normal attacks has been reduced.
- The timing at which successful back attacks can be canceled has been sped up.
- The range of wide attacks has been reduced slightly.
- The following adjustments have been made to “Power Buster”.
Cooldown time has been increased.
The timing with which Super Armor is engaged has been delayed slightly.
Attack power has been increased.
Attack range has been reduced slightly.
With the adjustments this time, we have balanced “Power Buster” and increased the time needed to destroy drones, and made other enhancements to balance this out.
“Power Buster” is an extremely effective attack, and we observed many situations in which it was able to completely dominate a wild battle.
With this latest adjustment, it will take slightly longer for Super Armor to activate, meaning you will have to be more careful with timing when you use it.
In addition, to compensate for attacks being more difficult to land, they will now be more effective when they hit.
It will now be more effective to land finishing blows in complicated situations, as well as to take drones away from your opponents.
We believe you will observe that its “explosive power” has increased.
The combo of “Power Buster” and two normal attacks will still be effective, so we believe that this adjustment will not result in significantly altered firepower in battle.
Iron Noise + Drum Beat
- Normal attacks have received the following adjustments:
Sound wave bullets will now appear more quickly.
Sound wave bullets will now begin homing more quickly.
The timing at which one can cancel by jumping and evading has been accelerated.
- The following adjustments have been made to “Echoing Scream”:
You will now move further when attacking.
You will now move earlier when attacking.
The position of sound waves generated has been altered so that it is easier for the attack to land.
The weapons “Iron Noise” and “Drum Beat”, while effective when used for support in Team Battles, often struggled in Battle Royale matches.
These adjustments will make it easier to effectively use these weapons’ sound waves, and it will now be easier to hit opponents with “Echoing Scream”.
Use sound waves effectively and bring the beat down on your opponents!
Ninja Yo-yo + Shinobi Spinner
- The second hit of normal attacks will now do more damage.
- The homing ability of back attacks has been reduced.
- The duration of gum binds inflicted with break attacks has been extended slightly.
- The warp timing for “Yo-yo Leap” has been sped up.
With the adjustments made last update, the “Ninja Yo-yo” and “Shinobi Spinner” weapons are not as powerful as they once were, but they remain highly popular.
This time, we have enhanced these weapons in some ways, with the goal of making the yo-yo even more uniquely suited for a tricky fighting style.
The reduced homing ability of back attacks will mean it will now be more difficult to hit opponents who dodge to the side.
Furthermore, we have increased the damage dealt by the second hit of normal attacks to ensure that combo damage is not reduced too much.
Mellow à la Mode + Trick Ball
- The cancel timing for the second hit of normal attacks has been sped up.
- Wide attacks have received the following adjustments:
The hit detection range for the first hit has been reduced slightly.
The vertical hit detection range for the second hit has been expanded.
With both “Mellow à la Mode” and “Trick Ball”, the time required to transform your foe and then do damage with a combo was quite long, making it easy to be interrupted by other players.
With this adjustment, the tempo of normal attacks has been sped up, making it easier to land combos and defeat your opponents quickly.
All Gum Weapons
- The homing ability of break attacks has been adjusted so that homing cannot keep up with back attacks.
- The hitstop duration when landing a Gum Break on an opponent blowing a bubble or using an S-Burst has been shortened.
- The amount of S-Energy consumed by avoiding parries has been reduced from 4 to 3 units.
- The time it takes to launch an attack has been shortened.
It will now be possible to attack more quickly than before, allowing weapons to be more useful in various situations.
- The reaction when a player is hit by an initial attack has been altered to make it easier to land consecutive attacks.
- The distance traveled with follow-up attacks has been increased, also making it easier to pursue opponents.
- The effect time of “Punishing Blade” has been shortened.
The weapon “Drill Beast”, which allows players to use “Punishing Blade”, is tremendously popular, particularly among players from the Apprentice to Vanguard Ninja ranks.
However, at ranks of Elite Ninja and above, both its winning percentage and usage rate drop dramatically.
This is because Punishing Blade leaves the user unprotected when being activated. As players become more experienced and aware of this, Punishing Blade is often quickly targeted, resulting in the user getting punished instead.
Even when attacks successfully hit, it could be interrupted by other players before a combo could be landed, letting opponents escape.
With this adjustment, successfully landing an attack once will make it more difficult for opponents to get away, making it easier to punish them until the end.
To offset this and ensure that it does not become overly popular among the Apprentice to Vanguard Ninja ranks, the duration has been shortened.
- Cooldown time has been reduced.
- Effect duration has been shortened.
Currently, Gum Searcher appears difficult to use, and has not been producing good results, so we have reduced the cooldown time.
With the reduced cooldown, it will now be possible to set it near drones as a diversionary tactic, allowing it to be used more widely in various situations.
All Gum Shoots
- All gum shoots can now be canceled by Specials
We have implemented a number of improvements to the Ninjala UI.
- Parry Guide HUD
- An icon has been added to indicate a big weapon wins out over a smaller weapon with the same attack. This adjustment will make it easier to tell when a parry was won or lost normally, or due to weapon size.
- When choosing your parry attack, attacks with a Super Armor effect in the event of a tie will be indicated as such with an icon.
- After choosing your parry attack, when a tie results in Super Armor being activated, this will be indicated with an icon.
Certain Yo-yo and Hammer Type weapons offer a Super Armor effect in the event that you and your opponent choose the same attack type. This UI modification will make it easier to recognize which weapons offer this effect, as well as when the effect is activated.
- It will now be easier to understand the current matching situation in the Standby Dojo. The remaining number of users still preparing in the lobby will now be displayed. When everyone is ready, it will change to a message indicating that the battle will begin soon.
- The initial list displayed after selecting Room Battle has been changed to include Team Battles.
- In the event that players have formed a party, it will now be possible to see which players are currently partied with each other in the Matching Lobby and elsewhere.
- The initial cursor position for the matching confirmation screen has been switched to “Yes”.
- Yes/No confirmation windows can now be closed with the B Button.
Other Additions and Adjustments
- The remaining effect duration of "Punishing Blade" is now displayed on-screen.
- The attack range of “Echoing Scream” has been adjusted to that it matches the range of the visual effect.
- The Reverse Mode camera setting has been altered so that it no longer affects gyroscope controls.
- When crafting weapons by pressing the ZL and A Buttons simultaneously, the gum will automatically expand to the maximum possible size and create a weapon.
- At beginner levels, the message “Find a drone and defeat it!” will now appear at the start of battle.
- At times when you are unable to blow a bubble, an icon will now be displayed to indicate this situation.
- A number indicating transmission speed will now be displayed at the start of battle and on the Results screen.
- The positions of the “Standings” and “Detailed Results” buttons on the Results screen have been altered.
- The Player Info screen has been adjusted to show level/EXP and rating gauges.
- The Chapter Rewards screen in Story Mode has been changed to show obtainable rewards and the conditions for obtaining them.
- The disbanding time limit for Ninjala Battles has been reduced from 150 seconds to 70 seconds.
Resolution of Known Issues
- An issue where camera speed would unnaturally increase when performing certain actions while “Piercing Mixer” was engaged has been resolved.
- An issue with the “Mellow à la Mode” and “Trick Ball” weapons where defeating an enemy with a normal attack or back attack blast would not result in an IPPON even if the requisite conditions were met has been resolved.
- An issue where player face icons did not display properly has been resolved.
- An issue where banners did not display properly when at your base has been resolved.
- An issue where Story Mode chapter rewards were not properly displayed has been resolved.
In addition to the above, additional refinements and bug fixed have been implemented to ensure a smoother, more enjoyable game experience.
* Updating to Ver 2.0 is mandatory for all players.
* To download the update, sufficient free space is required in your console’s internal storage or an installed microSD card.
* All information is accurate as of the time of posting.
Have you updated to version 2.0 yet? Noticed anything else? Leave a comment down below.
Cool cool cool
Never been so excited for a game and dropped so hard off it. Played a few hours of random matches and did the first story chapter. Was hoping for a Splatoon replacement but this doesn't hold a candle to Splatoon.
Also the loot box mechanics and the weapon skins only being one time use left a terrible impression.
Ninjala didn't have worldwide matchmaking before now? What the heck?
@Specters thought it was a Splatoon clone from the beginning. Watched some videos, was proven right. Glad I didn't waste my money
Hey guys, how about release a new map? There's literally 2 maps in the game, and only one of them is actually good.
I tried and wasn't a fan. Good to see that they are improving it though, I might give it a try again. I am not really into "free to play" games though.
Hoping for some new content, perhaps a paid version that removes most of the frustrating parts.
Splatoon 2 launched with more! This honestly feels like something I'd find on mobile.
Just couldnt get into this and preferred splatoon. Was a delete day one but can see some of the younger people enjoy this.
@MeowMeowKins The first Splatoon released with hardly any content. I felt ripped off when I bought it. That changed with updates but there was no reason to buy it at launch.
Also I keep seeing people compare this to Splatoon, that's like comparing Dark Souls to Dragon's Dogma because both games have a medieval fantasy setting and the player character is a "chosen one".
This game is fun. Here's hoping more people give it a fair shot. The gameplay takes some time to get used to, but it's fun once you get the hang of it. Also the soundtrack is godly and overall has more bumping tracks than Splatoon imo. Such as:
Fight Now We Ready
Beautiful In Navy
I want Ninjala in Smash Bros just for the OST.
honestly beyond aesthetic its not much like splatoon. i hope the updates can help the game cause it can leave a pretty bad first impression. it didnt really explain the mechanics well and i was losing matches hard at first. also for a game with rank battle elements random stuff like the rock-paper-scissors mechanic is frustrating and dumb
@NinjaWaddleDee a new japan themed map is coming next season aug 26! also a new skateboard weapon class
happy to hear the team will continue to pay close attention to the games meta, and being very transparent about changes and feedback. i can see a long life ahead of it with the planned updates, story chapters, cartoon shorts, and events
the entire game feels just like a splatoon spiritual clone. just with ninjas ***** instead of ink. could almost say whoever worked on this game mightve also helped with splatoon. and i would believe you.
I fell off this game too but it's not because the game was terrible per say but because I'm not much for multiplayer games anyway so I was never going to play it long.
Also all the people saying this is like Splatoon must be joking. Only in aesthetics does it look influenced.Otherwise this game is a strategic brawler while splatoon is a shooter. The games are nothing a like otherwise LOL. The gameplay is like a whole other genre.
@Tourtus that's true. I bought it a week afterwards, and I didn't play much. I started playing more when dualies came out, and the rest is history. But let's see about the similarities...
Both have kid teen characters
Both have an object that aids movement
Both have a heavy focus on pvp
Both are mostly online
Etc. If you think it isn't, cool, but I think it is.
@ReikoMortis dude, first one for me was Fall Guys. My favorite YouTuber played it, I bought it, and it's a blast. If you have a PC or a PlayStation, you should try it.
@boxyguy I can't. Free to play, bleh. And the one time weapon skins make me want to commit dubstep.
@graysoncharles I mean on like, battle passes and stuff. I'm not a complete bozo, lol
I believe the one time weapon skins were gotten rid of in the 1.2 update. 🤔👍
@ACNHislit oh good. One time weapon skins are just stupid.
I'm actually playing Ninjala more than I have been with Splatoon 2. 🤔👍
I'm glad I was able to inform you of that.
I remember checking after that update released and was like "the lowest amount of gum for each is now 2 or more".
Yeah, one time skins are dumb, I just usually stick with the infinite weapon skin.
I'm I the only one here, besides for JR150 who actually likes Ninjala?
Yeah, I agree. 👍
@ACNHislit think so, but it's your opinion. Nobody's stopping you from liking it. I know a couple of people who like Sonic Forces, and I think that game is God awful.
I know, I just feel like people aren't giving Ninjala a fair shot because it's free to play. 🤔
I also want Ninjala to do well and succeed. 👍
@ACNHislit Hey man I don't know what you're talking about the consumable weapon skins are still very much in the game. Just logged on to check.
I know they are, but I noticed they're no longer a one time consumption only. 🤔
@ACNHislit nope it's still consumable. You're misinforming people. That's great you want it to succeed but don't lie to people about what is in the game.
@ACNHislit there's a reason most games are free to play. It's because they aren't very good. Maybe not fair to Ninjala, but that's why mobile games are bashed so much.
@Specters probably not lying, just a case of misinformation.
I really can't get over the appalling toddler faces for the character models... But I finally received my Switch from the repair center, so I guess I can give it a shot regardless.
@ACNHislit cool. I dont play splatoon anymore but its still better than ninjala.. but here opinions are all different. Also its not bad because its a free to play game... its bad because it doesnt have much content and its overall a chore to play. Its just a time wasting game and my time is better invested in better games.
@KnightsTemplar also i had this downloaded and tried for a week... i wanted to to like it.. sadly.. its not for me.. same with animal crossing. That was so boring i gave it to my daughter
@MeowMeowKins yeah in the end ftp isnt for everyone, im at least glad stuff like weapons and maps will continue to be free so the core gameplay stays the same for everyone. and yeah consumable weapon skins are dumb, its hard to get specific colors and its not even worth switching through them. maybe if we could collect them and trade them for other stuff thatd be more enticing
@boxyguy You mean somewhat of a gacha system? It's kinda a good point and a bad point in AC:NH, but maybe it could work for this one, I don't know.
wait werent you replying to my comment on ninjala? not sure why you brought up AC lol. ninjalas ftp nature doesnt offend me as much since its all for cosmetics
Boy do I wish this game was like 40 bucks or something, and so you don't have to pay for cosmetics.(Oh yeah I don't like the visuals so I won't buy cosmetics anyway LUL)
Even though the consumable weapon skins are still there, there are no longer 1 time consumable skins, and instead are 2, 4, or 10 time consumable weapon skins.
I'm sorry if I wasn't clear before.
I know, I just feel like some people in the comments (and on the internet, in general) are "bashing" Ninjala, even though they haven't played it at all.
Yeah, I don't play Splatoon that often anymore, as well.
Okay, that makes sense. 👍
So, you tried Ninjala for a week, or another game? 🤔
You did a @ to yourself, so I'm a little confused with your statement.
@boxyguy I brought AC:NH because you mentioned a gacha system. The villager thing is kinda a gacha system for me, buy a ticket, see what villager you get, and try again if you don't like them.
Tap here to load 41 comments
Leave A Comment
Hold on there, you need to login to post a comment...